Rear Crossmember & Fuel Tank Cradle for NAS D90 question - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 21st, 2010, 01:44 AM
Jason78
Jason Lawrence
1995 Defender 90

I am not sure of the part name,it looks like a rear body mount Crosses the frame and attaches in the rear wheel well in the front on top? That is the only rusted part on my 95 defender. Rovers north recommend to have a machine shop make one but I was wondering if any aftermarket companies make stock them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 21st, 2010, 03:00 AM
Rocketman
Scott Y
95 D90 SW, 2003 Disco II, 93 D110

Rufus,

You might want to check with YRM Metal Solutions in the UK. The show a lot of chassis bits for sale on their website. I just fitted their seat box ends on to my 110 seat box. Because of the number of rivets I used, I'd guess it to be better than new.
Old October 23rd, 2010, 08:30 AM
Rufus
Rufus
1994 NAS D90 ST #1118

Registry
I have a crossmember w/ extentions on the way from Stephen Peters at Safari Rover. It is from BritPart and will need to be tweaked a bit, but I am excited that I was able to find one.

Now I still have to figure out the fuel tank cradles.

I have an email into YRM metal solutions, but I did not see cradles as being a part they offered.

Richards Chasis told me to contact DDS in the UK so I have an email into them. Here is their site they took over the production of a lot of Landrover after-market parts.
http://www.ddsmetal.co.uk/acatalog/More_Info.html

Again, if anyone has any ideas on how I can get my hands on fuel tank cradles please let me know -I really need them and would like to replace them at the same time that I do the crossmember.

Rufus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 23rd, 2010, 09:19 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Pendy made me a set of NAS fuel tank cradles a few years back, much better than stock obviously. It wasn't free, but I thought the price was very fair.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old October 23rd, 2010, 08:40 PM
Rocketman
Scott Y
95 D90 SW, 2003 Disco II, 93 D110

Check with these guys. They show cradles on their d-90 chassis.

http://www.marslands.com/chassis/90/90f.htm
Old October 27th, 2010, 09:03 PM
Rufus
Rufus
1994 NAS D90 ST #1118

Registry
YRM Metal Solutions in the UK got back to me and said they dont have the fuel tank cradles, but could possibly fab them if they had a good examples.

DDS metal services in the UK didn't get back to me.
Old December 26th, 2010, 09:22 PM
Rufus
Rufus
1994 NAS D90 ST #1118

Registry
if anyone has any ideas on how I can get my hands on fuel tank cradles please let me know -I would like to replace mine at the same time that I do the crossmember. Maybe someone has an old NAS chassis and are willing to cut the cradles out (if they are in good shape)?
Old December 27th, 2010, 10:30 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Have you tried Richards Chassis? I emailed them recently with a random question about the weight of their chassis and they responded, so I expect they would at least respond. You hear of people wanting these more frequently so I expect they could sell a few if they offered them.

http://richardschassis.co.uk/
Old December 29th, 2010, 11:01 PM
Rufus
Rufus
1994 NAS D90 ST #1118

Registry
I contacted Richards Chasis back in April. No luck but I am still trying. They pointed me to DDS Metals Services in the UK. Here is their site they took over the production of a lot of Landrover after-market parts.
http://www.ddsmetal.co.uk/acatalog/More_Info.html
So I am trying with them but no luck so far.
I have been trying many leads and unfortunately coming up with nothing.
Old December 30th, 2010, 11:05 AM
ron
Ron
1994 NAS Defender 90

scott my welder should be able to make it.
Old January 7th, 2011, 10:35 PM
DieselDef
Brad Ingalls
1985 Defender

Did anyone find a source for the cradles? I've got a tank from a NAS truck that I need to fit to '85 D-90 and need a set too. As far as that goes, I'm in need of everything besides the tank. Can someone provide sources for the rest of the needed parts please? I'm hoping to get all the parts in hand and start the project in a couple of months. Well, more like April when it's a little warmer.
Old January 10th, 2011, 10:15 PM
Rufus
Rufus
1994 NAS D90 ST #1118

Registry
Hey Brad since we are both in the same boat (and perhaps others are as well) l'll let post what progress (or lack of) I have made thus far. As I figure sourcing the NAS fuel tank mounting brackets (also know as the NAS fuel tank cradles) can go 3 ways 1) find someone that is making them for NAS Chassis 2) have the brackets fabbed or 3) find a solid (non-rotted) NAS frame and have the brackets cut out. With that in mind, I have contancted the following: In the US I have reached out to ECR, Rovers North, DAP (in Vermont), 4x4 Center (also in VT), Safari Rover, and Pendy. In the UK: I have reached out to Richards Chassis, Marsland, Disigna Chassis, DDS Metal Solutions and YRM metal solutions. So far nothing has worked out yet, but I am still working on it. The best description for the parts is: the fuel tank mounting brackets for the NAS D90s or UK 50th anniversary V8 D90s from 1998. Richards chassis has a good description (scroll down to the bottom) http://www.richardschassis.co.uk/defender-chassis/defender-90.html It is important to note they are not the same as the fuel tank mounting brackets for the TD5 D90s which also have the fuel tank mounted in the back. Anyways, I am in touch with a lot of folks that have been really helpful and I am still trying to figure this out. Hopefully I am making progress and I thought I would share what I have done thus far.
Old January 11th, 2011, 10:00 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Hey, I have a set of NAS tank mounts in hand that are going to the fab guy to get an Idea on pricing. How many people would be interested? I will have them to him early next week.
Old January 11th, 2011, 11:24 AM
DieselDef
Brad Ingalls
1985 Defender

Good news! You've certainly got my interest. I wasn't looking forward to the prospect of having to make a set.
Old January 11th, 2011, 11:30 AM
wcampbel@nas.edu
Bill Campbell
1994 D-90 ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI Guy View Post
Hey, I have a set of NAS tank mounts in hand that are going to the fab guy to get an Idea on pricing. How many people would be interested? I will have them to him early next week.
I am interested as well depending on pricing of course.

B
Old January 11th, 2011, 08:48 PM
Rufus
Rufus
1994 NAS D90 ST #1118

Registry
Randy - Obviously I am interested as well. What are you using for the prototypes - fabbed cradles or ones that were cut out of a NAS frame? I am glad you are helping us out! Please share the pricing and the pics when they are available. Thanks, Rufus
Old January 11th, 2011, 08:59 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I have a set that has been cut off an original NAS chassis. I will keep everyone posted.
Old January 13th, 2011, 01:26 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Just a follow up. I am still willing to make these as well. But lets see what Randys guy can do them for. The guy that did them off a CAD drawing a few years back was cheap. Under a hundy.

If I can do 4 or more about 250.00 apiece. Which is what I have done them in the past for. Still have some models and a jig I made from wood for the cuts.

But lets see what Randys guy comes in at. Love to see them in a CAD drawing again for everyone to get access to.

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old January 14th, 2011, 10:10 PM
Rufus
Rufus
1994 NAS D90 ST #1118

Registry
I am a little out of my league with this question, but is it just me or did some of the NAS parts (such as the fuel tank cradles and the stock fuel tank bottom plate) seem like they were made out of a lesser grade of steel? The reason I say that is, those parts and some other NAS only parts seem like they rotted out quicker when other parts were not even rusting? I know those areas tend to trap moisture, etc. but they just seem like they lacked in quality. How about the tool box under the passenger seat, that is an NAS only part right? Anyone have that rot out way ahead of the battery box? which is the same kind of box? I don't know... I heard once a theory that when they out sourced all those NAS parts they didn't use as high a quality a grade of steel as the other parts. Just throwing it out there...
Old January 15th, 2011, 01:04 AM
DieselDef
Brad Ingalls
1985 Defender

Pendy, Are you talking about $250. per pair or per side? I hope you mean per pair.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, d90, fuel, fuel tank, nas