Rear cargo mat enigma... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 17th, 2007, 04:59 PM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

Question Rear cargo mat enigma...

Hello

This is what i know so far. There is two kind of rubber cargo mat for 90 defenders.

The big one (with the Land Rover logo) that cover also the wing top under back
seats. It's a great mat, i'm actually installing it and decided to screw everything on
top of mat (I hope I won't regret that ...).

The small one with the Defender lettering and the 5 bars pattern that covers only
bottom of back tube. It seems that there is 2 different small mats: STC7619 and
STC7898. As there is a 75 USD price difference beetween both products, does
anyone knows what is the clue ? Part manual says that one is for 90" SW and the
other 90" except SW. In what ways the kind of top you have will change the
shape of your back tube ?

Thanks for comments
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 17th, 2007, 05:12 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

I have both the big one and one of the small ones. I will have to look at the small one to see which it is, but fitting of the large one i took out of my ST and put into my SW, there does seem to be a slight variation in the sizing, perhaps due to the carpet in the NAS SWs.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old May 17th, 2007, 05:15 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

in the SW ones there was carpet i think that went up along the sides thus you really can't put a rubber mat over them. on the ST the rear tub was all metal so the rubber mat would cover it all.

don't quote me because i haven't seen all the years between the 90s that were SW and ST, but this is why i think they was a difference in the rear mats.

plus SWs had carpet because the top was always on thus the interior could be nicer and not get wet. the STs could be opened up so i think they went with an exposed metal tub so it would be fine in the weather.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 18th, 2007, 11:26 AM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

I believe the large mat difference has to do with the speakers. I can't speak to the 94/95's, but on our '97's the ST rear speaker box protrudes out further and the speaker is slightly angled to the inside. The SW speaker is virtually flush with the rear panel because of the tight proximity of the rear jump seat. (Removing a rear speaker/housing from an SW without removing the rear jump seat bottom first is a PITA.)
Old May 18th, 2007, 11:29 AM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

I'm still in the fog

For example if you check RN website, this is what you get:

The huge mat with Land Rover logo that cover wheel arches:
LR # STC4629 RN # RNF468 priced at 159.95
http://www.roversnorth.com/store/sea...&Issubmit=True

The smaller mat with Defender lettering and 5 bars pattern:
LR # STC7619 RN # RNI075 priced at 192.63

The smaller mat with Defender lettering and 5 bars pattern:
LR # STC7898 RN # RNI061 priced at 192.63

Pictures of last 2 items are showing identical items.

I'v been writing mails to RN but they seems to be a little
confused also
Old May 18th, 2007, 11:41 AM
ini88
Daniel Marcello

I have a ST and bought the first on you have linked (http://www.roversnorth.com/store/se...8&Issubmit=True), LR # STC4629 RN # RNF468, because my tub is all metal.

let me ask, does your 2005 Tdi have carpet in the back? jump seats? if it does, you will need to get the smaller mat. if you have no seats or no carpets in the tub i would say get the larger mat that covers the tops of the wheel wells
Old May 18th, 2007, 12:19 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

I also just got stc4629 last month for my ST. It does, in fact, cover the wheel arches as well.
Old May 18th, 2007, 12:49 PM
Dreamline
Nate Keisling
94 D90 ST

Cargo mat and truck bed

Has anyone that bought the first mat listed for the ST ever put Dynamat or anything else between the metal bed and the cargo mat to give extra sound/vibration reduction?

I have a completely empty metal bed and just trying to get ideas for what to lay down.

Thanks.
Old May 18th, 2007, 12:56 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamline
Has anyone that bought the first mat listed for the ST ever put Dynamat or anything else between the metal bed and the cargo mat to give extra sound/vibration reduction?

I have a completely empty metal bed and just trying to get ideas for what to lay down.

Thanks.
Do a search on 'Line x' or 'rhino lining'. I had Line-x put all through the interior of my truck.
Some have gone so far as to put Dynamat down first and then had it line-x/rhino lined.
Old May 18th, 2007, 01:28 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamline

Thanks.
I haven't done that but I am also interested in lining it with something then putting the mat over it. the sounds is ridiculous back there. I got Troys boxes and boled them to the wheel wells over the mat, so the mat stays put and the boxes are loaded up so the noise did go down a lot.

Dreamline, where about in Scranton are you? my parents live in Binghamton, NY and im up there all the time visiting them. any good trails in that area?
Old May 18th, 2007, 02:02 PM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ini88
I have a ST and bought the first on you have linked (http://www.roversnorth.com/store/se...8&Issubmit=True), LR # STC4629 RN # RNF468, because my tub is all metal.

let me ask, does your 2005 Tdi have carpet in the back? jump seats? if it does, you will need to get the smaller mat. if you have no seats or no carpets in the tub i would say get the larger mat that covers the tops of the wheel wells
The truck came with a nightmare rubber carpet, the kind of stuff impossible to clean,
with very thin channel so it will trap the dirt...for life. The rest of the back tube was
bare metal and bench seats, no speakers.

I actually finishing to install the big mat (STC4629), I didn't put any liner because I
think the mat is thick enough. As i'm not cutting out the carpet, but screwing seats
and anchorage points in top of carpet, i need an extra carpet that i can remove and
clean easily.

I just got an answer from RN, it seems that RNI075 and RNI061 are pretty
much identical items.
Old May 18th, 2007, 03:56 PM
kolvedic
Bill Lewis
1995 White SW 339/500

Registry
I dynamated the entire back of my SW (the cargo area and the wheel wells, not the roof and sides) and the front foot wells just before I took a long trip across country. I got the dynamat in packs from ebay with a total cost of about 200 or less. I honestly though the bang would be bigger (or softer ) . It did reduce my ambient noise. I found that I only had to have my stereo at about 3/4 of the volume I used to have it set at to get the same result. I did put new RN carpet pieces, by seats and I usually also carry my rubber mat.

All in all, the truck still produces a quite a bit of noise but the dynamat reduced it. Most of the noise I get now is from the engine compartment, especially if I have my vents open. I considered using the dynamat or similar engine compartment stuff, but haven't researched it that much.

anyone done that and seen decent results?

For me, I loved the truck before and after. The noise in a way is part of the charm.

Bill
Old May 18th, 2007, 05:12 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by kolvedic
I dynamated the entire back of my SW (the cargo area and the wheel wells, not the roof and sides) and the front foot wells just before I took a long trip across country. I got the dynamat in packs from ebay with a total cost of about 200 or less. I honestly though the bang would be bigger (or softer ) . It did reduce my ambient noise. I found that I only had to have my stereo at about 3/4 of the volume I used to have it set at to get the same result. I did put new RN carpet pieces, by seats and I usually also carry my rubber mat.

All in all, the truck still produces a quite a bit of noise but the dynamat reduced it. Most of the noise I get now is from the engine compartment, especially if I have my vents open. I considered using the dynamat or similar engine compartment stuff, but haven't researched it that much.

anyone done that and seen decent results?

For me, I loved the truck before and after. The noise in a way is part of the charm.

Bill
Waiting for Clark to get his hands on some quitecar so that he can give us a full report.
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=11709
Old May 18th, 2007, 06:20 PM
mattarm
Matt
1993 D110

I put down dynamat extreme in the front toe boxes as well as the entire rear tub. I did notice a difference in sound. Not a complete elimination of sound all together, but I did get rid of that tin can sound back in the back for me far worth the $125 in materials (amazon). I have RNF468 on order now and hope to get it installed next weekend. I plan on securing some hardware through the rubber mat/dynamat.
Attached Images

Old May 19th, 2007, 12:39 AM
cdb
Clark Bowen
1969 Series 2a/OM617 Bugeye 88"

QuietCar

I got the QuietCar stuff and now I'm screwing up my courage to spray it on the underside of the bonnet. The bonnet is pristine now and I'm leary of messing it up. Shane of RoverHybrids (who did all of the work on the D90) thinks I should DynaMat Extreme it - so he's no help.
When it stops raining (this is Oregon, so that'll probably be in July) I'll give it a go.
Also, I think a lot of the engine noise is projected downward and reflects back up off the asphalt. I'm going to drive over my grass field and then the driveway to test my theory.

Clark
Old May 21st, 2007, 03:10 PM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

I'm ordering Land Rover item number STC7619 RoversNorth item number RNI075
so as soon as I have it, I'll post description and exact size. I hope I'm getting the
right item because returning an item is not an option for me , too far fot that.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions