Rear cargo area of my D-90 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 20th, 2008, 01:04 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Rear cargo area of my D-90

I have a couple of questions about my defender - I want to remove the brackets that hold my rear seat in. Do I have to get under the vehicle and hold the nuts while I unscrew the bolts in the truck? Same question for the seatbelts.

Second question - I was thinking about dynomatting the rear cargo area but since I have a soft top I wonder what will happen if I get the rear wet. I have a rubber load matt but it isn't like it is water tight.

thoughts?

thanks

Oh wait third question - where can I get the rear speaker housing for a 97 defender? I like that it covers the seatbelt brackets unlike my 94s.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 20th, 2008, 01:11 PM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

On the first one, it's a two people job, unless you don't have the top on and you can reach both sides at the same time. I did it a few months ago and changed all the hardware to stainless and bolted everything on top of the rear mat. It' splashproof but not waterproof.
Old October 20th, 2008, 01:28 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

How can you reach under the truck and the front brackets as a one man job? Are you stretch armstrong?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 20th, 2008, 02:05 PM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf
How can you reach under the truck and the front brackets as a one man job? Are you stretch armstrong?
The floor brackets have captured nuts on the under side, the brackets that mount to the side of the wheel well do not, but one man can remove them..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old October 20th, 2008, 02:24 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

so the floor bolts should be super easy to remove? the nuts on the underside can I replace them easily?
Old October 20th, 2008, 03:04 PM
AggieD90
Kevin Collins
'95 AA Yellow & '97 Willow Green

I'm interested in the dynomat stuff too. I figure if it's good enough for Mike it's good enough for me.
Old October 20th, 2008, 03:06 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

I did my doors but with a soft top I wonder how it will age under the rubber matt.
Old October 20th, 2008, 03:43 PM
draaronr
Here
LR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf
I did my doors but with a soft top I wonder how it will age under the rubber matt.
I did my doors and the wheel wells along with sides and it made a big difference in the truck, especially with the soft top on. with it off all I could hear was the tires.
Old October 20th, 2008, 04:10 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

but what about getting it wet? that rubber matt isnt exactly water proof. I have pulled it up before to find puddle under it from poor washing jobs on my part

Follow-up Post:

One other thing fi the bolts that hold the front of the rar seat to the floor are captive nuts, then shouldnt it be easy to remove these brackets anytime you want to put something in the back like ECR 206? Or will the bolts fall out of their captive holders?
Old October 20th, 2008, 06:56 PM
AggieD90
Kevin Collins
'95 AA Yellow & '97 Willow Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf
but what about getting it wet? that rubber matt isnt exactly water proof. I have pulled it up before to find puddle under it from poor washing jobs on my part

Follow-up Post:

One other thing fi the bolts that hold the front of the rar seat to the floor are captive nuts, then shouldnt it be easy to remove these brackets anytime you want to put something in the back like ECR 206? Or will the bolts fall out of their captive holders?
I take my rear seat (brackets, seat belt buckles) out regularly. It's an easy job to do by yourself and no the nuts don't fall out of the holders (or at least mine never have).
Old October 20th, 2008, 06:57 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Here is what it looks like, 2 nuts welded to a strip of metal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Captive Nuts.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	15823  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old October 20th, 2008, 07:21 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

thanks. that is really helpful!
Old October 21st, 2008, 11:39 AM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
I did them all myself to put in a new load mat. It wasn't bad. I think the best advice I got was a locking wrench (I know it has a real name) but that made it so I could do the brackets on the side. I haven't put them back in. I don't really use the seat and I love being able to put things in the back without those brackets there.

I have a 95 with the speaker covers that includ the seat belt, so that may boraden your search.

What about a rhino liner type product over the dynamat to seal it up and then your rubber mat on top of that? I think this has been discussed around here somewhere but I'd be curious to see how you like your final product whatever you choose.

Alex
Old October 21st, 2008, 12:11 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

I got the brackets out last night but I didnt have captive nuts. Maybe because mine was a 94. Who knows. I got them out with a lockwrench and by getting under the truck. Fun fun. I am going to have all the brackets stripped and repainted. I want to replace the load mat as well. Who ever put the brackets in originally cut the load mat around them. It came out well but over time it has ripped a bit. This time I only want to make holes for the bolts.
Old October 21st, 2008, 12:17 PM
Joe P
Joe Pfeiffer
Black 97 D-90ST #0605

lock wrench = vice grips

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, d-90