Rear Bumper/ST Tire Carrier Removal - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 10th, 2008, 02:37 PM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
Rear Bumper/ST Tire Carrier Removal

So- I have sprayed the bolts for the past two weeks with penetrating oil. I have been nice to them so far but I am struggling with the bolts for the bumper that are next to the fuel tank. Any suggestions?

Also- should I be doing the bumper or the tire carrier first? I want them both off.

Thanks,
Alex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 10th, 2008, 02:41 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

IR2135Ti
Old March 10th, 2008, 04:29 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Tire carrier has to come off first to get the bumper off. bottom right bracket will be in the way if you dont.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 10th, 2008, 04:45 PM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
IR2135Ti
What? You've lost me (which I admit isn't difficult).

Alex
Old March 10th, 2008, 04:49 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by aosias
What? You've lost me (which I admit isn't difficult).

Alex
Model# of an Impact wrench. Ron can be cryptic at times.
Old March 10th, 2008, 08:23 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Define struggling.

hth
charles
Old March 10th, 2008, 09:05 PM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin
Define struggling.
I crank on the rachet and I can get it to spin but I can't get anything to hold the nut (save the jokes boys ).
Old March 10th, 2008, 09:18 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
It has been so long since I took mine off, I can't recall where the bolts were near the tank, but try get some big vice grips on the nut in a position that will hold against the frame as you crank the ratchet.
Old March 11th, 2008, 12:27 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Are you talking about the bolts on the "extension bars" that run from the bottom of the bumper to the brackets that mount the fuel tank? If you can't get a wrench wiggled in back there to hold the nut, and you don't want to drop the fuel tank cradle then just get a dremel tool and cut the heads off. The bolts are cheap and probably rusted anyway.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old March 11th, 2008, 11:14 AM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
Are you talking about the bolts on the "extension bars" that run from the bottom of the bumper to the brackets that mount the fuel tank? If you can't get a wrench wiggled in back there to hold the nut, and you don't want to drop the fuel tank cradle then just get a dremel tool and cut the heads off. The bolts are cheap and probably rusted anyway.
I like this plan. I have not desire to go near dropping the fuel tank. My "experience" with Junior has toaught me that he likes to take what shoule be simple and make it complicated and mostly expensive! Then again he is a Rover...

So then the next questions are: What size bolts do I need to purchase, can I tool around without these bolts in place as this is my daily dirver, and do I need to do anything to help with spark control with cutting or just cut away?
Old March 11th, 2008, 11:41 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I've never bothered to put those bolts back on my truck, and I've run around towing trailers and stuff, so it'll hold great for just driving. The bumper is held on with a lot of bolts - one on each end, two from behind the crossmember, 2-4 straight up into the bottom of the crossmember, and the last two that we are mentioning. If you want to put them back I think they are M10x25mm.

You can just start cutting, there will be be some sparks, but they really dont do much - they don't even hurt when they hit your skin. If you have some leaky fuel tank or work in a pure oxygen environment I would take some steps though.

Have you used the Dremel with the glass-reinforced cutoff wheels before?

Old March 11th, 2008, 11:58 AM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
I've never bothered to put those bolts back on my truck, and I've run around towing trailers and stuff, so it'll hold great for just driving. The bumper is held on with a lot of bolts - one on each end, two from behind the crossmember, 2-4 straight up into the bottom of the crossmember, and the last two that we are mentioning. If you want to put them back I think they are M10x25mm.

You can just start cutting, there will be be some sparks, but they really dont do much - they don't even hurt when they hit your skin. If you have some leaky fuel tank or work in a pure oxygen environment I would take some steps though.

Have you used the Dremel with the glass-reinforced cutoff wheels before?
I haven't used the glass-reinforced cutoff wheels but I am assuming I can get them at Home Depot. I don't have any reason to think there is any kind of gas leak (for now...) I am planning on replacing the fuel tank plate anyway so I think I'll wait to replace the bolts then. Just wanted to make sure this wasn't goint to encourage the fuel tank from dropping itself.
Old March 11th, 2008, 12:14 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Yep, you can get them at home depot - may as well spend a few bucks and get the 20-pack. They break sometimes and they're much cheaper in the 20-pack instead of the 5-pack.

The bolt affects the fuel skid not at all, so cut away.

Old March 11th, 2008, 10:22 PM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
Thanks for the help- all reoved this afternoon with only one broken bolt. BUT...ya'll failed to warn me that removing that much weight off of Junior's @ss would make him ride high and not fit in the garage!
Old March 11th, 2008, 10:55 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Wow, I'm not sure it had that affect on mine. Will need to keep the tank full (or air down)
Old March 17th, 2008, 06:45 PM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

I just removed mine half an hour ago and the damned thing fought me every step of the way!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
bumper, carrier, tire, tire carrier