Rear bumper options - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 7th, 2010, 10:29 AM
alastair
AJS
84/94/95/2013

Rear bumper options

As my 1984 truck is slowly brought back to life I'm starting to address smaller issues. The truck, a ROW 84' has the standard rear cross member with a ball hitch. I like the NAS step-bumper, but they don't come up too often. What are some of the other options for a rear bumper? I'm looking for something that will offer a step for my dogs to use when getting into the back. A 2" receiver would be a bonus. Is the NAS bumper the best bet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 7th, 2010, 11:07 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
I personally added a custom made 2" receiver because I wanted a better departure angle. If you do want a NAS bumper, let me know as I have one and I'm coming to the realization that it's silly to keep hoarding it as I'll never use it again. I think the brit boys are headed to NY later this week so we might be able to arrange free shipping too.
Old July 7th, 2010, 01:51 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

I'm eventually going to want to come up with something as well. I'd much rather have a 2" receiver than the current OEM ball hitch thats there. In my searches I've found this, maybe it'll help you as well.

http://www.rigidhitch.com/default.as...emcode=2201172
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 7th, 2010, 03:25 PM
alastair
AJS
84/94/95/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstrubl View Post
I'm eventually going to want to come up with something as well. I'd much rather have a 2" receiver than the current OEM ball hitch thats there. In my searches I've found this, maybe it'll help you as well.

http://www.rigidhitch.com/default.as...emcode=2201172

That looks like a good alternative for someone that just wants the hitch. I've decided that my 130lb dogs would appreciate the transitional step between the ground and the rear bed; so the step bumper is the way to go.
Old July 7th, 2010, 09:38 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

maybe that plus a receiver step?
Old July 7th, 2010, 10:18 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I can't see the BMD using the step on the way down.
Old July 8th, 2010, 08:58 AM
Gunmaker
Michael Ullman
1995 D90 SW #270

Registry
I have been thinking along the same lines as you but for different reasons. My NAS bumper is rusting out and has several holes in it. When I had the frame swap done it was one of the things that I left on but since then it has gotten much worse. Infact I would be leary to use it as a recovery point. I have thougth about trying to find a used bumper and have been keeping my eyes out for one but I think shipping would be as bad or worse to south Texas. Anyway I have thought of using something like this http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-5...der-90110.aspx and then making a step that I could slide in there for my children to get in and out of the back as the Defender is also my daily driver. When I went wheeling it would also give me a better departure angle as I could just pull out the step. I do like the looks of the bumper but understand its downside when wheeling also.
Michael
Old July 8th, 2010, 09:08 AM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

yeah but what I found is 1/4 the price.
Old July 8th, 2010, 09:29 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Do you know if the bolt holes will match up? I agree that Rovers North piece is bucks and I don't care for the angles (I know it adds strength/stiffness) on the sides. They would likely catch a kid's leg getting in or out.

I'm in the same boat as a few on here - want a receiver to haul extra bikes if needed, want the step so the kids can pop into the back more easily, and also want the clearance when on the trail.

For the dog - he just pops up and jumps out - no need for a step. Having the side facing seats gives him a bit of a runway. Alastair - I think for the BMD a ladder setup might be a good call.
Old July 8th, 2010, 01:51 PM
Gunmaker
Michael Ullman
1995 D90 SW #270

Registry
Quote:
Indeed much cheaper. I don't like how far it stickes out but they do that so reciever is a bit higher I assume. I would not get the one from Rovers North as I figure I could make one like it pretty easly. Not a very complicated design. Right up my alley...Simple.
Old July 8th, 2010, 02:26 PM
alastair
AJS
84/94/95/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
I can't see the BMD using the step on the way down.
Most of them just leap blindly, but I look after a friend's dog that tip toes off every high surface. I quite like the idea of the receiver-plate with an aftermarket step using the 2” receiver. However, even the most expensive bike racks seem to wobble and creak; so I have to imagine an aftermarket step would do the same thing. In the end I was able to work out a deal with Charles for his NAS bumper. It’s hurtling north on the NJ Turnpike as I type. I just need to motivate myself into driving to Manhattan to pick it up!
Old August 14th, 2010, 02:32 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

I got the rigid hitch receiver tube today.
Its a perfect fit for the holes on my ROW rear crossmember. Distance btw the holes horizontally is 3.5", vertically just over 1.75" (which is really really close). When installed it'll stick out about half as far as the spare.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hitch.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	159.9 KB
ID:	30097  
Old August 14th, 2010, 09:46 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

anybody in DC/VA/MD want to turn some wrenches tomorrow?
I want to throw on this hitch plate, I have the 24 MM socket and a breaker bar but I might need to use a torch or something to loosen the bolts as they are FROZEN SOLID. Shouldn't take too long and I'll buy lunch!
Old August 18th, 2010, 08:00 AM
Hazard
David Hazard
95 D-90

Quote:
I got the rigid hitch receiver tube today.
Its a perfect fit for the holes on my ROW rear crossmember. Distance btw the holes horizontally is 3.5", vertically just over 1.75" (which is really really close). When installed it'll stick out about half as far as the spare.
That is exactly what I'm looking for. Does anyone know if these holes will line up with a NAS defender?
Old August 18th, 2010, 09:31 AM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

Quote:
.................... Distance btw the holes horizontally is 3.5", vertically just over 1.75......
I can measure exactly (or post a pic with a tape measure) when I get home today.
Old August 19th, 2010, 12:58 AM
jaygoss
Jay Goss
'60 Series II Station Wagon

http://www.pangolin4x4.com/pangolin4...s/hitches.html

Ike is a Rover enthusiast and a nice guy to deal with.
1971 SIIa SWB (sold)
2000 Disco SII (sold)
1995 RR Classic SWB TWR edition (sold)
Old August 19th, 2010, 06:25 AM
Hazard
David Hazard
95 D-90

Quote:
I can measure exactly (or post a pic with a tape measure) when I get home today.
Thanks!
Old August 19th, 2010, 11:05 AM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaygoss View Post
http://www.pangolin4x4.com/pangolin4...s/hitches.html

Ike is a Rover enthusiast and a nice guy to deal with.
I actually spoke with him about a month or so ago. It was almost double the price of what I eventually ordered and we werent sure it if would fit. If it does that would be another good way to go though.

-----
I forgot to take the pic last night, will do tonight after HH
Old August 19th, 2010, 08:21 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

pic with measuring tape attached (sorry for the clarity)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hitch.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	30241  
Old August 19th, 2010, 09:33 PM
jaygoss
Jay Goss
'60 Series II Station Wagon

Quote:
I actually spoke with him about a month or so ago. It was almost double the price of what I eventually ordered and we werent sure it if would fit. If it does that would be another good way to go though.

-----
I forgot to take the pic last night, will do tonight after HH
I actually have a galvanized one in my garage- but my D90 is in the body shop being repainted/reassembled. When I get it back in a week or so I'm planning on removing the NAS rear step bumper and installing Ike's hitch assembly. If folks from this thread are still looking for a bolt-on solution at that point, I'll post my findings here.
1971 SIIa SWB (sold)
2000 Disco SII (sold)
1995 RR Classic SWB TWR edition (sold)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
bumper