Rear bumper options - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 19th, 2010, 09:43 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Last I checked, hitches made for the Series do not line up with the holes in the Defender crossmember. Perhaps somebody can correct me. I think I got this info from Ike some years back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 22nd, 2010, 06:22 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

6 out of the 8 holes line up perfectly.

using grade 5 bolts it took 5 min to install. (getting the old one off was another story).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	receiver_hitch.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	165.0 KB
ID:	30318  
Old August 23rd, 2010, 09:16 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
Does it come with a backing plate? I thought the rear X member was not up to the task unless you had a backing plate. It is true that the sheet metal is a little thin (and thinner when rusted).
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 23rd, 2010, 09:24 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

no backing plate yet, i didn't plan on doing actual towing until i throw one on.
I was going to get a wide one 8-10"+ from scrap steel that fits inside of the cross-member rails, drill the holes to match the bolt locations before I towed anything.
I mostly have this for a cargo rack and bike rack I have for it.
Old August 23rd, 2010, 09:50 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonLand View Post
Does it come with a backing plate? I thought the rear X member was not up to the task unless you had a backing plate. It is true that the sheet metal is a little thin (and thinner when rusted).
Even then its still a really bad idea imho. I have said it before, any rear hitch that doesn't utilize the two bolt holes up by the middle of the fuel tank on the main frame rails is a very poor design and damage waiting to happen. The steel in the rear cross member is way too thin and not only isn't solid but rather two thin plates (easily bent bent with a ball peen hammer) with a large air gap in between. It doesn't matter how big the backing plate is. I have completely destroyed one of these hitches and "tweaked" a rear crossmember downward in less than 60 miles with a car trailer. Less is not more when it comes to hitches and safety.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old August 23rd, 2010, 10:44 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

good call, maybe I'll try to rig up a brace of some kind tying to that before I tow anything.
I think it'll be fine for a bike rack/cargo basket in the meantime though
Old August 24th, 2010, 08:14 AM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
http://www.simmonites.com/Defender%20exterior.htm maybe 2/3rds of the way down.

You little rebel, I like you.
Old December 17th, 2010, 05:35 PM
Gardner
Gardner Congdon
'84 RHD D90 300Tdi

Rigid receiver hitch

Thought I'd throw a pic up as I purchased one of these based on this thread...
I hadn't read Doug's comments at the time, but will prolly look at this again before I tow anything of any substance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstrubl View Post
I'm eventually going to want to come up with something as well. I'd much rather have a 2" receiver than the current OEM ball hitch thats there. In my searches I've found this, maybe it'll help you as well.

http://www.rigidhitch.com/default.as...emcode=2201172
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0825.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	34062  
Old February 12th, 2011, 07:17 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstrubl View Post
6 out of the 8 holes line up perfectly.

using grade 5 bolts it took 5 min to install. (getting the old one off was another story).
Update: 6 months later - the hitch was already totally covered in surface rust. Salty DC roads aren't helping. But I'd suggest anybody with it take it off sand down a bit and cover it in a fresh coat of paint before it introduces rust to an already weak crossmember... I used Rustoleum underbody rubberized something.
Old February 22nd, 2011, 10:23 AM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 130Tdi View Post
Even then its still a really bad idea imho. I have said it before, any rear hitch that doesn't utilize the two bolt holes up by the middle of the fuel tank on the main frame rails is a very poor design and damage waiting to happen. The steel in the rear cross member is way too thin and not only isn't solid but rather two thin plates (easily bent bent with a ball peen hammer) with a large air gap in between. It doesn't matter how big the backing plate is. I have completely destroyed one of these hitches and "tweaked" a rear crossmember downward in less than 60 miles with a car trailer. Less is not more when it comes to hitches and safety.
Doug, did any of the trucks you've seen from Europe come with an hitch? I'm many month away from looking at one again, but a few pics of the Euro setup might help folks understand/visualize how the factory intended towing to be done.
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
bumper