Rear brakes(?) squeak under load - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 24th, 2007, 11:31 PM
kolvedic
Bill Lewis
1995 White SW 339/500

Registry
Rear brakes(?) squeak under load

I had noticed a while back that when reversing uphill (like my driveway) the rear would squeak just a bit. It also seemed that backing up, I would hear it more often. I never heard anything squeak if the truck was moving forward.

Once it reached the point of annoying, I did a rear brake install, cleaned everything and reassembled it. Everything has been working great, no noise or anything for about 200 miles or so.

I went and picked up a trailer this weekend. When the trailer is on, the rear brakes squeak a lot whenever the brakes are applied. It seems strange that load would cause the brakes to react this way. The trailer is small and had nothing in it, so I can't imagine the load was that much.

I tried searching around but couldn't find anything like this, so I thought I would toss it out here and see if anyone has seen anything like this?

thanks,
Bill Lewis
Advertisement

Old June 25th, 2007, 12:08 AM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Do you have the stock rotors or the vented/cross-drilled gimmick?
Old June 25th, 2007, 12:17 PM
kolvedic
Bill Lewis
1995 White SW 339/500

Registry
Yeah, I guess I should have mentioned that I have the stock set up for brakes. I just replaced the pads with the Lockheed replacements. I didn't replace the rotors because they both looked pretty good. I do have the HD OME springs on the back which have been on for a few years now.

I have tried to replicate the sound before by applying manual pressure to get it to make any sound to see if I could see where it is coming from but could not get it to do it by hand, so it must take some decent pressure to make it happen.

Bill
Advertisement

Old June 25th, 2007, 03:17 PM
CaptMidnite
Daniel Choi
94 NAS Defender 90 ST

brake squeak normal....

My brakes tend to have a slight squeal. The local Land Rover dealer service department told me that slight brake squeal is completely normal. By the way, the factory-spec pads do NOT have squeal pads, so you won't know when the brakes are about to go....

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
brake