Rear bench seat D-90 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 9th, 2007, 01:56 PM
tcatalogne
Thor Catalogne
1994 Defender 90

Rear bench seat D-90

Still looking for a rear bench seat for my 1994 D-90. Can another vehicle bench seat be used?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 13th, 2007, 11:09 AM
ron
Ron
1994 NAS Defender 90

like this?
Attached Images
File Type: bmp defbench0707.bmp (877.7 KB, 298 views)
Old July 13th, 2007, 11:27 AM
D901619
oscar

I bought a bench seat for my CJ from Quadratech and it looks just like the one on my 97 D90. you might have to rig the mounting brackets a little but it looked simple to do. try going to a local junk yard that has Jeep parts and take a close look at their bench seats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 13th, 2007, 05:26 PM
kolvedic
Bill Lewis
1995 White SW 339/500

Registry
I bought a CJ Bestop rear seat from Quadratec that fits perfectly in the rear of my SW between the wells. I was originally going to put that in and decided to go back to the 4 fold downs in the back.

If you decide to go this way, you will need to figure out some bracketing to bring it more up off the floor as it sits pretty low and seat belts as well. The CJ's have a reat foot well and raised back to help with the sitting. You almost need to have brackets that raise the bottom of the seat to the height of the wells on either side to make it comfortable.

I had originally found a storage box (tuffy?) that measured like it would fit and then you could mount the seat to that, but that makes it pretty inconvenient to actually get into it. I would imagine if you had a heavy enough storage box, you could just mount one end of the seat belt hardware to the box and the other on the well.

Bill
Old September 20th, 2007, 12:18 PM
tcatalogne
Thor Catalogne
1994 Defender 90

Yes, do you still have it?
Old September 21st, 2007, 12:49 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcatalogne
Yes, do you still have it?

Thor

There is one in the "For Sale" section right now. Pretty good price too.
Old September 21st, 2007, 08:34 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

http://www.prpseats.com/store_seats.html#bl_s

Price new custom built is $369 in the correct width. Can even go wider if you lift it up a bit. I have no connection to these guys at all, they just make really great seats.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old June 9th, 2008, 09:32 PM
tebby
Justin Tebbenkamp
95 D-90 ST

Rear Bench Seat ...other idea...need info please!

Still haven't come up with a forward facing rear bench seat. Only one listed right now is $895...its nice..but not happening. Bestop makes a 33 inch flip&fold seat I can get from Quadratec for $260 shipped in black vinyl....looks pretty nice...what do you guys think? Check it out at http://www.quadratec.com/products/24276_1XX_PG.htm Comes with some useable hardware but definitely gonna have to weld up a mounting bracket. An earlier post stated there was 3 3/8 inch of clearance from the floor to the bottom of the base (in the most rear aspect of the seat). Can anybody give me the length from the floor to the top of the seat cushion (where the seat bolts down to the top surface of the cushion.)? Also what size bolts are used with the D90 bracket system? Gonna also weld up a beefy child latch system swiped from a yard..pics to follow. Anybody have a seat to sell to save me from these troubles please let me know!!! thanks j
Old June 9th, 2008, 10:51 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebby
Still haven't come up with a forward facing rear bench seat. Only one listed right now is $895...its nice..but not happening. Bestop makes a 33 inch flip&fold seat I can get from Quadratec for $260 shipped in black vinyl....looks pretty nice...what do you guys think? Check it out at http://www.quadratec.com/products/24276_1XX_PG.htm Comes with some useable hardware but definitely gonna have to weld up a mounting bracket. An earlier post stated there was 3 3/8 inch of clearance from the floor to the bottom of the base (in the most rear aspect of the seat). Can anybody give me the length from the floor to the top of the seat cushion (where the seat bolts down to the top surface of the cushion.)? Also what size bolts are used with the D90 bracket system? Gonna also weld up a beefy child latch system swiped from a yard..pics to follow. Anybody have a seat to sell to save me from these troubles please let me know!!! thanks j
I don't know what you plan on using it for, but 33in is super small. I have a 36in rear seat and the last time I let a couple sit back there the girl ended up pregnant. Yeah, its that tight. If you lift the seats up a bit you could get a 40in seat back there (38 min). That would be nice and comfy.

If I remember right, the TJ rear seats fit, and are very cheap. Lots of guys dump them. I remember them being small too though.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old June 9th, 2008, 11:05 PM
tebby
Justin Tebbenkamp
95 D-90 ST

Buck...the only reason I need it is to strap a child seat to. Well to well is 36in. Bestop makes that seat in a 41in...but I don't know how high I want to lift it...want it to be safe for the kid and still see out the back. Aren't the orginals about flush with the wells?
Old June 10th, 2008, 09:19 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
I'd like to know a little more about which width works as well. I recently got my Corbeau Sports mounted in the front and want to get a Baja in the back - I was thinking 36" but wouldn't mind having a little wider seat. Don't want anyone getting pregnant in my rig
Old June 10th, 2008, 09:27 AM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Buck...the only reason I need it is to strap a child seat to. Well to well is 36in. Bestop makes that seat in a 41in...but I don't know how high I want to lift it...want it to be safe for the kid and still see out the back. Aren't the orginals about flush with the wells?
The Factory Back Seat has about an inch or two on either side of it when installed (remember it has to slid to the drivers side slightly to release from the mounting bracket on the floor). I would think the seat would be much too high if you were to mount it above the fender wells, but they do it with the inward facing jump seats, so I guess it is a matter of opinion. I've attached a photo of a car seat installed in the factory bench for reference for you..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Back Seat.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	13799  

Old June 11th, 2008, 12:28 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by don
I'd like to know a little more about which width works as well. I recently got my Corbeau Sports mounted in the front and want to get a Baja in the back - I was thinking 36" but wouldn't mind having a little wider seat. Don't want anyone getting pregnant in my rig
Just so you guys know, I am not talking about mounting the seats up above the wheel wells. I am also referring to 2 specific bench seats, Mastercraft and PRP. These seats are very similar and both have a \ / style design. I know that is a terrible description but take a look here: http://www.prpseats.com/need_help.html

You can see that the demensions between E and F are 6in or so. E is the base demension, F is the width. So, you could mount the seat between the wheelwells as long as you lifted it up a little, and have a seat that is 40in wide with a little to spare. You may even be able to fit a 42in seat in there. I searched long and hard for a pic that shows what I am talking about but all I could find is the pic below. This is from my most recent build (sorry for the oddness). You can see that with the 36in seat, there is a lot of room to go bigger even though this seat is mounted BELOW where the stock seat sits. I hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ComBench.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	314.9 KB
ID:	13806  

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old June 11th, 2008, 03:20 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

If I may chime in, I found 2 Corbeau FX racing seats on Craigslust for cheap and I mounted one of them in my Series III facing rearward gunner style complete with seat belts. I am going to do the other one on the D90 but I wanted to see how people react to it. It looks really cool and everyone who sees it wants to sit in it. Best of all its safe and you can use the person to look for cops while your driving

Robert Deniro
Old June 14th, 2008, 07:44 PM
tebby
Justin Tebbenkamp
95 D-90 ST

Rear Bench Seat with Child Seat and Latch System

Just finished mounting my Bestop 33" fold and flip seat. Fits perfect! A buddy of mine helped me adjust the mounting brackets a bit and weld up a beefy bracket which accomodates a child seat with a latch system. I don't think you can beat this seat for the $$$ (260 shipped) from Quadratec. I only wanted a rear bench to strap the little one to...and let me tell ya that Recaro is definitely strapped down. j
Old June 14th, 2008, 10:26 PM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Just finished mounting my Bestop 33" fold and flip seat. Fits perfect! A buddy of mine helped me adjust the mounting brackets a bit and weld up a beefy bracket which accomodates a child seat with a latch system. I don't think you can beat this seat for the $$$ (260 shipped) from Quadratec. I only wanted a rear bench to strap the little one to...and let me tell ya that Recaro is definitely strapped down. j
I'd be curious to see what your friend welded up for the child seat latch install. I re-installed my factory bench just for our daughters seat, and this is what I had come up with, but always interested in other's solutions as well...

Old June 15th, 2008, 09:12 AM
tebby
Justin Tebbenkamp
95 D-90 ST

I had to crop the pics down to upload...but you can get the general idea. Swiped a latch bar out of an Impala...ground off the silver latch bars....welded them to some angle iron. j
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1561.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	13850   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1562.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	13851  

Old June 16th, 2008, 09:24 AM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Quote:
I had to crop the pics down to upload...but you can get the general idea. Swiped a latch bar out of an Impala...ground off the silver latch bars....welded them to some angle iron. j
Thanks for the photos. Interesting approach. Is the angle iron secured in the middle anywhere, or just at the ends? I know angle iron is pretty strong, but if not secured in the center, any concern with it flexing forward under the load of an accident level deceleration? Sorry to be the devils advocate, just curious..

Old June 16th, 2008, 10:30 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

I wouldn't be concirned with the angle iron holding. I would guess the booger welded tiny chrome pieces would let go first.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old August 14th, 2008, 07:42 PM
BarryO
Barry O'Mahony
97 D-90 SW LE

When ours were little I just used the front passenger seat for the car seat. With no air bags, no problem.

Now some will repeat the mantra "the back seat is safest", with the implication always that the front seat is "dangerous". As my pediatrician used to say, it's a matter of degree: you want your kid to never get hurt in a car accident, keep them at home. Riding in a car is an inherent danger no matter where you sit. Yea, the back seat is a little safer than the front, but it's not like you cross some high threshold of "dangerousness" putting them in the front.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, bench, d-90