Rear Bench seat bolts and belts help - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 24th, 2008, 08:01 AM
flounder
Chad Hamon
95 Black ST

Rear Bench seat bolts and belts help

I've searched and can't find what size bolts I need for the rear seat bench seat. Anybody know the sizes or where I can find them? I also need to find a set of rear seatbelts.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 28th, 2008, 01:09 PM
hlamar
Heston LaMar
97 NAS D90 ST #1789

From my recollection:
  • female Y-belt that bolts into the floor is a 17mm
  • fairly sure the same (17mm) for the bed side bolts for the male ends
  • floor mounts for the forward-facing bench are 9/16
  • no thread, just holes for the U-brackets that mount to the side of the bed and lock the bench in the down position -- have some flexibility here but a 7/16 should work.
For nice full set of D1 rear belts with bolts included, get in touch with:

Will Tillery
434-251-9331
RoverGuy.com

Contrary to some posts, the D1 belts mounted perfectly in my NAS 1997 D90 without any mods and latch just fine (of course, have not had any 300 pounders in the back seat yet).
Old October 28th, 2008, 01:16 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
The heads might be 17mm, but the threads aren't. IIRC, the threads are M12's.

An alternative to shoulder belts is mounting regluar jump seat lap belts to the lower anchoring points (on the tub). This is a good option for putting a forward -facing bench in station wagons since the upper mount points are not there. Lap belts are obviously not as good as shoulder belts, but they're more legal and better than no belts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 28th, 2008, 01:25 PM
hlamar
Heston LaMar
97 NAS D90 ST #1789

True on the 17mm head size -- that is the socket you will need, not the thread size. Will sells these D1 sets for $50 shipped and bolts are included for the lower mounts (and fit).

For the upper rollcage mount (if you choose to stick with shoulder belts), I had to go to a local automotive specialty shop and go through their rated bolts until I found the right size (sorry can't recall). Another downside to shoulder belts is you will need some sort of strap to secure the upper belt to the rollcage (when not in use) or they will flap and make all kinds of annoying racket with the top off.
Old October 28th, 2008, 02:54 PM
pcscharfe
pcdefender
D90/NAS 110

I just sourced the floor mounting bolts and they were all SAE. I wish I could remember precisely the lengths, etc. but here is the Install Instructions -- they list 3/8 for the bench brackets... let me see if i can find the size for the seat belt bolt, 5/8? 7/8? I'll check.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf NAS Bench Seat Install 1.pdf (67.4 KB, 144 views)
File Type: pdf NAS Bench Seat Install 2.pdf (299.1 KB, 203 views)
File Type: pdf NAS Bench Seat Install 3.pdf (245.6 KB, 120 views)
File Type: pdf NAS Bench Seat Install 4.pdf (260.0 KB, 131 views)
File Type: pdf NAS Bench Seat Install 5.pdf (235.8 KB, 95 views)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
bench, bolts