Rear Ball Joint replacement/removal - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old June 16th, 2016, 04:01 PM
Tony Lawson
1986 D110 ex-200tdi to be 6BT
Rear Ball Joint replacement/removal

Replacing the rear suspension ball joint.
Removed the two bolts. My understanding is the ball joint should just lift out...I have beaten it pretty hard. Some heat. Hasn't budged.
About to go cherry hot. Typical to rust in place?

Can it be pressed out from the "top" ?(pictures look like the hole is a through hole). Was thinking of cutting off the ears that the bolts hold down so I have the ability to perch it on the bracket and press it out.

Also, the swivel for the Boge unit. It just threads out - lefty, loosey yes?

Old June 16th, 2016, 04:33 PM
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top
Loosen bolts that hold the bracket with the ball joint to the arms. Remove cotter pin, remove nut and washer, partially reinstall nut, hammer the fuck out of the ball joint with a drift and bfh.

It helped mine to have the rear axle Hanging with no truck weight on it.

Mine took 10-15 good swings and it popped free. Some people also use a large wedge pickle fork where the rubber boot is and swing for the fences..mine didn't need the pickle Fork but then front steering ball joints did.

------ Follow up post added June 16th, 2016 05:35 PM ------

Edit: I also replaced mine with a whole new ballpoint and bracket from gwen Lewis UK. Is greaseable, no pressing out the old one, and has better articulation.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions