Defender Source Forum banner

Rear Ball Joint replacement/removal

Tags
ac
2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  6777 
#1 ·
Replacing the rear suspension ball joint.
Removed the two bolts. My understanding is the ball joint should just lift out...I have beaten it pretty hard. Some heat. Hasn't budged.
About to go cherry hot. Typical to rust in place?

Can it be pressed out from the "top" ?(pictures look like the hole is a through hole). Was thinking of cutting off the ears that the bolts hold down so I have the ability to perch it on the bracket and press it out.

Also, the swivel for the Boge unit. It just threads out - lefty, loosey yes?

thanks

#2 ·
Loosen bolts that hold the bracket with the ball joint to the arms. Remove cotter pin, remove nut and washer, partially reinstall nut, hammer the **** out of the ball joint with a drift and bfh.

It helped mine to have the rear axle Hanging with no truck weight on it.

Mine took 10-15 good swings and it popped free. Some people also use a large wedge pickle fork where the rubber boot is and swing for the fences..mine didn't need the pickle Fork but then front steering ball joints did.

------ Follow up post added June 16th, 2016 05:35 PM ------

Edit: I also replaced mine with a whole new ballpoint and bracket from gwen Lewis UK. Is greaseable, no pressing out the old one, and has better articulation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.