rear axle swap - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 27th, 2015, 03:36 PM
skeenaskater
Jaap Kalkman
1997 Defender 110

Registry
Question rear axle swap

Hi guys,

I have a 1997 Defender 110 with 300Tdi. It has the Rover/Discovery type axles with disc brakes. I have problems with the rear differential. I was thinking it might be cheaper for me to find a used rear axle assembly rather than replacing all the rear differential parts. The wrecking yard has a 1998 Range Rover 4.6HSE. Could someone tell me if that axle would be a straight swap for the Rover/Disco axle that I have on my Defender at the moment? (I live in Northern BC, which is why it has been difficult to get parts). Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 27th, 2015, 03:41 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
You want to replace the entire rear assembly with one from a P38?

Don't do it.

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old March 27th, 2015, 03:47 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Why did someone remove the Salisbury? That is crazy.

P38s have the diff on the other side, AFAIK.....so no. Plus everything else on the axle is different and not compatible.

Simple to fix a Rover diff.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 27th, 2015, 03:58 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
So confused...how is it harder to buy and install a used 3rd member from a disco for $70 than swapping an incorrect diff located, fiberglass rear linked, air suspended axle??? You would have to 4 link your truck or weld on a new truss to fit the upper ball joint. The P38a uses entirely different "trailing arms" and has a panhard rod across the back. The diff is even different again!
Old March 27th, 2015, 04:05 PM
javelinadave
-
-

I believe his question was "Could someone tell me if that axle would be a straight swap for the Rover/Disco axle that I have on my Defender at the moment?" The answer is no.
Old March 27th, 2015, 04:08 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
Why did someone remove the Salisbury? That is crazy. P38s have the diff on the other side, AFAIK.....so no. Plus everything else on the axle is different and not compatible. Simple to fix a Rover diff.
I thought around the mid 90's Rover went with the Disco style rear axle from the Salisbury?
Old March 27th, 2015, 04:09 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
My suggestion. Step back and explain what is exactly wrong and we can provide reasonable advice on the options forward.

Being in Smithers is not a problem. You are in the Rover community. Things can happen.

Old March 27th, 2015, 04:10 PM
Wilboro
William Ficner
1997 110 csw

Registry
A 97 would have a Salisbury with discs from the factory.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old March 27th, 2015, 04:12 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
I thought around the mid 90's Rover went with the Disco style rear axle from the Salisbury?
They went to P38a style, not Rover type, in 2002.
Old March 27th, 2015, 04:16 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilboro View Post
This was covered in another thread. It has a Discovery rear axle. The truck came from Riverhouse. No clue why they would wreck the truck this way.

Old March 27th, 2015, 04:23 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
This was covered in another thread. It has a Discovery rear axle. The truck came from Riverhouse. No clue why they would wreck the truck this way.
Should be easy enough to get someone from the Roverlanders in BC to help find a correct Sals rear and while shipping prices will suck, in-country only won't be too painful.

If nobody in Vancouver has what you need - we have a used good condition Sals we can sell you sitting in the shop - AND I will buy you a beer and tell you some great places to visit while you are down here swapping it out...
Old March 27th, 2015, 04:36 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
i totally disagree that the disco rear is a downgrade over a sals.

after having rebuilt my rear diff, i really appreciate the rover diff design over the sals/dana design.

the biggest advantage of the rover diff over the sals imho is being to pull out the third and set up the diff in the third. this makes having a third party build your diff easy.

in the sals, you have to shim out the diff in the axle and there is no way for someone else to do that for you short of shipping the axle or truck to somebody else.

unless you are wheeling the truck hardcore, i think you should be thanking your lucky stars that you do not have a sals!

it is trivial to pull the driveshafts and put in a built third member for less than the cost of a replacement sals axle. heck, you could even find a rear arb air locker for that money.

don't switch!!!!
Old March 27th, 2015, 04:46 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilboro View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z.G View Post
They went to P38a style, not Rover type, in 2002.
Ahh, thanks for the clarification.

------ Follow up post added March 27th, 2015 04:50 PM ------

Quote:
My suggestion. Step back and explain what is exactly wrong and we can provide reasonable advice on the options forward.

Being in Smithers is not a problem. You are in the Rover community. Things can happen.
Agree - before looking to change out the whole axle it could be something small. I had my 90 blow up a bearing and it was making crazy sounds with that bearing material moving around but just needed new bearings and seals.
Old March 27th, 2015, 04:59 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
i totally disagree that the disco rear is a downgrade over a sals.

after having rebuilt my rear diff, i really appreciate the rover diff design over the sals/dana design.

the biggest advantage of the rover diff over the sals imho is being to pull out the third and set up the diff in the third. this makes having a third party build your diff easy.

in the sals, you have to shim out the diff in the axle and there is no way for someone else to do that for you short of shipping the axle or truck to somebody else.

unless you are wheeling the truck hardcore, i think you should be thanking your lucky stars that you do not have a sals!

it is trivial to pull the driveshafts and put in a built third member for less than the cost of a replacement sals axle. heck, you could even find a rear arb air locker for that money.

don't switch!!!!
2 more reasons I like the Disco axle over the Sals:

- clearance. I need to measure but just eyeballing the pumpkin on a Disco is an 1" smaller/taller. That can make a big difference on the trail.
- parts - easy as pie to get brake rotors, brake calipers, seals, bearings, stubs, etc.
Old March 27th, 2015, 05:12 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
I prefer the standard rover type as well... Especially after being behind Raub on VOT watching that anchor under his truck!

An HD rover setup is likely better than a stock Sals setup.
Old March 27th, 2015, 05:21 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
^^ what he said^^

The Sals is a potato plow.
Just admit it.

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old March 27th, 2015, 05:43 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
A plow that does not bend or break.....

Old March 27th, 2015, 05:54 PM
skeenaskater
Jaap Kalkman
1997 Defender 110

Registry
Thanks for all the replies guys. Very helpful, since I have very little knowledge about any mechanics, let alone Defenders. But I do love my truck!! Originally I was thinking to replace the broken parts: pinion bearings, seals, and the crown gear was not looking great. But by the time I buy all those part I thought it might be cheaper to get a whole axle. Can't find a Disco 2 axle in the area. So that would mean shipping an axle from Vancouver. Found this Range Rover here, but it looks like that is not an option. So now I am back to my original problem. If I am replacing those parts I thought it would be wiser to get a 4 pin inners with a locker. I believe those kind of units can be rebuild units from Ashcroft with the locker in there. That might be a good upgrade over the 2 pin and for not a lot more money. As you guys can tell I am really not very sure on where to go with it. Any advise is greatly appreciated. Also advise on where to get the parts. Vancouver?
Old March 27th, 2015, 06:01 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeenaskater View Post
Thanks for all the replies guys. Very helpful, since I have very little knowledge about any mechanics, let alone Defenders. But I do love my truck!! Originally I was thinking to replace the broken parts: pinion bearings, seals, and the crown gear was not looking great. But by the time I buy all those part I thought it might be cheaper to get a whole axle. Can't find a Disco 2 axle in the area. So that would mean shipping an axle from Vancouver. Found this Range Rover here, but it looks like that is not an option. So now I am back to my original problem. If I am replacing those parts I thought it would be wiser to get a 4 pin inners with a locker. I believe those kind of units can be rebuild units from Ashcroft with the locker in there. That might be a good upgrade over the 2 pin and for not a lot more money. As you guys can tell I am really not very sure on where to go with it. Any advise is greatly appreciated. Also advise on where to get the parts. Vancouver?
Don't look for a D2 axle either, still very different!!!!

Get this and just swap the flange

Land Rover Discovery 2 Rear Differential 99 00 01 02 03 04 Carrier Roto Flex D2 | eBay
Old March 27th, 2015, 06:12 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z.G View Post
Don't look for a D2 axle either, still very different!!!!
Get this and just swap the flange
This. Just get a drop-in third member. And in the meantime, pull your rear driveshaft, lock the CDL and drive around in FWD. Just remember to put the nuts back on the rear drum!!

You can also get a complete built third with ashcroft locker from Ashcroft's for $1100USD. Shipping is probably around another $100-150

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
axle