Rear A-arm Ball Joint - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 24th, 2004, 10:41 AM
ronward
Redsrover
None - sadly

Rear A-arm Ball Joint

Can this thing seize up and cause the truck to lean to one side or the other? I installed OME 751/762's on my truck last summer and ever since there's been a 1/2" lean to the drivers side. I've shimmed and tweaked to get it level ever since.

I bought two of EE's spring isolators and put them both on the same rear drivers side spring (one top, one bottom) with a 10mm OME spring packer on top of that. That's pretty close to 3/4" of an inch all total. I measured the passenger side rear spring before I changed anything and it was 14 3/4" while the driver side was 14" even. After the installation of the spring isolators and the spring packer the driver side rear spring measured just over 15". I stood on the rear bumper and jumped up and down to settle things and then measured from pavement to fender arch and dang if the passenger side wasn't a bit higher than before, AND still a good 1/4" taller than the driver side. The driver side did increase in height by the 3/4" I added in.

It looks fine, but I am puzzled to no end by this. I have removed the rear sway bar and all else is stock. The ball joint in the rear looks fine and I have good articulation off road and no weird clunks or sounds. Truck is a 1997 soft top with 23000 miles, 255/85 BFG MTs.

Any one have ideas?

Ron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 24th, 2004, 11:22 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Ron, it would not be the ball joint. Prob. just a bad spring or maybe the wrong spring.
Old February 24th, 2004, 12:04 PM
ronward
Redsrover
None - sadly

Well, with my luck they will all start to sag within a few days of their one year birthday and I'll have to replace them with something anyway...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 25th, 2004, 03:46 AM
wicks
Wicks
97 Defender LE SW #44

It sounds like you got one spring of the incorrect spec.
Old February 25th, 2004, 08:53 AM
ronward
Redsrover
None - sadly

That's what I thought Wicks. But just last night I rolled up under there and checked the OME tags on each spring and they are all correct, assuming someone at the factory didn't put the wrong tag on one of the springs... I should probably put in a call to John at EE, but I have it level now (sort of). I'd like to go to the rear heavy duty springs at some point anyway...

Ron

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions