Really Tippy off road - Page 5 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 28th, 2014, 09:52 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Oh I didn't realize that used an isuzu torsion bar. I'm familiar with Lane's truck (love it). Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 29th, 2014, 08:52 AM
fishEH
Brett Fritzler
94, 95, 96 D1's

That's a sweet setup. I'm going to experiment and make some longer links for the stock one before dropping $$$$ on a fancy Anti-Rock one.
Old September 2nd, 2014, 05:03 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Thought I'd follow up with new info. Pulled the fox shocks and took the part #s off them. Called their customer service and turns out the shocks are valved 30/90 not 80/80. Way soft. Fox offers a free revalve within 90 days purchase. I'm going to send them in for 90/100 valving before I spend money on springs and custom sway bar setups.
Advertisement

Old September 2nd, 2014, 05:25 PM
aka rover
ed angel
95 D90

Registry
Good catch before spending a bunch of money for a bandaid . The proper shock valving is Key.. Keep us posted how it turns out .
67 NADA diesel tremec 4spd salisbury rear springs on front and a LOT MORE TO GO.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old September 2nd, 2014, 05:37 PM
transientmechanic
Adam
1972 SIII

That would do it... good catch.
Old September 2nd, 2014, 06:18 PM
fishEH
Brett Fritzler
94, 95, 96 D1's

Wow, 30 sounds crazy low. I can barely compress my 2.0's with all my weight on them.
Old September 2nd, 2014, 06:45 PM
Arcadeus
Mark Bichin
97 NAS Station Wagon LE

Registry
Bingo! Your riding on your springs. Wierd that you didn't notice it on road.
Old September 2nd, 2014, 08:53 PM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

You guys like a stiff ride, huh? I purposely dropped mine down to 30 on compression. I guess I have absolutely no weight up top and a fairly mild lift. I am on 35's though.
Old September 2nd, 2014, 09:51 PM
transientmechanic
Adam
1972 SIII

The 30 in this case is the rebound damping. That will cause the "light" side to unload unpredictably. In a top heavy 90 that is amplified. The compression damping will not affect the tippy feeling as much.
Old September 2nd, 2014, 10:02 PM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

Fox's are the other way around from Bilsteins. 30/90 is C/R.
Old September 3rd, 2014, 03:45 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellulararrest View Post
Fox's are the other way around from Bilsteins. 30/90 is C/R.
He's correct, the 30 is the compression which is why the effect is less noticeable on the road where i'm dealing with small high speed bumps (that don't compress the springs) vs big low speed bumps (like boulders or ledges when off-road). My spring rate is progressive and the lack of compression dampening is causing the spring to unnecessarily compress and therefore rebound much more aggressively causing my feeling of bounciness and instability during weight transfer side to side. That's my best guess at least.
Old September 3rd, 2014, 04:16 PM
transientmechanic
Adam
1972 SIII

That makes sense. It's frustrating that Fox and Bilstein can't get on the same page with valving #'s. I'm sure they have their reasons though.
Old September 29th, 2014, 01:28 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Hey Everyone, Just wanted to say thanks for all the tips and thought I would follow up on the post. Since beginning this thread, I've taken much of the advice and done the following:

1. A arm ball joint and bushings were replaced (I knew this would be a bitch so I took it to the dealer. Dealer has to charge you for what it specifies in the book. They charged me 3 hours labor or something like that and they worked on it for 2 days. Everything was seized.
2. Trailing arms were shortened (have RTE trailing arms) and bushings were replaced with orange poly pushes
3. Rear Shocks were revalved to 90/100 from 30/90
4. Removed spring spacers to eliminate any rake from the truck

Result is WAY better. Haven't been off road yet but just driving around it's flat around corners and transitions the weight when turning in much better. The rear is so much better that now I feel it happening with the front which still has softer shocks. I'm now going to throw some Fox shocks in the front, ditch the eyelet to eyelet setup and return to a stem mount with bushings. I've spent a decent amount of time with Fox on the phone about the LR shocks being distributed to vendors like Rovers North. Nobody specifies what the shock is on their websites so I figured I'd share. The Fox Land Rover specific, Performance Series shock, is an 80/85 valved shock using a normal valve stack. The performance series uses similar valving but uses a flutter stack on the compression side. Provides a softer initial hit and then scales dampening rate significantly. Gonna throw on some of those performance series shocks and report back.
Old September 29th, 2014, 01:45 PM
fishEH
Brett Fritzler
94, 95, 96 D1's

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflash868 View Post
Hey Everyone, Just wanted to say thanks for all the tips and thought I would follow up on the post. Since beginning this thread, I've taken much of the advice and done the following:

1. A arm ball joint and bushings were replaced (I knew this would be a bitch so I took it to the dealer. Dealer has to charge you for what it specifies in the book. They charged me 3 hours labor or something like that and they worked on it for 2 days. Everything was seized.
2. Trailing arms were shortened (have RTE trailing arms) and bushings were replaced with orange poly pushes
3. Rear Shocks were revalved to 90/100 from 30/90
4. Removed spring spacers to eliminate any rake from the truck

Result is WAY better. Haven't been off road yet but just driving around it's flat around corners and transitions the weight when turning in much better. The rear is so much better that now I feel it happening with the front which still has softer shocks. I'm now going to throw some Fox shocks in the front, ditch the eyelet to eyelet setup and return to a stem mount with bushings. I've spent a decent amount of time with Fox on the phone about the LR shocks being distributed to vendors like Rovers North. Nobody specifies what the shock is on their websites so I figured I'd share. The Fox Land Rover specific, Performance Series shock, is an 80/85 valved shock using a normal valve stack. The performance series uses similar valving but uses a flutter stack on the compression side. Provides a softer initial hit and then scales dampening rate significantly. Gonna throw on some of those performance series shocks and report back.
2 Days on the A-arm? Someone should introduce them to a torch.
Glad you got it resolved and saw an improvement!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
off road