Really Tippy off road - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 26th, 2014, 06:57 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
Springs do not change their rate with age. It is technically impossible. As these springs are used in many other trucks, I doubt that their rate is the problem. He has already changed the shocks with no difference, so it is very doubtful that is the problem.
Well, it is possible for the rate to change. Corrosion, for example, can cause the wire diameter to decrease over time
, causing the rate to decrease. Creep can also reduce the rate of the spring.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 26th, 2014, 07:12 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
That would be a hell of a lot of corrosion!!! Creep has no effect on the spring rate. The modulus of rigidity of the steel is not something that can change.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old August 26th, 2014, 07:26 PM
mongosd2
Frank Rafka
01 D2 96 D1 83 110

Quote:
That would be a hell of a lot of corrosion!!! Creep has no effect on the spring rate. The modulus of rigidity of the steel is not something that can change.
Too bad you don't have a clue about how the spring rate is determined for a coil spring...keep quoting wiki...it makes you seem intelligent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 26th, 2014, 07:34 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
I'm not quoting any wiki my friend. There was no internet when I learned how to calculate a spring rate. Please correct me oh great one and correct all of the engineering texts in the world.

Old August 26th, 2014, 08:26 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Tell you what Frank. Since the internet can't be trusted and I certainly have no clue. When you get to work grab whichever book you like to use and scan and post up the page with the equation for the spring rate of a coil spring. Then in slow simple words explain the equation and how I've gone so wrong.

Old August 26th, 2014, 09:04 PM
aka rover
ed angel
95 D90

Registry
Sounds like a problem with the butt Dyno :-) Have you driven another D90 to compare. I have built a few off road rigs with 3 link and 37"tires and I haven't experienced any kind of problems offroad . I do run my coils fastened top and bottom , I move my front shocks to the front of the outside the coil . I run no sway bars at either end . I like the 400/100 valving over the 380/80 huge difference offroad . Spring rates are huge I run a 375 front and 420 rear on my 110 with good all around results .
My 90 runs 375 front 275 rear I think it's been awhile . But it's a softop so not a good comparison .
67 NADA diesel tremec 4spd salisbury rear springs on front and a LOT MORE TO GO.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old August 26th, 2014, 09:38 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
Tell you what Frank. Since the internet can't be trusted and I certainly have no clue. When you get to work grab whichever book you like to use and scan and post up the page with the equation for the spring rate of a coil spring. Then in slow simple words explain the equation and how I've gone so wrong.
When's the wedding you two?

Seriously though, I'd buy replacement suspension (start with rear) and pull them and check them. If the shocks (or springs) are clearly soft compared to new I'd swap. If they are fine I'd go ahead and check the A-arm bushing for play.
Old August 27th, 2014, 05:57 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Thanks for all the responses.

I am used to tuning suspensions on my race car, so i'm not totally flying blind but I'll detail what i've tried since I posted. The front radius arms were contributing to the tippiness. I had those metal castor corrected bushings installed earlier this year and it severely limited the front axle movement. How severe? i was in Moab with the truck going over the crack on Golden spike and I could fit my hand into the wheel well above the tucked up tire. So that was bad and the rear was heavily compensating. However, the truck felt stiffer but that stiffness caused it to lean more due to the lack of articulation. OK.. so then I swapped it out for orange Polybushes and swapped the springs to heavy duty front OMEs and medium rear. Front articulated much better, no dive under braking so that was good. Rear OME medium duty was WAY soft. Going around a 90 degree corner under acceleration the outside rear would sit so far the tire would rub. (I tripled checked the numbers on the springs and no, I didn't put the fronts in the rear). This prompted me to swap back in the RTE rear spring which stopped this problem. ok. shocks. I ordered from a shop here in Cali Fox 2.0 10 inch shocks which I was told was valved at 80/80 (fox's valving numbers). The LR specific shocks that RN sells were apparently engineered at 85/80 but I couldn't order because they aren't available in the length I wanted. I put the rears on and left the Bilstiens up front. It's now tippy and it leans everywhere in steady state cornering. Tippy fine but leaning is springs not shocks which is why i'm all confused. After reading all these posts, I'm going to order 360 pound rear springs, the land rover designed fox shock for the front and replace the A arm joint (even though I doubt this has any effect) and repost the results.
Old August 27th, 2014, 06:36 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
The elastic modulus does not change, true. But a coil spring's rate is determined by the wire diameter and total length of the wire (a coil spring is just a torsion spring wound into a spiral.) Creep in torsion springs (and helical springs) is called relaxation. This causes the length of the spring to increase over time and therefore the spring rate decreases.

You are right, these are minor effects.

I think most of us are pretty civil on here. I know I have been wrong many times and I am glad that folks have been kind enough to be gentle on me.
Old August 27th, 2014, 06:38 PM
transientmechanic
Adam
1972 SIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflash868 View Post
I ordered from a shop here in Cali Fox 2.0 10 inch shocks which I was told was valved at 80/80 (fox's valving numbers).
That seems really light. Aren't most people running 360/80 in this application?

The 80 rebound number (versus 360) will cause the inside rear wheel to unload very quickly around a corner which will definitely give a tippy feeling.

This unloading would also happen to the high side in any off camber situation which also seems to fit with what you've been describing.
Old August 27th, 2014, 06:43 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by transientmechanic View Post
That seems really light. Aren't most people running 360/80 in this application?

The 80 rebound number (versus 360) will cause the inside rear wheel to unload very quickly around a corner which will definitely give a tippy feeling.

This unloading would also happen to the high side in any off camber situation which also seems to fit with what you've been describing.

You're thinking bilstein, fox uses different numbers, I think my 2.0s on my d2 are 85/90
Old August 27th, 2014, 06:57 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
But a coil spring's rate is determined by the wire diameter and total length of the wire (a coil spring is just a torsion spring wound into a spiral.) Creep in torsion springs (and helical springs) is called relaxation. This causes the length of the spring to increase over time and therefore the spring rate decreases.
Sorry. How does the length of the spring change with creep? I don't understand what you are meaning. The stress is in torsion and the creep/sage is in torsion. The geometry that sets the rate. Coil diameter, wrap diameter and number of active coils does not change. Sit down and look at how the rate is calculated.

Old August 27th, 2014, 07:04 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Since Frank ran away, see here: http://www.engineersedge.com/spring_comp_calc_k.htm

The length of the coil is not used in the calculation of the spring rate. As long as the number of coils that are not touching stays the same, the spring rate stays the sage. Different loads, sag, whatever does not change the rate until some extra coils touch and become inactive.

Old August 27th, 2014, 08:03 PM
fishEH
Brett Fritzler
94, 95, 96 D1's

Question

Just because your front tire stuffed doesn't mean your articulation sucks.
Tired stuffed.

Good articulation. (315/75/16 for reference)

Good call getting rid of those eccentric bushings in the radius arms, they suck.
What is the part number on the rear RTE springs?
Did you try a sway bar in the back?
Keep in mind the amount of tippiness you find unacceptable may be perfectly acceptable to someone else.
You can change all the springs and shocks you want and none of it will have the results of a sway bar. People like to poo-poo them but a lot of crawlers and offroad racers run them for stability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflash868 View Post
Thanks for all the responses.

I am used to tuning suspensions on my race car, so i'm not totally flying blind but I'll detail what i've tried since I posted. The front radius arms were contributing to the tippiness. I had those metal castor corrected bushings installed earlier this year and it severely limited the front axle movement. How severe? i was in Moab with the truck going over the crack on Golden spike and I could fit my hand into the wheel well above the tucked up tire. So that was bad and the rear was heavily compensating. However, the truck felt stiffer but that stiffness caused it to lean more due to the lack of articulation. OK.. so then I swapped it out for orange Polybushes and swapped the springs to heavy duty front OMEs and medium rear. Front articulated much better, no dive under braking so that was good. Rear OME medium duty was WAY soft. Going around a 90 degree corner under acceleration the outside rear would sit so far the tire would rub. (I tripled checked the numbers on the springs and no, I didn't put the fronts in the rear). This prompted me to swap back in the RTE rear spring which stopped this problem. ok. shocks. I ordered from a shop here in Cali Fox 2.0 10 inch shocks which I was told was valved at 80/80 (fox's valving numbers). The LR specific shocks that RN sells were apparently engineered at 85/80 but I couldn't order because they aren't available in the length I wanted. I put the rears on and left the Bilstiens up front. It's now tippy and it leans everywhere in steady state cornering. Tippy fine but leaning is springs not shocks which is why i'm all confused. After reading all these posts, I'm going to order 360 pound rear springs, the land rover designed fox shock for the front and replace the A arm joint (even though I doubt this has any effect) and repost the results.
Old August 27th, 2014, 09:07 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishEH View Post
Good call getting rid of those eccentric bushings in the radius arms, they suck.
Are you still running the slotted Poly's? I have them on my rebuild but won't be able to try them out for a while - wanted to know if you were still happy with them. Probably wouldn't be too good big the vehicle is too tipsy.
Old August 27th, 2014, 09:38 PM
mongosd2
Frank Rafka
01 D2 96 D1 83 110

Quote:
Since Frank ran away, see here: http://www.engineersedge.com/spring_comp_calc_k.htm

The length of the coil is not used in the calculation of the spring rate. As long as the number of coils that are not touching stays the same, the spring rate stays the sage. Different loads, sag, whatever does not change the rate until some extra coils touch and become inactive.
Nope, didn't run away, I just hate debating this shit with morons who have never tuned a suspension before.

http://www.pontiacracing.net/js_coil_spring_rate.htm

So what do you think happens when a spring is shot, it can't support the "load" and it compresses so that the coils are touching. It gets worse when new shocks are added, shocks are re-vavled or nitrogen pressure is increased to compensate for the spring sag. Then it turns into a slinky…

edit: Look at a spring that has sagged or has been elongated from being retained and stretched and you'll find the coil diameter has changed, thus effecting the static and compressed height, which does change the spring rate
Old August 27th, 2014, 10:07 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
The geometry of the spring in our application cannot change enough to affect the spring rate other than sagging to the point of having coils touch at which point the rate increases. Find any used Land Rover coil spring, as sagged as you want and other than the free length, the rest of the dimensions will be basically as new.

Despite you thinking I'm a moron, with no experience, you will just have to accept that you are incorrect in those assumptions. You are provide zero technical information to this discussion. Your link shows the same equation that mine does, strangely enough because it is the equation....

A "shot" spring has sagged/crept. Look up creep to understand what this mean. It occurs from springs that are stressed beyond what the material is capable of sustaining, usually through poor design and/or materials.

Old August 27th, 2014, 10:22 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
My only question John, are you suggesting that steel doesn't fatigue with age/temperature/corrosion? Surely a weaker spring would have a lower rate?
Old August 27th, 2014, 10:41 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Sorry. How does the length of the spring change with creep? I don't understand what you are meaning. The stress is in torsion and the creep/sage is in torsion. The geometry that sets the rate. Coil diameter, wrap diameter and number of active coils does not change. Sit down and look at how the rate is calculated.
D, in the engineers edge link you posted, which corresponds to the diameter of the helical coil itself determines the length as well as the number of active coils. The larger the coil diameter and the more active coils, the longer the wire and therefore the lower the spring rate. The equation in the link you posted is a "shortcut" equation. From an engineer's perspective, a coil spring is a torsion beam spring wrapped into a helical shape. As the spring compresses, it experiences both torsion and elongation.

There is plenty of literature on coil springs and relaxation. If you google "coil spring relaxation" you will find academic papers on the subject.
Old August 27th, 2014, 10:43 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Fatigue is something else. It is when something cracks or breaks at a load below its normal failure load due to cyclic loading. If that happened the spring would break.

The spring rate is controlled by the geometry of the spring and modulus of stiffness of the material. Nothing can change that stiffness.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
off road