Realistic "Deal" on a Defender - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 31st, 2010, 02:23 PM
spammer
Samdford Wallace
95 RRC LWB / 86 Tithnous

Realistic "Deal" on a Defender

I am looking to get a Defender. I have always wanted one, but the $30k mark was too much to justify. I glanced at eBay the other day and was surprised to see one sell for $9k, and a few sub $15k. What I am wondering is if there is anyway to pick up a Defender that is running for less than $15k? I assume this would not be a show truck, but could be functional. What are the best places to look for a deal like this, what should I avoid, and is this even realistic?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 31st, 2010, 02:34 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Yes, you can buy a runner for less than 15k. It will have rust though.

This website is the best place to look. You can see previous sales and what they went for by searching the vehicles for sale section and the flea market section here.
Old March 31st, 2010, 02:37 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Also I am not sure where you live but leave notes on trucks. I do that all the time. Sadly it works.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 31st, 2010, 02:38 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
One one hand, a sub-15k defender is often good for someone who knows what they're doing, and on the other hand, its easy for a novice to pay 30k for a defender which isn't worth it.

You have two options:
1) do enough research and homework to be able to tell the difference
2) jump in at the deep end and buy whatever seems like a good idea at the time

I've done both, and both worked out fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old March 31st, 2010, 02:39 PM
bharris
Brad Harris
1994 d90 300tdi "Nola"

go for #2!!!

otherwise mockery may insue (just sayin')
Old March 31st, 2010, 02:43 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Brad Shut it.

Do some research. When you find a good one, post the info and we will be honest. Brutally honest. Where are you in CA? If you are local I will look at it for you. I might be too honest. If you don't like my opinion JOhn is also local and he is much more forgiving. You might end up with a jeep though with a defender sticker if you go that route.
Old March 31st, 2010, 02:48 PM
spammer
Samdford Wallace
95 RRC LWB / 86 Tithnous

I live in the Bay Area. So all sub $15k Defenders have rust. I guess there is a big spectrum of how much rust, and if it is manageable or if it will eat the rover.

Not many Defenders around here, but I guess I will start leaving notes
Old March 31st, 2010, 02:51 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

It can be tough but they come up. Ron just sold a really nice truck in the teens. You just have to be patient, no what you can accept and can't and really be open on color. I mean Horsey only wanted a pink truck so it took a long itme for one to come up
Old March 31st, 2010, 03:04 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by brody View Post
I live in the Bay Area. So all sub $15k Defenders have rust. I guess there is a big spectrum of how much rust, and if it is manageable or if it will eat the rover.

Not many Defenders around here, but I guess I will start leaving notes

That is not necessarily true. I bought one from NYC that is nearly rust free because it lived in a garage and was well cared for.
Old March 31st, 2010, 03:05 PM
bharris
Brad Harris
1994 d90 300tdi "Nola"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
Brad Shut it.

what??? I'm just sayin'

Barry is right though...

Of course part of the question you need to ask yourself is what you're hoping to do with it and why a Defender vs. a jeep or a toyota..
Old March 31st, 2010, 03:07 PM
spammer
Samdford Wallace
95 RRC LWB / 86 Tithnous

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharris View Post

Of course part of the question you need to ask yourself is what you're hoping to do with it and why a Defender vs. a jeep or a toyota..
I have had a Range Rover, and a Discovery. I guess you could say it is in my blood. Defenders look completely bad ass, and I think it would last forever and go wherever. That is why I want one.
Old March 31st, 2010, 03:20 PM
mpsteil
Michael Steil
NAS 110#23,97 ST#665

Brody, I am in the Bay Area. I can help you out if needed. What area are you in?
Old March 31st, 2010, 03:25 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
I have had a Range Rover, and a Discovery. I guess you could say it is in my blood. Defenders look completely bad ass, and I think it would last forever and go wherever. That is why I want one.
Ok, but do you actually intend to go wherever, or just cruise the streets looking like you can go wherever? Just asking because it will affect how much you care about the issues you'll see with a sub $15k truck. If you are going to use it, then you can definitely find a D90 that may not be the prettiest but would be a great wheeler.
Old March 31st, 2010, 03:26 PM
bharris
Brad Harris
1994 d90 300tdi "Nola"

Quote:
So you have a little LR in your blood, it is a terrible disease and all I can say is that I'm sorry... I'm sure you realize your bank account will never be the same...

Your answer, however, had three different points that may be mutuall exclusive:
Quote:
Defenders look completely bad ass
Yes they do, but if you want it to look and/or be a true stock defender than your next points may have issues
Quote:
last forever
Only if you only start it once/week and drive 5 miles and then park it until the next week (aka doing a Brian)
Quote:
go wherever
this is where you may run into problems... Defenders have the potential to go wherever and then some... but not really true in stock form... as soon as you start taking it "wherever" you'll soon be begging for lockers, bigger/wider tires, armor, and wishing you had decent axles and CVs...

many of those last changes will put you at odds with some people here saying it's now a jeep with a defender sticker so what is it in your mind that makes them "look bad ass"?

all of this together may help determine what you're going to be willing to live with in a Defender... anything at the sub 15k price-point is going to be a compromise so really knowing for yourself what your purpose in a Defender is will help direct where you're willing to compromise...
Old March 31st, 2010, 03:28 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Quote:
They are bad ass, that is why most of us on this site are addicts. There are several members in the Bay area that are on this board. Find one of them and have them show you around the truck, walk you through what to look for and what to pay attention too. Have you driven one?

Old March 31st, 2010, 04:14 PM
KKilo23
Kenny
NAS SW l NAS ST l 110 SW | 110 Crew

Registry
Deals are out there to be had, just keep looking and be patient. I have gotten some great deals, needed to travel but was well worth it. Being in CA I can't imagine that many rust buckets driving around like we have in the Northeast, this could also drive the price up.

Both of my trucks came from guys that payed the dealer to do everything and basically got bored with them and unloaded for a song. This site is great and the search function is even better.
Good Luck!
Old March 31st, 2010, 05:57 PM
mpsteil
Michael Steil
NAS 110#23,97 ST#665

Not always true here in CA. I looked at a 110 that spent most of its life in Monterey(coast) and it was one of the worst rust buckets I have ever seen. The salt air out here will kill any truck.

[QUOTE=KKilo23;213356] Being in CA I can't imagine that many rust buckets driving around like we have in the Northeast, this could also drive the price up.
Old March 31st, 2010, 05:59 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Land Rovers don't rust. They are made out of aluminum.

*Under the corrosion warranty my truck got 5 new doors according to my paperwork while in LA.
Old March 31st, 2010, 06:02 PM
KKilo23
Kenny
NAS SW l NAS ST l 110 SW | 110 Crew

Registry
[QUOTE=mpsteil;213379]Not always true here in CA. I looked at a 110 that spent most of its life in Monterey(coast) and it was one of the worst rust buckets I have ever seen. The salt air out here will kill any truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKilo23 View Post
Being in CA I can't imagine that many rust buckets driving around like we have in the Northeast, this could also drive the price up.
Agreed.
Old March 31st, 2010, 06:11 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Brody, don't think a Defender is the only option. While my judgment is tainted towards Range Rover Classics, there is much happiness in a Series Rover or a Range Rover or even a Discovery. The Range Rover in particular can be set up to be as capable as a Defender and still give you a plush ride home (if you don't mind bashed up corners). They can be had for mere peanuts too. Here in the East we lust for those rust free SoCal examples that sell for $900. Series Rovers too have much potential and always draw a crowd. Just sayin.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions