real mileage??? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 7th, 2007, 09:03 PM
CaptMidnite
Daniel Choi
94 NAS Defender 90 ST

real mileage???

Hello...Can you trust the so-called low mileage claims (30k...45k....65K) for various Defenders advertised on Ebay, Autotrader? The 97's have digital odometers, but the earlier models seem susceptible to odometer tampering. Just the other day I was replacing my speed sensor, and had to drive around the block with the speedo cable disabled. The odometer wasn't turning.
In my state (TX) at least, vehicles older than 8 (maybe 10) years old are EXEMPT, meaning the mileage doesn't matter anyway. So when you get your car inspected, they don't even bother recording the mileage. So, Carfax wouldn't necessarily show the most recent mileage reading.
Seems like someone can take a D90 with the right Carfax , polish up the hard plastic interior parts....replace the odo....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 7th, 2007, 09:14 PM
Treuwer
Trae Reuwer
94 D90

Does texas make you write down the mileage on the title when you transfer the vehicle? They do in MD, I'm not saying its foolproof but it's one step in the right direction, and Carfax does record that.
Old February 7th, 2007, 10:16 PM
Shake
Bob Hanson AKA Two-Socks
Red 94 D-90 #428

My .02 from research and limited but expensive personal exp. The odometers are notorious for failing. Some common sense is involved in looking at the vehicle and getting a rough feel for mileage.
When I bought mine the guy's dad sold it to me but the owner's name was on the title. After the sale he refused to confirm, or say the mileage was off. Real hoaky. Finally got fed up. In CO if the vehicle is over 10 years old then no odometer statement is required. I titled it and put down nothing for mileage.
Got the story after the sale. Odometer failed and he drove it for a while before he had it fixed. Don't think it's fraud as much as shitty guages. Some guys on here can spot a replacement odometer by looking for a difference in the font on the dial.
Oh yeah, Lots of guys on here have had damage to their D's that never shows in CARFAX.(Mine included)
It's an openly discussed topic here. Try a search on CARFAX on this board.
Advertisement

Old February 8th, 2007, 12:10 AM
oldgreentrucks
Jim Pace

My two cents after many old trucks...How much does it matter on a 10+ yr old truck? Would you rather have 30K from a highschool guy or 60K from a gentlemen offroader that changed fluids etc...regularly in spite of the cost??? Use good judgment no matter what the odometer says.
Old February 8th, 2007, 06:30 AM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

I agree, the important thing is the wear and tear on the vehicle. If you are repairing and replacing things as they wear that is what is important. These cars will go forever - if you keep up with the needs of the vehicle. And defenders are simple vehicles and fairly easy to inspect - hard to hid the warts
Old February 8th, 2007, 10:31 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

You can tell based on things like pedal wear etc.

Odos do fail (my red 94 did) but outright fraud is tough do to carfax. Sure you could shave 10k or so, but any reported miles will show on a carfax during inspections and sales.

Ron
Old February 8th, 2007, 03:02 PM
ChicagoDon
Don Johnson

I put about 2500mi on my D2 before I rebuilt my ABS sensor system after my axle swap, none of those were recorded
Old February 8th, 2007, 03:19 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
You can tell based on things like pedal wear etc.

Odos do fail (my red 94 did) but outright fraud is tough do to carfax. Sure you could shave 10k or so, but any reported miles will show on a carfax during inspections and sales.

Ron
:: goes to buy new foot petal pads::
Old February 8th, 2007, 04:11 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Yes but new ones would look new=sign of fraud
Old February 8th, 2007, 05:21 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
Yes but new ones would look new=sign of fraud
::tapes them to my shoes and walk around the block::
Old February 8th, 2007, 05:42 PM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

daniel - you are completely correct. BUT... D90 sites like this, and 2 sevice records.

Only way to tell on milage is/are service records. They need to be complete and should track when work is performed on the truck.

Barring that, many D-90s do not get high miles (I've driven 2000 miles in 7 months & ave 4,000 a yr). A used car or truck average is 15k a year so my 1994 should have 120,000 miles on it. A dealership lease charges 0.40 a mile so 120,000 - 80,000 = 40,000 x $0.40 = $16,000. My truck should garnish that much above an average D90 price. That math does not work independently though (fair value for my D90 $20 - 25k so an milage allowance means a '94 truck w/120k miles should be priced at $4k - 9K - NOT realistic).

Are there 1994 - 1997 D90s outliere wil extremely low milage - yes. But unless the owner can prove it, the 10k, 12k, ??, should be assumed and factured in with wear and tear. Check this site as there are many posts on this subject and if a low milage truck is better than a high milage truck (the thought is if a truck sits for long periods it does damage).

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions