Re-wiring a 110 ... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 10th, 2006, 06:54 PM
Retrofit
Pat
1984 110 CrewCab 200Tdi

Re-wiring a 110 ...

When they did the chassi swap in the UK they took the lazy way and chopped all the electric at the bulkhead and then kind of put them back in some sort of order. And since the body is from a Td5 truck and is now fitted with a 200 tdi well ther is just a whole bunch of cut wires and it is not clean at all.

So now I need to re-wire the 110, anyone know the best route to go about ... new wiring harness (wich one) ? or home made one like OEM same color code and all (the route I previously used).

Thanks for all your "savoir faire" !

Pat

Kirk Lazarus, Tropic Thunder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
color="Red">CanadaOverland.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 10th, 2006, 09:22 PM
JSQ
Jack Quinlan

I rewired my 110 pretty quickly after I got it. The original loom was burned up in places and had been tapped into and spliced in so many places by various generations of Canadian soldiers that I decided to hell with it.

I secured a firewall engine harness for a civie car but I had to create my own harness for the lighting. I had the advantage of working with a 2.5 NA diesel and a softop so my electrics were at a minimum, but a 200tdi should still be pretty simple.

I really recommend trying to obtain the firewall harness. I can't imagine making this from scratch. Doing the lights and what not aren't a big deal, but mainly because there's plenty of room to run it all. The other nice thing about using the factory harness is that the stripey current carrying (not BUS) wire you see on your truck is very hard to come by. Essentially, striped wire is expensive and difficult to find which means that if you weave your own loom it won't match up to the factory wiring diagram. It's nice for those wires to be the proper colors later on when you're trying to trouble shoot a problem.

It was a fair amount of work for me, maybe 20 to 30 hours for the whole job, but in the end I felt great knowing everything worked properly and would be reliable. Plus if you haven't done it before you'll learn quite a bit.
Old August 10th, 2006, 10:08 PM
Retrofit
Pat
1984 110 CrewCab 200Tdi

I have rewiered a couple of cars before and a "Heep" too but I was just wandering if it is hard to get the OEM harness or something similar but from what I have read i will probably make my own from scratch with the proper color coding and so on ... Unless someone points me in an other direction ...

Thanks

Pat

Follow-up Post:

Any take on the Painless wiring harness ?

www.painlesswiring.com

Kirk Lazarus, Tropic Thunder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
color="Red">CanadaOverland.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 10th, 2006, 10:20 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I used a painless subharness for my accessories and located one of their weatherproof fuseboxes in the battery box under the seat. Its high quality.

I re-wired my truck when it was apart with a new main body harness from Rovers Down South. It was around 600 buck a couple years ago, but I prefer to have a stock set up.
Old August 11th, 2006, 04:15 AM
ne4x4
Ian McCormack
1984 Landrover 90

I built my harness, all wiring colour codes match, all wiring contained in convoluted tubing. Just takes a lot of time beforehand figuring out all the colours you need and amounts, how many multiplugs you need, which ones etc. Rigging it all up wasn't too bad. I had more bother because I was installing my own custom fure/relay board and rewiring the dash completely as well
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	normal_DSCF0937.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	6208   Click image for larger version

Name:	normal_DSCF0919.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	6209  

Old August 11th, 2006, 03:02 PM
JSQ
Jack Quinlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ne4x4
I built my harness, all wiring colour codes match, all wiring contained in convoluted tubing. Just takes a lot of time beforehand figuring out all the colours you need and amounts, how many multiplugs you need, which ones etc. Rigging it all up wasn't too bad. I had more bother because I was installing my own custom fure/relay board and rewiring the dash completely as well

That looks pretty clean.

your truck has about 12 more relays than mine.
lol.
Old August 14th, 2006, 04:04 AM
ne4x4
Ian McCormack
1984 Landrover 90

it doeas, thats one of the advantages of building your own harness, you can incorporate everything that you need at the start. The additional relays are for roof mounted spotlights, air horns and the twin electic fans

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
110, wiring