Re-trim hiccups - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 3rd, 2011, 10:44 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Re-trim hiccups

Well, I am installing the re-trim ( exmoor ) kit . I did the seat bottoms in no time but can't for the life of me , get out the Head rest

Any suggestions?

Also for those who did this, how much of a pita was the back part of the seat? Seat in or out?

Thanks
Advertisement

Old February 3rd, 2011, 11:21 PM
mcoleman762
Mike Coleman
94 D90 ST/95 D90 SW/83 110

I've done all the seat bottoms on my trucks, and a couple seat backs as well. I would definately remove the whole seat assembly to work on the seat backs. It could probably be done in the truck, but I found it so much easier to work with on my workbench. I didn't find it much of a PITA at all. Personally, I found re-installing the rubber retention strip on the seat bottoms to be much more annoying.

Most of my headrests pulled out with just a little pressure. I recall one that had to be extricated with a rubber mallet. There is a small plastic coated wire in the frame that holds the headrest in place with friction. I'm guessing yours is just tight. It should pop out with a little persuasion.

Cheers,

Mike
Old February 3rd, 2011, 11:24 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Mike, I guess it is time to use the Precision Tool

Thanks
Advertisement

Old February 3rd, 2011, 11:31 PM
mattarm
Matt
1993 D110

Exmoor has a couple of videos on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/user/exmoortrim. I think you may be looking for http://www.youtube.com/user/exmoortr.../0/yKCC1uZssZ0. Look about the 6:25 mark.

Sorry, just re-read. Thought you were asking about retrim the headrest, not removing it from the seat.
Old February 3rd, 2011, 11:41 PM
jack SF
jack baran
95 ST yellow

since you are replace the covers anyway.. cut an access hole in the back. spray some penetrating oil (WD40) and hit it with a hammer from below.

------ Follow up post added February 3rd, 2011 11:43 PM ------

i just did this too. seat out for sure. seat will come on in 2 minutes. held in place by 4 bolts.
Old February 4th, 2011, 07:52 AM
EWR
Carey
1954 CJ-3B

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack SF View Post
since you are replace the covers anyway.. cut an access hole in the back. spray some penetrating oil (WD40) and hit it with a hammer from below.

------ Follow up post added February 3rd, 2011 11:43 PM ------

i just did this too. seat out for sure. seat will come on in 2 minutes. held in place by 4 bolts.

Just do not forget to put the 4 little spacers back in place. Your seat will not slide/adjust very well without those.

Mike Coleman is right on, take it out of the truck.

Gus, take your skirt off and just pull the headrest out, stop being soooo gentle....
Old February 4th, 2011, 08:40 AM
waveridin1959
Brian Jones
1995 D-90 ST #2892

Registry
The backs are pretty easy. The biggest issue I had was getting the new headrest cover on like i wanted them. They will come out of the seat, just yank really hard.

“Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together… mass hysteria!”
Old February 4th, 2011, 09:05 AM
airbornrover
William Skidmore
SIII 109 SW

The problem I have with the exmoor is that the headrest wont go down all the way. So that when you place the tonaeu over it shortens the material to reach the snaps on the dash. (sorry for the highjack)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions