Re-trim early d90 seats - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 19th, 2013, 07:53 AM
pitchrollyaw
wayne p
1985 d90 2.5NA

Registry
Re-trim early d90 seats

Has anyone recovered an early ~'85, hardback seat w/ the current re-trim kits? I am getting conflicting info from various vendors. Thank you.

w
..tolerant Wife...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 19th, 2013, 08:27 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchrollyaw View Post
Has anyone recovered an early ~'85, hardback seat w/ the current re-trim kits? I am getting conflicting info from various vendors. Thank you.

w
yes. I did a couple of sets of 1983 seats with exmoor's black leather kits. someone is giving you bad info

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old November 19th, 2013, 08:32 AM
usadventureracing
Brett

Yes, I have also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 19th, 2013, 09:04 AM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

I did a set using the Britpart kit and it worked well. The only small issue is that the side bolster section of the frame is slightly wider in the early seats than the later ones and you'll need to finesse the new foam onto the frame.

Old November 19th, 2013, 09:26 AM
pitchrollyaw
wayne p
1985 d90 2.5NA

Registry
thanks for the feedback and the tip.

w
..tolerant Wife...
Old December 28th, 2014, 09:09 PM
pitchrollyaw
wayne p
1985 d90 2.5NA

Registry
Success....almost

Well, finally got around to the retrim, seats look great in Techno and without the cracked hardbacks. Fitting the seatback foam was a bit fiddly and required some trimming due to these being early seats.

Now the question: How the hell does the Exmoor zip-lock strip work closing the setback bottom? No matter how much I try, can't seem to get the two sides to engage.... Looks like it shoul be a simple engagement. Any hints or tricks before I throw a tantrum and dig out the hog rings? Thanks.
..tolerant Wife...
Old December 28th, 2014, 09:17 PM
Green Blood
Carl Phillips
1988 90- Swiss LHD 2.5 Petrol

If the kit is like the one for my '88 with the rubber fixing strip around the bottom edge, then the Exmoor video should help you:

I followed this to the tee and the job went well, albeit a bit fiddly.
Proud restorer and former owner of '94 NAS D90 #590- back in the hands of its original owners.

And now happy owner of a 1988 Swiss-Market D90 Station Wagon.
Old December 28th, 2014, 10:56 PM
pitchrollyaw
wayne p
1985 d90 2.5NA

Registry
Thanks.....I had watched those tutorials in prepping. They just seem to press the two sides together and they click.... I'll bring the other seat to this point then attack the seat backs again. My seat back covers are a bit tighter than in the video, I am guessing that's due to mine being the early type and these kits are universal or for the later type.
..tolerant Wife...
Old December 29th, 2014, 05:09 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
I don't know how you are making the new covers fit the tray backs. They are quite different

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old December 29th, 2014, 10:37 AM
pitchrollyaw
wayne p
1985 d90 2.5NA

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
I don't know how you are making the new covers fit the tray backs. They are quite different
Yes they are significantly different as are the shapes of the seat back foams...but the seats came out pretty well, very well actually considering the differences. So, it can be done, but requires some fiddling and trimming of the seat foams. If anyone plans on doing this I will put up a more detailed post; where to trim the foam, etc.

I had the same concern but after the feedback here and from a few others, most saying fiddly but doable, I attempted it and it came out well except for the final step. The final step is more of me not being able to zip the two sides together...
..tolerant Wife...
Old December 29th, 2014, 10:48 AM
pitchrollyaw
wayne p
1985 d90 2.5NA

Registry
Pic of the results. Exmoor does make a very nice kit, if this was a later seat, this would have been a 2 hr job (excluding refinishing the seat frames)....and the only other time I've ever reupholstered seats was in 1991!

..tolerant Wife...
Old December 29th, 2014, 12:27 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Please share your experience. I have new retrim kits but cannot get it to fit the older hardback seat frames.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old December 29th, 2014, 11:15 PM
Green Blood
Carl Phillips
1988 90- Swiss LHD 2.5 Petrol

Looks great! Glad you got it sorted.
Proud restorer and former owner of '94 NAS D90 #590- back in the hands of its original owners.

And now happy owner of a 1988 Swiss-Market D90 Station Wagon.
Old December 30th, 2014, 11:03 AM
pitchrollyaw
wayne p
1985 d90 2.5NA

Registry
thanks Green... Mudsux, I took some pics as I was doing it so I will post them and some details in a few days or so.

The fit is too tight to use the stock zip lock finisher so the early frames may be just a bit taller. I resorted to several black zip ties effectively lacing the two pieces together. I am not thrilled, bit too much of a kluge for me especially as the rest came out so well, but you can't see them on a 90 and they could easily be covered w/ a flap of material. If I was doing it over again, I would still would still go this route.
..tolerant Wife...
Old December 30th, 2014, 06:04 PM
pitchrollyaw
wayne p
1985 d90 2.5NA

Registry
Here is what I did:

-Deepen the side bolster channels in the new seatback foam. This will allow the foam, especially the bolsters, to sit on the new seatbacks almost all the way back. You have to take out 1/2" or a bit more. In doing this you will be cutting through some of the woven reinforcement molded into the seatback. I reinforced the deeper grooves with Gorilla Tape, pressing it into the channels and overlapping the strips. This may be overkill as there is still a good amount of foam left after cutting.

-Taper the bottoms of the seatback foam side bolsters, this will allow the fabric face to pull under and around the bottom of the seatback, otherwise the outboard edges are very tight when you go to join the front and back together. Try to keep the original profile, just with less material.

-Taper the bottom edge of the seatback foam where it glues to the lower crossbar. Again, to enable the fabric to come under the seatback to join the backside of the cover.

-I removed the foam flap that folds over the headrest channel. It left a bulge and seemed to pull the headrest hole too far back (it will be stretched back a bit anyway).

The outer lip of the seatback foam will not be attached the seat frame all the way around..at least I could not get it to seat without more trimming then I wanted to do. The foam will seat on the top of the frame and maybe 1/3 of the way down, but the sides of the bolsters will angle forward a bit. Glue as much as you can, this will be unnoticeable with the covers on.

I'll add pics in the next post. I took these as I was working and the channel tape was not complete and the foam was only rough cut. Conservative trimming and many test fits are the way to go here. PM me if you have any questions.

------ Follow up post added December 30th, 2014 06:14 PM ------

Good luck.

..tolerant Wife...
Old September 8th, 2015, 11:41 PM
LostChord
Brian
86 D110 SW

Registry
9 months later, a reminder bump for install pics
Old September 9th, 2015, 06:29 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Just as an FYI, Julian has the patterns for these early seats. you have to contact Exmoor directly or thru RN. They do not make the foams any more for the backs, so you have to alter the new style,or like me, just stuff them into the cover.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, d90, seats