Re: slow start and running rich 94 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 31st, 2010, 11:08 PM
imeek
Isaac
Red 94 D-90 (SOLD)

Re: slow start and running rich 94

My 1994 D90 has a couple of nagging issues. The first is the slow starting issue. It seems like it's starved for fuel a bit, and always starts on the second crank. Injectors are recently rebuilt and have plenty of juice from the battery (had it tested and it's good).

The other issue is that my truck seems to be running seriously rich (tail pipe is black and lots of condensation). I replaced the exhaust system a few months ago (with cats and all), but did not replace the O2 sensors. What are the symptoms of needing O2 sensors replaced? Any other potential sources of this issue I should look at? No warning lights on the dash at all.

Thanks,
Isaac
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 31st, 2010, 11:47 PM
bd90
Brian
94 Arles Blue #1644

I've had stalling issues and check engine light on and a diagnostic check threw a code indicating a rich condition (forgot the number). My O2 sensors were just replaced so we're thinking its the ECU. I would think you'd have the engine light on. Are you sure theres a bulb in there? Careful not to drive it too much with that problem or you'll eventually damage the Cat.
Old April 1st, 2010, 12:09 AM
imeek
Isaac
Red 94 D-90 (SOLD)

Thanks Brian. The bulb works at start-up and quickly goes out with the rest of them. Did you replace your O2 sensors with OEM? Hard not to drive it, as weather has been perfect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 1st, 2010, 10:41 AM
imeek
Isaac
Red 94 D-90 (SOLD)

Is there a big difference between OEM O2 sensors and non-OEM sensors?
Old April 1st, 2010, 11:34 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Depends on the brand.

Whatever roveryguy sold me worked well (NKT maybe?).
Old April 1st, 2010, 11:38 AM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
Mine was slow to start and then wouldn't start unless I let the fuel pump run a second. Sounded like it wasn't getting enough fuel. I replaced the silver relays and now it fires right up. I didn't have any codes or check engine light either.

Can't help you onthe running rich part.
Old April 1st, 2010, 05:16 PM
bd90
Brian
94 Arles Blue #1644

I hope they were original. The Rover shoppe in Houston replaced them and they were $250 a piece. If a new (Used) ECU doesn't fix it I guess it's the O2 sensors. I just can't imagine that they would go out this fast. Ditto about the weather. It's been a nice stretch of cool temps and sun. Knock on wood.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
start