Rattling engine - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 7th, 2004, 01:45 PM
thurlost
Steve Thurlow

Rattling engine

Hi guys,

Question relating to rattling at the top of the engine.

I've got a 94 Defender with 73,000 miles on the clock. Just recently it has stated rattling at the top of the engine after a couple of minutes of running.

It sounds rather concerning to me but i'm trying to get some pointers as to what people might think the problem is?

Appreciate any help people can offer

Thanks

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 7th, 2004, 02:03 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
A few quick things to check:

1. Open the hood and inspect it while running. You probably already did that.

2. Check the oil. My Disco eats oil and if it is low I get ticking and knocking at start up.

3. Did you change grades of gas recently. I know it sounds absured but if I run low grade gas I start getting knocking in the engine.

I am obviosly no mechanic, but these are a few things that I would look at first.
Old March 7th, 2004, 02:10 PM
thurlost
Steve Thurlow

Thanks for getting back so quick.

Looked under the hood and didn't see anything obviously wrong with it. At first i thought that one of the belts might be loose - it's that sort of sound. But this morning it was sounding as though it was coming from inside the engine - not good.

I've topped it up with oil recently but it's probably due for a change soon.

I've always run it on normal unleaded - not premium.

A couple of weeks ago it was left out over night (and it got down to -20f) and the next morning it wouldn't start. It would turn over but didn't seem to want to fire. Having been left for a week it then started fine but it does seem to be running pretty damn rough ever since. Not sure whether the two things are related.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 7th, 2004, 08:29 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

You have a sticking lifter.
Old March 8th, 2004, 09:29 AM
thurlost
Steve Thurlow

Could you give me some pointers as to how i go about fixing a sticking lifter? Is that something i can do myself or is it a professional mechanic job?

If professional, what sort of effort/cost are we talking about?
Old March 8th, 2004, 09:47 AM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
Could it be your CATS?
Old March 8th, 2004, 09:49 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Often happens in the cold weather, especially prone to happen on Rover engines. I am not sure if it is because they are not getting proper flow of oil at startup or if the hydraulic lifter has drained--maybe someone can offer more info. Usually you can determine by listening if it is on the right or left side of the engine (also, sometimes an exhaust leak is confused with it). Anything is servicable by yourself if you have the time/tools/ambition, but this one is a little more involved. Sometimes you have to change out the lifter. Before even starting this, have a buddy that knows the engine confirm.

Best regards
Old March 8th, 2004, 09:52 AM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
Need advice with AC

My d-90 was making a very loud whining noise that with the help of this board we connected it with the ac compressor belt. I'm not sure if it is the compressor or the belt or a pulley. I cut the belt off last fall and the noise stopped. I was wondering:

1. what belt should I buy and how do you install it. I have a 94 with the 95 ac style system.
2.How and what should I lubricate to try to eliminate the whining.

Thanks everyone.
Old March 8th, 2004, 10:45 AM
vesparover
brian bertolini

I was told once that sticky valves can be cleaned by running atf in your oil for a while. I guess the detergents clean it up in there. Anybody else ever heard this?
brian bertolini
Old March 8th, 2004, 09:59 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Richard,

If it was squeaking, it was probably the belt--if you still have the belt, you can look at the sides at the top of the trapezoid--if it is cracked there, it was probably the belt (if not, it is not too difficult to change the compressor bearing). If the belt was slipping when the clutch on the compressor was engaged, that can be stopped by taking a bar of soap and with the engine/belt running, have the inside of the belt rub on the soap--I use Neutragena. This works on any squeaking/slipping belt. Belt tension is very important, but some belts still squeak.

Did you keep the cut belt? Go to Napa/checker auto and get a replacement of equal length, or go to the dealer and get one for about $25. The belt runs off the waterpump off the inside pulley, I believe, so you will need to remove the fan belt first. There is a belt tensioner that you will need to loosen to get this off--it is a 13mm bolt. Check the belt tension/deflection first so that when you retighten this, you can put it back about the same. Loosen the air compressor belt tensioner (or pivot bolt/slide bolt), put the belt on, then tighten the tensioner. This should be fairly taught. You can start looser and then turn on the engine and see if it slips under load. E-mail me with questions if you need more help.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
engine