Rattle noise from distributor? hmmmm - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 12th, 2005, 09:55 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Cool Rattle noise from distributor? hmmmm

When I have the rev's up over 3000, I hear a rattle, kind of like something is loose. It happens both with my stock distributor and my Mallory. I have replaced the oil pump and the cam is new and there is not any bad wear on the cam/distributor dog. I am getting baffled. If one of you other 94'ers rev this range, do you hear anything? When I put a stethescope on the distributor, I hear it loudest, but not so much on the front cover, oil pump, ect. That leads me to believe that it is coming from the distributor or cam, but I don't think anything like that would be cam related---possible timing gear/chain?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 13th, 2005, 08:33 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

DO you think it could be that little thingy on the end of the distributer that drives the oil pump? Can you turn the rotor back and forth at all when it is in the engine like there is play in the chain/dog engagement? Does the chain look loose at all when you pull the distributer out of the hole? Is it loud, I don't think I would hear much when the engine is reeving at 3k rpm but I'll give it a listen.
Old June 13th, 2005, 09:31 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

The drive gear on the end of the distributor I was refering to as the dog (which, of course, is the wrong term but I don't know what to call it--) and it looks fine and I don't see any wear that would indicate repeated vibrations. I will check the chain, too--I sure am trying to avoid taking off the front cover mainly since I have done that so many times already!

Let me know if you hear anything....thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 13th, 2005, 09:42 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

You need to go with the serp belt setup! I can pull the front cover off without having to move the alt power steering pump or anything other then the radiator and that dam 200 ft lbs crank bolt! Ok in the middle of posting I ran out and checked, I didn't hear any rattling at all. I also had a coworker take a listen too and he didn't hear anything. I felt it and no vibes either.
Old June 13th, 2005, 10:06 AM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

I'm in the middle of a 3.9 to 4.6 upgrade at the moment, Chris. Parts strewn across the garage floor! I have the front cover off the old, and not on the new yet. If you would like to compare anything (tolerances, etc.) let me know. My only problem so far is that the pony keg I started along with my project looks like its not going to go the distance!

let me know if I can help

Rod
Old June 13th, 2005, 10:39 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Thanks for the help guys--Rod, I have my 3.9 still in my garage from my 4.6 upgrade, so I can check that stuff out but I appreciate it. I have one other possibility as well, and that is that the Crane Cam suggested increased rate springs (or double springs) on the rocker arm due to the high profile/high torque cam--maybe I am getting some slap. I don't think so, though, but it is another possibility. Too bad I can't run it with the front cover off--but I can with the rocker cover off, so I will check that out too. The sound is definetly loudest when listening on distributor body, though. hmmmm.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
distributor, rattle