Rattle in the Rear - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 20th, 2011, 11:21 AM
founD90
Dr. Gonzo
1994 D90 #48

Rattle in the Rear

All summer, when the back wheels of the truck go over a bump, I'm hearing something that is best described as:
1. A stack of loose washers bouncing up and down on a bolt, or
2. Loose change rattling around
It's very metallic, and only occurs when the rear tires go over a bump. I can't decide if it has gotten worse, in driving, but it's quite audible. It sounds like it's coming from the right rear versus the left.

I thought I found the problem when I discovered a broken ball-joint on the rear anti-sway bar, but I replaced the rear ball joints and the sound persists. I disassembled the right rear hub to see if the lock washer had gotten loose, nope.

Next step might be the shop, but I wanted to see if anyone had similar problems in the past.

Thanks,

Jerod
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 20th, 2011, 03:36 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I bet your brake pads are rattling around.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old September 20th, 2011, 03:48 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Or your rear door with the weight of the spare tire on there? That's what I've had going on lately, so I'm contemplating a Mantec.

EDIT: just realized you've got a ST, prob not the door.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 20th, 2011, 04:03 PM
Craigd
Craig Dickson
1995 D90 Red Soft top

Registry
I vote for the spare tire holder. There should be some zerk fittings on the hinges behind the spare tire. Squirt a bunch of grease in there so that it oozes out the top and bottom of the hinges.
Old September 20th, 2011, 05:03 PM
founD90
Dr. Gonzo
1994 D90 #48

I've checked the rear door pretty thoroughly. I'm thinking it's tied to either the axles (i.e brakes) or something in the fuel tank, as I've noticed a strong gasoline smell of late.
Old September 21st, 2011, 03:21 PM
michael67
Michael White
110 Tdi

Did you recenty put on an X-brake? Mine rattles around a bit.
Old July 30th, 2012, 12:33 PM
founD90
Dr. Gonzo
1994 D90 #48

Thread resurrection:

Still have the annoying rattles in the back, every time I go over a bump. I've been underneath I've checked all the above suggestions, and it's still as pronounced as ever.

What it is not:

1) Exhaust - just put new exhaust system on
2) Spare tire carrier & hardware - removed rear tire carrier and hardware
3) Brake Pads/System - New pads, inspected all 4 corners
4) Hardware on back door - double checked and torqued all bolts on rear of truck
5) Rear seat hardware - nope
6) Rear sway bar/hardware - replaced all ball joints and hardware on rear sway bar

What I'm thinking: Is it possible that the covers on the OEM lug nuts get loose over time, and cause the rattle? I don't have plain old coverless lugs to test that out, but it seems like that type of sound.

Other suggestions?
Old July 30th, 2012, 01:49 PM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

Check the top bushings of your shocks.
Old July 30th, 2012, 01:56 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickM View Post
Check the top bushings of your shocks.
Definetely check the shock bushings. This weekend my brother had a nastly clunk in his Disco 1 every time he hit a bump - turns out he lost the rubber bushing on the bottom of a rear shock.

Semper Fi!
Old July 30th, 2012, 02:15 PM
founD90
Dr. Gonzo
1994 D90 #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication View Post
Definetely check the shock bushings. This weekend my brother had a nastly clunk in his Disco 1 every time he hit a bump - turns out he lost the rubber bushing on the bottom of a rear shock.
Negative. Checked both out (and the shocks are pretty recent <2 years) and there's no play on either side, top or bottom. On occasion I've been convinced it was the bottom of the shocks not being secure, and the washers clanging against something. However they always check out nice and tight.

Lug nuts?
Old July 30th, 2012, 03:04 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Rear a frame ball joint?

Does it happen when you jump on the bumper? Other possibilities include a bad u-joint in a drive shaft or pinion bearing, but I would think that would cause other issues.
Old July 30th, 2012, 03:30 PM
founD90
Dr. Gonzo
1994 D90 #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
Rear a frame ball joint?

Does it happen when you jump on the bumper? Other possibilities include a bad u-joint in a drive shaft or pinion bearing, but I would think that would cause other issues.
Yes, I hear it when I jump on the bumper. I agree it could be either, as those have not been replaced. What other issues would I see with if the U-joint was bad?

I made a little recording of me jumping on the bumper. If you can hear through some of the other noise, it's the metallic sound.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 Memo.mp3 (125.7 KB, 75 views)
Old July 30th, 2012, 10:05 PM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

I would imagine the look folks were giving you as you were jumping on your truck and trying to record this stuff.
Old July 30th, 2012, 10:16 PM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Where was the microphone?

Old July 30th, 2012, 10:20 PM
founD90
Dr. Gonzo
1994 D90 #48

You guys are funny. I was standing on the bumper, holding the rear cage with my right hand and holding my iPhone in the other. Using the voice recording app, I held the phone at about 7:00, microphone down, while I jumped and rocked the truck.

It would have been a funny sight, but sadly, I don't believe anyone saw me.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
rattle