Raptor Engineering Defender Binnacle - Page 5 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 25th, 2015, 01:38 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
It is still there. Must be your browser.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 25th, 2015, 02:42 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
It is still there. Must be your browser.
Na. Tried it on iPhone, iPad, Dell, and Mac Air. I can get to it via the link you posted, but no pics. Been searching the site, can't find that part by going through their site. I can find the instrument binnacle, but not the support. Search for PN showed nothing. And keyword searches for "cowl" and "instrument" brought no results. Not sure, but I'm thinking I'm an idiot.

I'm using the 110 NAS version. I would assume the 90 version is the same as the standard LHD versions from other years. I made this clear to Raptor, with picture evidence, waiting to hear back.

1965 IIa SWB
1988 Saudi 110 (soon to be 300tdi)
Old September 25th, 2015, 02:56 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
I can see pictures and working links on Raptor's site no problem.

Or are you taking about the Safari HP mount? The picture on there site is not there, but you can see it on the thread I linked on this forum. It is just the mount.

There are a variety of items being discussed here and you need to be clear which one you are talking about.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 25th, 2015, 03:08 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
LOL... Yes, we moved on. Was talking about Safari's site.

Thought I was clear since a couple people had posted about Safari, and I referenced the links you posted.

1965 IIa SWB
Old September 25th, 2015, 03:48 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
To clarify, where did you get that first link? I can't find that product by starting on their home page.

1965 IIa SWB
Old September 25th, 2015, 04:09 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
I typed "instrument" into the search box.

Old September 25th, 2015, 04:57 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
I cannot see a picture from Safari.

Is this the same part?

http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?n...d=171947181198

I was looking for a replacement for mine and decided I can live with a broken one after seeing it was over $200
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20150925_165711.png
Views:	75
Size:	596.7 KB
ID:	130654  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old September 25th, 2015, 05:07 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
I typed "instrument" into the search box.
And to think, the fake search box at the TOP actually fooled me. I'm an idiot.

1965 IIa SWB
Old September 25th, 2015, 05:20 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Too bad you guys are RDH! I have a nice takeoff LHD with just a hairline crack between one section of gauges.
Old September 25th, 2015, 05:21 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by D90Overkill View Post
Too bad you guys are RDH! I have a nice takeoff LHD with just a hairline crack between one section of gauges.
Mine is LHD. Can you please post pics

Old September 25th, 2015, 05:24 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Duh! Of course you are. Sorry. Didn't look at your posted pic. I won't see my truck until the 5th. I'll see if I have an old pic somewhere.
Old September 25th, 2015, 05:38 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
All I have is this pic from my old phone. I can get you a real pic focused on the actual cowl on the 5th. The hairline crack is between the Christmas tree and the speedometer. It's minimal and glue able/repairable and I can't even see it in the shot.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-2586574214.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	502.3 KB
ID:	130657  
Old February 11th, 2017, 10:13 PM
SimpleJack
Joe
94 D90 NAS ST

Registry
Trapezoid warning lights

Thought I'd post this here.

I ordered direct from Raptor Engineering their Deluxe black binnacle LHD as see here.

https://www.raptor-engineering.co.uk...nacle/#reviews

Upon receiving it I noticed they sent a binnacle with square warning lights and my warning lights are trapezoidal. My initial email stated I had a 1994 NAS DEfender 90. Should they have sent the binnacle with trapezoidal cut out? I ask as I'm not the first owner and don't know the history of my truck and if the rectangular lights are stock. Just want to check with the forum before I ask Raptor to correct the mistake.
Old February 11th, 2017, 10:47 PM
The_Vermonster
Gordon
1984 110 CSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
Thought I'd post this here.

I ordered direct from Raptor Engineering their Deluxe black binnacle LHD as see here.

https://www.raptor-engineering.co.uk...nacle/#reviews

Upon receiving it I noticed they sent a binnacle with square warning lights and my warning lights are trapezoidal. My initial email stated I had a 1994 NAS DEfender 90. Should they have sent the binnacle with trapezoidal cut out? I ask as I'm not the first owner and don't know the history of my truck and if the rectangular lights are stock. Just want to check with the forum before I ask Raptor to correct the mistake.
There is only a square cutout. If you have the trapezoidal warning lights you will mount them from the front, like in this picture https://www.raptor-engineering.co.uk...binnacle_4.jpg

The screws will thread in to the binnacle itself. I had to enlarge the holes a little to get the screws in in the first place.
Old February 12th, 2017, 07:21 AM
terryjm1
Terry
1988 Land Rover Santana & 98 D1 TDI

Just seeing the general post. I have the Raptor engineering metal binnacle and the lower metal mounting section in my LHD Santana. Fits perfect and looks great! Be careful to get the heater control decals on just right.
Old February 12th, 2017, 07:45 AM
SimpleJack
Joe
94 D90 NAS ST

Registry
Gordon and Terry thanks so much. This is what you and Raptor said:

You will find its only the front of the warning light cluster that is trapezoidal. The back of it is rectangular.

Once you start taking your existing one apart in order to transfer its content to the new one you will see.

The cluster fits from the front and will fit perfectly in to the new one.

If you are in any doubt please remove the 2 screws holding your cluster in place, you will be able to pull it forward and see it is in fact rectangular where it fits through the hole in the binnacle.

Just a note,, when you come to remove your existing binnacle you will see there are many wires connected to it, trace the wiring back in the dash and you will find a multi plug. You can un plug all the wiring at this point and remove the whole thing with the wires making it much easier to re wire the binnacle out of the Landrover on a bench. This way its just a plug in when you put it in.
Old February 12th, 2017, 10:41 AM
Yankee Defender
Ralph Becki
1995 / Defender 110 Station Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
Gordon and Terry thanks so much. This is what you and Raptor said: You will find its only the front of the warning light cluster that is trapezoidal. The back of it is rectangular. Once you start taking your existing one apart in order to transfer its content to the new one you will see. The cluster fits from the front and will fit perfectly in to the new one. If you are in any doubt please remove the 2 screws holding your cluster in place, you will be able to pull it forward and see it is in fact rectangular where it fits through the hole in the binnacle. Just a note,, when you come to remove your existing binnacle you will see there are many wires connected to it, trace the wiring back in the dash and you will find a multi plug. You can un plug all the wiring at this point and remove the whole thing with the wires making it much easier to re wire the binnacle out of the Landrover on a bench. This way its just a plug in when you put it in.
SimpleJack is dead on.... I just installed the Raptor binnacle mount & instrument panel last week. The trapezoidal part of the warning cluster sits on top of the Raptor panel with the square part of the warning light assembly passing through the panel...

The Raptor dash is super nice...I replaced the standard control stickers with etched metal ones you can find on ebay for another $20.
Old February 12th, 2017, 12:20 PM
TRS
Tyler
94 D90 ST #304

Registry
How about some pictures of the setup

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old February 12th, 2017, 12:49 PM
The_Vermonster
Gordon
1984 110 CSW

I didn't have any illumination when I started so I took the time to rewire in some LEDs as well. VDO Gauges are on the wishlist, but not in the near future. Cost about $10 to run new receptacles and bulbs. Plus I could remove a lot of extra wiring.

The mount and binnacle don't fit as well as I would have liked. I fiddled with it a little yesterday and got it in a better place, but it isn't perfect. My mount is about half an inch narrower than the binnacle at the top. I have it secured, but I feel like it could be better. I bought mine used and it was totally worth the $150 I paid. If you have a broken plastic binnacle, don't even consider another option.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WP_20170120_12_24_46_Pro.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	206570   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20170120_12_24_58_Pro.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	206578  

Name:	WP_20170116_21_39_09_Pro.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	206586  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, defender, engine