Random stalling - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 7th, 2012, 09:50 PM
DucatiChick
Christine
1994 Defender90

Registry
Question Random stalling

Well, I didn't believe the hubby when he told me that my truck would randomly stall while coasting or in idle !
He only drives it once a week or so and I drive it everyday, so I thought he either stalled it ao the truck just didn't like him since it never happens 2 me, lol.
Well, tonight it happened to me
This seems to be totally random....when coasting or in neutral the service engine and oil light comes on and the truck dies. However, it starts right back up and runs like a champ...until the next episode...say weeks from now !!???
Got my buddy looking at it tomorrow but i figured it wouldn't hurt getting some opinions from my fellow D90 enthusiasts

Mystified in Destin..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 8th, 2012, 08:54 AM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Any recent work done to it?

Old July 8th, 2012, 01:18 PM
DucatiChick
Christine
1994 Defender90

Registry
New Bearings..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 8th, 2012, 05:23 PM
Raz
Leif
1994 90 ST #1589

Registry
Sounds like it could be the stepper motor. When mine went it had high RPM problems, but stalling is the other side of the stepper motor coin.
Old July 8th, 2012, 06:28 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Or Faulty speedo transducer. ECU needs to know vehicle is slow and stopping in order to go into idle mode which is controlled by stepper motor. Clean stepper motor up with carb cleaner or replace with one fro v6 86 Chevy Astro van ... About $40 from auto zone.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old July 8th, 2012, 08:29 PM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
Or Faulty speedo transducer. ECU needs to know vehicle is slow and stopping in order to go into idle mode which is controlled by stepper motor. Clean stepper motor up with carb cleaner or replace with one fro v6 86 Chevy Astro van ... About $40 from auto zone.
Agreed on the VSS...I just went through this recently on my truck and all was resolved with a used VSS box from Will Tillery.

Is your speedometer still working correctly or have you noticed erratic behavior?
Old July 10th, 2012, 07:12 PM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

I was having similar issues, but found it to be the coil to dist cap connection. Replaced the wires and plugs and flipped the coil. I started with the stepper motor so it is fairly new, but did not fix the initial issue. Things got noticibly better though after the "tune up"

Recently however my truck has been doing odd things. Sometimes at idle it will rev way high and other times it appears like it is trying to die on me. In the past it would sputter but then hold tough. Tonight though on the way home the truck died. Turned the key and it came right back and was ok. I checked my oil and it was real low so I did add oil. I may clean my stepper again really good tonight but does this sound familiar. I did put in a new fuel pump recently also.

What I think is odd is the fact that occassionally it has been revving really high lately also.
Old July 10th, 2012, 07:24 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickM View Post
I was having similar issues, but found it to be the coil to dist cap connection. Replaced the wires and plugs and flipped the coil. I started with the stepper motor so it is fairly new, but did not fix the initial issue. Things got noticibly better though after the "tune up"

Recently however my truck has been doing odd things. Sometimes at idle it will rev way high and other times it appears like it is trying to die on me. In the past it would sputter but then hold tough. Tonight though on the way home the truck died. Turned the key and it came right back and was ok. I checked my oil and it was real low so I did add oil. I may clean my stepper again really good tonight but does this sound familiar. I did put in a new fuel pump recently also.

What I think is odd is the fact that occassionally it has been revving really high lately also.
Possessed. Kill a chicken and read its bones for the problem.

Did you unplug the battery recently? Mine does this for a few starts every time I unplug the battery -- otherwise stepper motor, temp sensor would be my first two guesses.
Old July 10th, 2012, 09:15 PM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

Can I use my wife's cat. That little runt of a cat has kept me awake so many nights. I am would love to kill two birds with one stone.

So I pulled the stepper and hit it with a bunch of seafoam. I also noticed while I was at it that my valve covers were way loose. I mean way way way loose. That would explain the oil loss. I remembered noticing this once before but I had forgotten to check it. Anyway, I have not run it but
Old July 10th, 2012, 10:57 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Valve covers do that. For insane money (last I checked) there are updated bolts.
Old July 11th, 2012, 05:26 AM
maleger
Marc-Andre Leger
94D90 CDN#18 http://rover.leger.ca

Registry
The Stepper Motor - Intake Air Control Valve (Part # ERR4352) replacement fixed this on my D90. I got a part for 25$ + shipping (5$) on ebay, said it was IAC AC1 Chevy Pontiac Camaro 83
Old July 11th, 2012, 11:16 AM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

Mine has taken a twist for the weaird so I started a new thread as to not thread jack.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions