Random Sputtering and dying - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 19th, 2008, 12:50 PM
MontanaD90
Richard
95/ Defender 90 NAS

Random Sputtering and dying

So I searched it and I few similar issues came up, but either they were unresolved or it wasnt quite what was going on. I have 1995 defender 90, 68,000 miles on it. During the fall I was on the trail wheeling it and hit a little puddle and as i came out and my RPM's came down they went all the way to zero and died. I tried starting it a few times and nothing happened. Checked all the usual culprits, water in the cap etc. None of them were bad. Towed it off the trail behind my buddies truck (probably one of the most embracing things ever). Anyways let it sit for a few days before I could work on it and when i got to it figured i would check it and it fired up i like nothing had ever been wrong.
Fast forward to the last 2 weeks, the same problem has been happening randomly and when it does afterwards it sputters and i really have to keep on the RPM's to keep it going if I can even get it started. I can hear the fuel pump and it turns over just fine but wont catch. Then it will sit for a little ( a few hours to a few days) and run. It finally stopped running so i decided to replace a bunch of parts that were probably in order anyways and potential culprits.
New fuel filter
checked fuel pump, fuel came out of fuel line with gusto
new distributer cap
rotors
spark plugs
spark plug lines
air filter
Did all of that and I though somewhere in there I had nixed the problem, but today it happened again.

I desperately need help here A) because i am a starving college student with not really anymore money to spend on randomly purchasing parts to try to solve it B) because I am supposed to drive it back from montana to boston in 2 weeks, and my lease on my house is up so I will be homeless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 19th, 2008, 12:57 PM
ctrover
jim larson
1984 v8 127

maybe you got water in the gas tank somehow?can u drain the tank and start fresh?or maybe put in a bunch of dry gas?or could be the coil
Old April 19th, 2008, 01:00 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
How carefully have you checked the connections at the coil? Sometimes just messing with the lead from the coil seems to break off the smaller connections on the side of the coil.

Do 95's have a crank position sensor? Did the box under your passenger seat get wet? Might want to check the connections at the ECU, clean them, and ensure its snapped on tight.

That's the extent of my v8 brainstorming.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 19th, 2008, 01:19 PM
MontanaD90
Richard
95/ Defender 90 NAS

I will check and clean all the ecu fittings and check it out. Kinda pain since i Have Corbeau seats so i have to take out my seats, but far less of a pain then not having a running truck.
I am a little concerned since it is so random I wont know whether or not it is fixed till the next time it dies on the trail or in some extraordinarily inopportune spot

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions