Random charging issue - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 29th, 2015, 12:53 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Random charging issue

I have a 94 classic with 4.2. For all intensive purposes the same exact setup as the 93,94,95 NAS trucks. I was recently 85 miles from home and the charge light came on. I tried the usual like revving the engine and the light stayed on. I was able to drive all the way home through the mountains with headlights and wipers on. The next morning I put a new alternator I had from Rovers North on the truck. When I hooked the battery back up that alternator made a hum. I started the truck and the light went out and I turned it off and the hum was gone. Its been 4 days and the truck still starts and runs fine but I have another problem. I have twice now gone out to the truck and found the charge lamp on when the truck wasn't running. Its got me buffalo'd. The truck still starts and runs but seemingly if the light is on I'm discharging ?

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 29th, 2015, 01:52 PM
xjahx
JAH
'93 NAS 110, '94 NAS ST, '85 90 PU

Registry
-Does the voltage of the battery drop over the period that this light is on without the truck running? Sounds like it would be discharging as you suspect.
-Easy solution, install a battery kill switch but that does not address the problem.
-And as with 99.9% of all electrical issues on these trucks, check for a bad ground.
Old December 29th, 2015, 03:13 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
I have a 94 classic with 4.2. For all intensive purposes the same exact setup as the 93,94,95 NAS trucks. I was recently 85 miles from home and the charge light came on. I tried the usual like revving the engine and the light stayed on. I was able to drive all the way home through the mountains with headlights and wipers on. The next morning I put a new alternator I had from Rovers North on the truck. When I hooked the battery back up that alternator made a hum. I started the truck and the light went out and I turned it off and the hum was gone. Its been 4 days and the truck still starts and runs fine but I have another problem. I have twice now gone out to the truck and found the charge lamp on when the truck wasn't running. Its got me buffalo'd. The truck still starts and runs but seemingly if the light is on I'm discharging ?
Check the battery terminals; my truck had a bolt through a weld terminal and that caused a charging issue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 29th, 2015, 03:21 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Alternator is grounded as it is bolted to the block. Battery terminals in good condition as battery is also new. I haven't left the truck unattended long enough to see if this malady will discharge the battery, yet anyway.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old December 29th, 2015, 03:35 PM
RovingRyan
Ryan Phelps
84 LHD 110

Registry
Diode in the alt? This is exactly how mine failed on my 200tdi.
Old December 29th, 2015, 03:42 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I'm thinking it is a diode or short in the new alternator, called Drew and he concurs.

Calling Zack....

Dividing Creek Imports

Old December 29th, 2015, 05:57 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Does the 94 have the fusible links? Those go bad too.
Old December 29th, 2015, 07:19 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
Does the 94 have the fusible links? Those go bad too.
Yes. Have replaced the one to the heater. Fusible links kill power not turn on warning lights

Dividing Creek Imports

Old December 29th, 2015, 08:46 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Here's how you verify.
Disconnect the battery ground and hook a light bulb between the ground terminal and the (-) battery terminal.
If the light glows (usually every so slightly) you have a diode or charge circuit short.
To verify disconnect the alternator and if the glow is gone you have a bad diode for sure.

The bad news is that if you have installed a 3rd alternator and the same issue persists, then you have a grounding issue or short that is accelerating diode failure, muthalikka.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old December 29th, 2015, 09:05 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
who ?

Dividing Creek Imports

Old December 29th, 2015, 09:49 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

You had to ask!
Guess who?

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions