Random Body Parts Questions - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 11th, 2011, 12:33 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Random Body Parts Questions

So, without hopefully jinxing things, I am finally going to end up with a rover, and I have a few questions about defender body parts:

1. Grill. When I was over at Ron (evilfij's) place, he had a Defender grill from a 110 that looked different from most earlier ones I had seen. This one "stuck out" more, so to speak, and had a more modern look to it. Is this considered a "TD5 grill" or did it start appearing on Defenders before that?

2. Wings. What's the difference between UK Defender and NAS Defender wings? Rovers North seems to have both listed.

3. Bonnet. From what I've gathered looking around the web, there's something called a "Puma Bonnet". I'm guessing that these are factory land rover parts, but are they available to purchase?

4. Swingaway Tire Carrier. Obviously the NAS had one....are there alternatives that operate the same way (that is, open with the rear door, as opposed to swing away independently like many jeep tire carriers do?)

5. Alloy Wheels. As I understand it, Freestyles are the most common, Boost alloys are newer. Are there any others that were sold by Land Rover?

6. Folding/Locking Rear Seats. I know that exmoor trim has a pair, but the ones that I'm curious about are the ones that came on the 2010 Defender:
http://vipcar.com.vn/media/FullSize/...Seats-View.jpg
Are these seats pretty much a pipe dream, or are they actually sold somewhere?

7. Rear LED Signals. ECR's web page seems to be down for their LED turns, brakes and backup signals. Any idea on who makes these nowadays?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 11th, 2011, 01:11 PM
16kpsi
Tony Lawson
1986 D110 ex-200tdi to be 6BT

others have way more knowledge on 1 & 2

3. Puma bonnet is flat across the front half and a 'bump' in the back middle - more underhood space to accomodate taller engine parts. Stephen at Safari Resto has some down in florida. They ain't cheap. Do a google search to see pics. Some hate the look. Other like it. Have heard it gets rid of the water bubble that gathers in the older hood pocket and washes forward to get atomized onto your windscreen every time you stop in the rain.

4. Atlantic British has one. There are others too. There is a difference between NAS Soft Top version and Station wagon version. The ST tailgate has recesses on the outside that the NAS carrier accomodates. The SW version mounts to the flat skin on the flat SW doors. A SW version is easier to modify to NAS than the other way around.

5. There is a third that was also on the Discos - XS Deep Dish. I've heard in theory they are the only alloy rated to the higher GVW of the 110, but not 100% sure on that.

6. Yeah, those are pretty. There are a few vendors on here that might be able to source them used out of the UK and bring them over in a shipment. Time and money. I believe they also require a notched modification to the tub (availible on UK Ebay or DIY) or a newer tub.
Old April 11th, 2011, 01:17 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16kpsi View Post
3. Have heard it gets rid of the water bubble that gathers in the older hood pocket and washes forward to get atomized onto your windscreen every time you stop in the rain.
Who would want to get rid of that? I love watching it build up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 11th, 2011, 01:19 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

1. Pushed out grill came standard on the NAS 110. It was pushed out to accommodate some of the AC components. New trucks still have it. Not sue what trucks it is needed on though. I have seen newer 300 tdis without it yet they have AC.
Old April 11th, 2011, 01:25 PM
97-D90-736
Nick Vogel
1997 D-90 / 2012 LR4

#4. I hate the OEM attached tire carrier. If I had the choice, would def fo with a "Jeep" style one. That way you could go to a tailage style, which I have always thought would be cool.
Old April 11th, 2011, 01:53 PM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
1. Lavender's truck has the grill you are talking about if you want to actually compare dimensions but from what I understand, it is for the AC

2. I assume the NAS wings are pre-cut for the marker lamp

3. The Bull Run truck that our friends from the other side of the pond brought to HH last year had the Puma bonnet (see pic)

4. Horsey and others have the Mantec carrier which seems to be a popular one and is sold at several vendors. Also, as was mentioned, Stephen Peters has a similar style

5. Pedro has/had a set of the 3rd kind for sale

6. stop! put in a bench and be happy!

7. I don't remember who makes ECR's but you can also check out Tom @ Safari Dust (http://www.safaridust.com/)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
So, without hopefully jinxing things, I am finally going to end up with a rover, and I have a few questions about defender body parts:

1. Grill. When I was over at Ron (evilfij's) place, he had a Defender grill from a 110 that looked different from most earlier ones I had seen. This one "stuck out" more, so to speak, and had a more modern look to it. Is this considered a "TD5 grill" or did it start appearing on Defenders before that?

2. Wings. What's the difference between UK Defender and NAS Defender wings? Rovers North seems to have both listed.

3. Bonnet. From what I've gathered looking around the web, there's something called a "Puma Bonnet". I'm guessing that these are factory land rover parts, but are they available to purchase?

4. Swingaway Tire Carrier. Obviously the NAS had one....are there alternatives that operate the same way (that is, open with the rear door, as opposed to swing away independently like many jeep tire carriers do?)

5. Alloy Wheels. As I understand it, Freestyles are the most common, Boost alloys are newer. Are there any others that were sold by Land Rover?

6. Folding/Locking Rear Seats. I know that exmoor trim has a pair, but the ones that I'm curious about are the ones that came on the 2010 Defender:
http://vipcar.com.vn/media/FullSize/...Seats-View.jpg
Are these seats pretty much a pipe dream, or are they actually sold somewhere?

7. Rear LED Signals. ECR's web page seems to be down for their LED turns, brakes and backup signals. Any idea on who makes these nowadays?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00073-20100707-1809.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	37802  
Old April 11th, 2011, 02:01 PM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

1) The "stick out" front panel is for vehicles with A/C. it's made of fiberglass (As opposed to aliminium like the "flat" panel). As mentioned, some later models with AC don't have this panel... I suspect it's just due to modern heat exchangers being smaller/more efficient or the vehicle itself (namely the 2.4 litre ford engined "puma") having a smaller main engine radiator, thus leaving more room in the engine bay.

2) NAS wings will have the cut-outs for the front rollcage hoop, and larger turn light repeater holes (and probably in a different position to UK/euro repeaters)
Bear in mind, there's several UK/euro models of wing too.... up to 200Tdi, V8, 300Tdi, Td5/puma. all the same shape, it's just the outer skin panel that's different due to the air intake (LH side, when stood behind the truck, for 2.25/2.5NA/2.5TD/200Tdi/V8, and RH side for 300Tdi/Td5/puma) and turnlight repeaters (none on 2.25/2.5TD, then oblong and sticky-out on later 2.5TD/200Tdi's, square and flat on 300Tdi, and oval & flat on Td5/puma)

3) Puma bonnet... as above, it has the "power bulge" to accomodate the 2.4 duratorque engine. they're ever so slightly wider than a normal bonnet too.

4) Mantec, Bearmach, and various other makes out there all with varying prices & quality.

5) for UK (and US i think), "freestyle" were fitted to 90's (and disco 1's). for UK and euro, the deep dish and boost were the only ones rated for 110's (although i've got freestyle on my 110 with road tyres, and i'm still alive here typing this....)
Other alloys were castor (yukky yuk!), sports (quite nice looking), the 5 spoke "angled" type on disco1...forgotten the name but look nice, and of course the classic rangerover 3 spoke, which were never fitted to defenders.

6 & 7 seats up to you, lights i'd contact ECR.
Old April 11th, 2011, 02:13 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
I actually have a Safari Gard / SafariGard / SG rear tire carrier. I don't really have good pics of it on my truck, but here are some good ones.

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=10583

http://www.4x4nmore.com/whiterover/r...reCarrier.html
Old April 11th, 2011, 03:32 PM
97-D90-736
Nick Vogel
1997 D-90 / 2012 LR4

Will gladly trade tire carriers if anyone wants the OEM one
Old April 12th, 2011, 03:49 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Quite a build you're planning
Hope to watch progress in truck build-ups & restores

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
body, part, parts