Defender Source Forum banner

Rally lights

Tags
ht lights
2K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  themaxx 
#1 · (Edited)
I would like to get some Rally lights which will go on my stock push bar.

HELLA or PIAA?

If Hella...1000, 3000, 4000?

Are the HIDs worth it?

Pencil, Euro, Corner??? I assume Euro....

Thanks in advance.

#2 · (Edited)
At all the rallies, all the outdoor shows, all the truck shows, there is ALWAYS one thing in common when the lights go down..............HID lamps rock. So does the price. I don't have them, but if I was to doll out some dosh for a much wanted accessory, HID lamps would be at the top of my list. Damn, they are bright. And I am a lighting guy, day in, day out. Far, far far, superior to other "normal" headlights to the factor of at least 3:1, sometimes 6:1 on light per watt. That is to say, for the power they draw, they reign supreme. Way above incandescent, way above Halogen or Xelogen, way above LED. If you want to drop the coin, they will reward you.

That said, it sure would be nice to have pencil beams on your roof with cornering lights outside of them, then headlights as the Eurobeam. That pretty much would feed the family. I don't know really what I mean by that, but it sounds about right. Cheers.

#4 ·
I picked up a pair of the Hella HID compact 4000.
They are bright white. I haven't offroaded yet with them, but so far I love them
The beam options aren't needed as they scatter well.
I had 4 hella 4000's and a set of 3000's and Piaa bulbs on the 110.
I would rather have 1 set of HID's

G
#5 ·
Ummm, what do you want these lights to do? ... hi-speed, long range, crappy weather/fog/snow, slow speed trail / wide angle illumination???

Might have a significiant bearing on the answer?

I've got Hella 4k's on the Dicso bumper (2-cornering & 1-"euro") that work nicely and some goofy dual beam white/yellow PIAA's that the PO stuck on the 90 ... that work well for wide angle lighting ...

Opinions / bellybuttons... you know the rest.

KAA

#6 ·
Keith Armstrong said:
Ummm, what do you want these lights to do? ... hi-speed, long range, crappy weather/fog/snow, slow speed trail / wide angle illumination???

Might have a significiant bearing on the answer?

I've got Hella 4k's on the Dicso bumper (2-cornering & 1-"euro") that work nicely and some goofy dual beam white/yellow PIAA's that the PO stuck on the 90 ... that work well for wide angle lighting ...

Opinions / bellybuttons... you know the rest.

KAA
Not completely familiar with what you mean by Hi-speed.

I want long range/crappy weather/fog/snow AND angle illumination! If you can throw in a really hot chick too...that would be awesome!!!

G
#7 ·
Wow, let me get that Magic Lamp (pun intended) outta the closet :)

By "hi-speed" I meant rural highway / desert racing stuff ... all that stuff that sound s like fun that I at least never get to do :( I will say that the big lights are very comforting for highway driving ... of course when there's no other traffic ... out in the country, esp in the Fall while trying to avoid the crazy deer!

Gotta agree with Chris, the HID lamps are amazing. I'm just too blasted cheap to actually buy them.

For really low speed, really wide angle, who gives a crap how they look, I've got some tractor work lights that use 50W H3 bulbs. I try not to wear my bib overalls on the trail however :) Oh, did I mention that they're cheap too :)

KAA

#9 ·
Lights were the last modification I added to mine. I just didn't do that much night wheelin'. I have 2 Hella 4000s cornering beams, not HIDs though.

They are great for spotting the elk and deer along side the road at night and they really light up the trail. If I ever add anymore lights they probably would be euro beams to give me more distance. I don't really have a problem out driving my lighting though even on the highway and certainly not on the trail.

On road they are only useful in remote areas. Aren't they illeagal on highway? Seems to me that the biggest problem with them is that when I turn them off, I feel blind until my eyes adjust.

Like I said this is with 4000's with cornering beams. With their coverage I could drive without my lowbeam headlights and barely notice they were off.

#10 ·
I've been running 2X Hella Rallye 4000 Hids up front, and one Hella HID backup light, for the last five years. They
are SWEET, the lights are really impressive. Lights up the whole field for helping others access in the dark. Super white.
Can't go back to non-HID lights..:)

#13 · (Edited)

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.