Rain coming in the back of my 97 D-90 ST - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 11th, 2008, 03:09 PM
wadaman
Glenn Wada
97 D-90 #1257

Rain coming in the back of my 97 D-90 ST

There is a 1.5 inch gap where my soft top leaks into the back of my D-90, just over the swinging back tailgate.

Any way to address this in an attractive manner, or am I missing a part off my soft top? Just picked up the truck a month ago...

Thanks,

GW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 11th, 2008, 03:15 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Search "tailgate bar" do you have that?

Ron

PS no luck finding that hella 3000. I found two hella 1000s, a pair of 4000s and a bunch of IPFs, but no 3000s.
Old December 11th, 2008, 03:34 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Last time I checked... Hella still had a stock of 3000's.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 11th, 2008, 08:11 PM
hutch
Hutch
97 AA Yellow D90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadaman
There is a 1.5 inch gap where my soft top leaks into the back of my D-90, just over the swinging back tailgate.

Any way to address this in an attractive manner, or am I missing a part off my soft top? Just picked up the truck a month ago...
The stock Bestop does this - very typical. A badger top is much better as there are a couple inches of extra fabric that fold back when you close the door which prevents a gap.

That being said, these trucks leak. I just drove mine with the surrey on through a rainstorm today in Florida. As long as you don't stop the rain doesn't really get ya!
Old December 12th, 2008, 08:23 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
The PO of mine had the rear of the top lengthened slightly by adding a bit of material just below the window. It's hardly noticable.

Which reminds me, I need to find a piece of scrap material like the tickford top material to make a repair.
Old December 12th, 2008, 12:57 PM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
I used pipe insulation on mine. The 2" I believe that is already slit at Home Depot. I just slide the end of the window in it and it seemed to help. Not to mention it was a less then a dollar fix. I did it on the top around the doors too. I bought the stuff with the self adhesive for that area and then it lasted a winter or so.

Use the gray stuff and you hardly notice it, and they have a camper or window seal rubber trim that I did on the inside of the window frames that helped with the water issues too, especially melting snow.

Alex
Old December 12th, 2008, 06:35 PM
specops1526
Brian
Beluga '97 90

I've used the camper top foam weather stripping too. Works pretty good. You can probably put the sticky side down on the top of the rear door to block up that gap.

-->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Beluga 97 D-90
Chawton 04 DII SE
Tangiers 04 DII G4
Old December 12th, 2008, 06:49 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Just FYI - the tailgate bar is supposed to have a piece of weatherstripping that slides into it. Its not secured, and easily slides out. When I ran my soft top (even crappy old bestop) this gap was never an issue and was adequately sealed with the piece of rubber.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, 97, ac, d-90