rail system hooks & anchor point mounts - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 24th, 2003, 12:27 PM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

Question rail system hooks & anchor point mounts

First, has anyone found c or u shaped hooks / latches that can be used to latch onto the soft top rail system on the Defender? I have not yet moved my various tops over to California and am looking for an inexpensive way to cover the tub. I thought a canvas cover secured by something via the rail system could work. Once on, draw strings could pull it tight.
Second - I have all sorts of screw holes and just plain holes on the outside top section of the tub panels. I know some are there for a hard top, and I figure bench seating. Are there other reasons they exist? And, does anyone know of anchor mounts that can be used via those screws. All I can find are 2 or 3 inch two screw mounted anchors and the D-90 seems to need singles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 24th, 2003, 12:48 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Do you mean to secure a cover to the soft top rails that run around the tub? If so, I had a problem with out top getting pulled out of them at highway speeds. The wind was pushing the side windows in so hard that they started coming out of the rails. A quick stop at a Home Depot somewhere in Kansas, and I bought 8 heavy duty key rings, and used them. This is one of the few pictures I can find right at the moment showing them but you can barely see them:
http://www.defendersource.com/trail/...es/zcolo28.jpg

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old November 24th, 2003, 01:16 PM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

Yes, I am thinking of using the soft top rails. I have not had a problem with the rail system with a full Bestop cover, even at 80-85 mph which is about as fast as i have ever gone in the D-90. I believe the Badger works tub cover uses the rails as well but 1 I can not afford those covers, and two, if i can get all together, I will have a bench seat down one side of the tub, and a locker system down the other side. The tub canvas cover will go over these as rain and somewhat privacy protection.
Or I guess I could bolt on the L type brackets you see on the SIII and UK military LRs and rope it down.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
mount