Radius Arm Removal Problem - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 11th, 2010, 01:27 PM
punter
Scott
1966 Series IIA

Radius Arm Removal Problem

I pulled my axles for a full overhaul and when I was removing the front axle I absolutely could not get the driver side Radius arm off. The forward most bolt that secures the radius arm through the front bushing was completely seized in place. So, I left it on there for the time being... thinking that once I got the rotors, hubs, and swivel pin housing off, I'd have better access to address the problem.

Well, the axle housing is completely stripped down except for this radius arm... I cannot get this bolt out (the nut is off, the bolt just will not come out).

I tried penetrating oil and a torque wrench, eventually managed to get it to spin a little. I tried putting a wooden block over the end of the bolt and beating it out... woudn't budge. I put the nut on backwards and tried beating that directly with BFH... woudn't budge. I even tried spinning the bolt with the torque wrench while I beat on it ...nothing. So, I broke out the torch ..heat did nothing.

Then I started cutting out the bushing material to see what that might do and I found the real problem. It appears that the bolt has completely rusted/siezed itself to the metal inner part of the radius arm bushing. When I got the bolt to spin, it was because that metal collar was spinning inside the urethane part of the bushing.

I cannot see any way to get this apart without completely destroying either the radius arm and/or the bracket on the axle housing.

Anyone have any experience with this? ...or advice/assistance on how to solve the problem?

All help is greatly appreciated

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 11th, 2010, 03:09 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Cutting wheels that are large enough to get between the radius arm and the bracket-4.5 inch.
Be carefull not to cut into the bracket or the radius arm

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old September 11th, 2010, 03:23 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Hey Scott,

The same thing happened to me a while back.

Keep spraying penetrating oil, I soaked mine for a couple of days.

Heating the bolt will not work, because it will make the bolt expand and will not slide out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 11th, 2010, 03:32 PM
punter
Scott
1966 Series IIA

Thanks guys... I'll soak it for a few days and if that doesn't work, I'll put a new blade on the angle grinder.

cheers
Old September 11th, 2010, 03:35 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Just saw through either side of the bushing between the brackets on the axle and the radius arm. Make sure you only cut the bolt, it's easy with the axle off the truck. The bolt is toast anyway. Put plenty of copper anti-seize grease on the new one.( happened to me once)
Old September 11th, 2010, 05:22 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeslandrover View Post
Just saw through either side of the bushing between the brackets on the axle and the radius arm. Make sure you only cut the bolt, it's easy with the axle off the truck. The bolt is toast anyway. Put plenty of copper anti-seize grease on the new one.( happened to me once)
Miss-typed for bushing read bolt. Doh.
Old September 11th, 2010, 06:14 PM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

4 or 5 inch cutoff wheel was only way I could get mine out - friend did suggest air hammer, but rubber in the bushing absorbs energy.
Old September 11th, 2010, 08:41 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
If you have a hi-lift, then you have a good opportunity to test the clamping function of it to press the bolt out like a hydraulic press. I'll bet it would give to that.
Old September 11th, 2010, 08:55 PM
Retrofit
Pat
1984 110 CrewCab 200Tdi

I prefer the hack saw (Saw-z-all) approach vs the grinder, more control and less risk of damaging the arms and brackets, plus also it is slimmer than the cutting wheel.

My 0.02$

Pat

Kirk Lazarus, Tropic Thunder

color="Red">CanadaOverland.com
Old September 12th, 2010, 12:57 AM
surf110
Ze
130 Project

Torch it until you melt the bushing rubber. It will come right out.
Old September 12th, 2010, 02:49 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofit View Post
I prefer the hack saw (Saw-z-all) approach vs the grinder, more control and less risk of damaging the arms and brackets, plus also it is slimmer than the cutting wheel.

My 0.02$

Pat
Exactly

------ Follow up post added September 12th, 2010 07:50 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf110 View Post
Torch it until you melt the bushing rubber. It will come right out.
It's not the rubber that's the problem it's the inner most tube that's stuck to the bolt.

------ Follow up post added September 12th, 2010 07:52 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
If you have a hi-lift, then you have a good opportunity to test the clamping function of it to press the bolt out like a hydraulic press. I'll bet it would give to that.
or bend brackets
Old September 12th, 2010, 05:05 PM
punter
Scott
1966 Series IIA

I didn't have the patience to wait for the penetrating oil, to see if it'd work.

Ended up borrowing o Sawzall from a friend; cut the bolts and got the radius arm out; then ground down the remaining bushing with the angle grinder until it was thin enough I could knock it off the stud with a hammer and chisel.

Thanks for all the advice... it was greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions