Radius arm lengths and axle position - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 28th, 2015, 12:20 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Radius arm lengths and axle position

Are radius arms from a 1993 LWB RRC the same length as from a 1993 NAS 110?

I am 99.999% sure the answer is yes, but here is why I ask - this axle position seems too far forward to me.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3029.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	123815

Ignoring the funny looking spring which shouldn't be a factor here, does this axle position look right to you? I want to keep the truck at stock height or if anything lower, not higher.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 28th, 2015, 12:49 PM
Ash
Ash Heller
OM606 110 Frankenstein
D-90 Source Vendor

That does look off. What's the frame side look like? How far in have you drawn the nut on the radius arms?

-Ash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

352-572-3236

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old June 28th, 2015, 12:56 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
I should have mentioned I have the nut tightened all the way to the ends of the threads. And if it matters, the axle is from the 1993 LWB RRC too.

Name:	IMG_3030.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	123816

thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 28th, 2015, 01:08 PM
fishEH
Brett Fritzler
94, 95, 96 D1's

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
Ignoring the funny looking spring which shouldn't be a factor here, does this axle position look right to you? I want to keep the truck at stock height or if anything lower, not higher.
Actually the spring height will matter, and that spring/bag looks really short. The further the axle is pushed down(the taller the spring) the further the axle will swing to the back of the truck. Make sure the spring you're using for mock up is at least stock height or better.
Old June 28th, 2015, 01:17 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
What about your NAS?

I have the same problem with my truck. Same issue with the original arms, same issue but more pronounced with my RTE arms.

People have said it has to do with the change in wheelbase as the radius arms drop, but that reason doesn't hold water mathematically when I do the analysis.

My guess is that it's an idiosyncratic part of the rover design.
Old June 28th, 2015, 01:22 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
@Jeff I did look at the D90 and chose the position of the first picture based on the position of the arms and getting the spring pad level. This approximates what my D90 looks like sitting in the driveway. I have a 2" lift on the D90 so if anything this is high for the ride height I would think. I went and actually tok a reference measurement and found I was a 1/4" more compressed. I have addicted for that and here is what I have now

Name:	IMG_3031.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	123818

No appreciable difference. Yes as you lower it, it draws the axle toward the rear, but the spring pad angle changes as it goes down as well and it doesn't help matters at some point - see below

Name:	IMG_3023.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	123817

@Brett the springs can actually compress quite a bit more and extend a WHOLE LOT more than shown. I don't have any weight on the front end and the air springs require a minimum of 10psi to compress them to their minimum, so I can't readily do that right now, but one of the reasons I am worrying about this is that I do want to compress the suspension to it's minimum and determine my bump stop height requirements as well as see what the normal ride height will look like on the springs.

@Ed, it could be just poor build tolerances on the frame mounts of something but I dunno. My google foo is weak today and I can't find a nice side shot of an axle under a frame at stock ride height to compare to. Maybe with weight on the frame and air in the bags this difference will be a non issue, but I'd sure like to figure out if there i a problem sooner than later. For your problem, I think you need to buy some expensive shocks
Old June 28th, 2015, 02:56 PM
Wilboro
William Ficner
1997 110 csw

Registry
Is it too far forward or rotated slightly forward?
I just installed a TD5 front axle and suspension under my new 110 chassis and the lower spring locators are tilted down towards the front like yours in the last pictures. I'm assuming it will correct once the engine is in....

Old June 28th, 2015, 03:38 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
I feel like it's a bit of both, but if we accept that the first picture in post #7 is an accurate depiction of level ride height, the amount it's pushed forward seems to be a bigger issue than the slight forward tilt of the spring seat.
Old June 28th, 2015, 03:42 PM
Wilboro
William Ficner
1997 110 csw

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
I feel like it's a bit of both, but if we accept that the first picture in post #7 is an accurate depiction of level ride height, the amount it's pushed forward seems to be a bigger issue than the slight forward tilt of the spring seat.

Hmm looking back at the other pic I see what your saying.

Old June 28th, 2015, 08:57 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Any chance someone with a 110 could take some measurements for me? Both NAS or otherwise?

1. A measurement from the washer on the frame end of the radius arm to the center of the first axle bolt hole?
2. A measurement from the hole in the frame where the radius arm attaches to an imaginary vertical line that runs down the center of the spring perch

Thanks
Old June 28th, 2015, 09:23 PM
lordhelemt
Paul
1995 D90 #2620 & NAS 110

I can do it tomorrow after work.
RIP 1994 D90 #999 (engine fire 2002). We'll miss you.
Old June 28th, 2015, 10:41 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
1. A measurement from the washer on the frame end of the radius arm to the center of the first axle bolt hole?

28 3/8"

2. A measurement from the hole in the frame where the radius arm attaches to an imaginary vertical line that runs down the center of the spring perch

32 3/8"
Old June 29th, 2015, 09:48 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Thanks Jeff!

Ok this is interesting. Mine are the basically same

28 3/8"

Name:	IMG_3039.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	123932 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3038.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	123933

32"

Name:	IMG_3041.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	123934 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3040.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	123935

I'm thinking 3/8" is probably the margin of error in our measurements there for the center of the spring perch.

So that's not it. And I assume your axle lines up nicely?
Old June 29th, 2015, 10:42 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
For #2 I measured to the nut that holds the bottom of the shock and got 32" then added about half the thickness of the nut for a total of ~32 3/8.

As far as I can tell my axle looks pretty well situated. It would have been nice to find a discrepancy there so you could work towards a solution.
Old June 29th, 2015, 10:46 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
I wouldn't worry about any of this until you have it sitting fully laden. The spring will fold in on itself quite a lot.
Part of it is the spring plungers or pistons or whatever you want to call them are a bit different than the OE.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old July 1st, 2015, 10:52 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Roger. Thanks for the feedback.
Old July 28th, 2015, 04:31 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Revisiting this thread, it occurred to me that a bolt-on spring perch spacer could be fabricated to correct the angle and offset. It could be made very strong yet thin enough to not contribute to ride height nor look too out of place? It does go against the "stock look" philosophy, unfortunately. Just an idea...
Old July 28th, 2015, 09:54 AM
fishEH
Brett Fritzler
94, 95, 96 D1's

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
Revisiting this thread, it occurred to me that a bolt-on spring perch spacer could be fabricated to correct the angle and offset. It could be made very strong yet thin enough to not contribute to ride height nor look too out of place? It does go against the "stock look" philosophy, unfortunately. Just an idea...
That could work but would add lift to the front end. You'd have to raise the perch up over the axle mount, then you could move it back.
Old July 28th, 2015, 08:51 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Once I have some weight on it I'll consider my options, and this would certainly be in the cards. I think if just the bottom was angled a bit, and the top retained it would be fine too. I'm hoping it will sort itself out though

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
axle