Defender Source Forum banner

Radio thoughts

Tags
ht radio
2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Squaretyre 
#1 ·
Have original in RRC but would really like Bluetooth and xm. Anyone have any luck replacing with newer RR models. Like to keep somewhat true to form and definitely not after the new multi colored disco ball lighted ones.

#3 ·
If it has a functioning CD player you can look here...
iPod / MP3 player integration in a D1 - Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

and here...
ipodadapter

once you get a hold of the audio lines you can go in a few different directions depending on what you like, where you want to put the XM box, and where you are going to tap power. A Bluetooth dongle is a cheap and easy way to accomplish what you want, but will likely require power.

In almost all cases I charge my phone while driving, so in my setup I simply plug in my phone to a powered charging cable which originates in the center cubby, and that same cable also carries audio into the system.

I find Bluetooth to be cumbersome at times.

#12 ·
if you're looking to keep it stock I've got a cd changer replacement that adds an aux in. on a RRC its a big tricky since you'll need to run a cable all the way from the back to the passenger area. Its setup for both the round 13 pin that 94 and older used and also the rectangular plug that 95 rrc and 94-99 disco uses.

I haven't done a bluetooth version yet, but the wired version does do player controls through the head unit my emulating those mic/headphones that ship with modern phones and basically plays a script with the button combo for skip, rewind, play/pause. It's also got a microphone jack that can be used for voice calls and audio commands (emulates holding the center button down)

The website is a mess and between work and keeping a fleet of rovers on the road I haven't had time to update it so if you're interested PM me

#13 ·
Thanks

Appreciate all the leads, succombed to the aftermarket Jensen. Currently having fits w electronics, old plastic body panels and time were final blows. It doesn't glow the cab at night, screen retracts but Bluetooth and sound carries on, fulfill all the ticks other than looks. Careful to save original and write code on body for whatever forward hoarding reasons.

Thanks again for all the imput.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.