Radio/Speaker Suggestions? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 5th, 2007, 10:27 PM
popeohana
Jeremy
94 Arles ST

Registry
Radio/Speaker Suggestions?

Factory radio is on its way out, and one of my front speakers is blown. Looking for a straight replacement for radio and speakers. My only requirements are iPod compatibility and enough volume for driving with the top off? Can I get the volume I need without an amp? The factory system is only good up to about 40mph with the top off.

I searched this topic and found a couple of previous threads, mostly related to high-end stuff. Considering that I leave the top off for months on end and frequently park in public, I cannot see putting high quality audio components in my Defender. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 6th, 2007, 12:58 AM
97Ariesblu
kyle scheppler
1997/D-90 Station Wagon

just get some good alpine's and then cover them up with the stock covers to keep the stock look and no one will know the difference...as for amp yes definitly need an amp if you wana hear anything on the freeway..
maybe you could just get some good 6 x 9's you could definitly hear those..
actually just go to an audio place that sells the "high end" equipment and say what can i do?? i dont want subs .. i want to be able to hear the music clearly... they will set you up..you dont have to get subs for good quality ppl just like em for the knock .. tweeters and speakers are different and they just make the sound quality what it is...
-ky
Old July 6th, 2007, 08:35 AM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

My Blaupunkt just went out and I replaced it with a Sony unit that was quite reasonably priced and sounds better than the old Blaupunkt. It has full Ipod control (apple plugin), plus auxiliary input like from headphone jack and USB, all the proper amp connections and a remote. Single CD player and tuner. Whole kit and kaboodle was like $160. Cheap!

I run the front speakers and the rear mid range & tweeters off the head unit and have an amp for the bass.

It sounds great!
Advertisement

Old July 6th, 2007, 09:43 AM
Dreamline
Nate Keisling
94 D90 ST

System

I just replaced my stock system with an Alpine head unit (the new one that has the ipod interface, satellite radio, and no cd player), 4 of the Rockford Fosgate 6.5" speakers and an Alpine amp that fits nicely under the passenger seat. You will absolutely need the Amp, however, I didn't need to add a Sub anywhere, the Amp is more than sufficient even on the highway with the top off, the sound is still very clear. As for the security there isn't much I can say about that, I just detach the face and hope for the best every time I park in public without the top, not much more I can do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by popeohana
Factory radio is on its way out, and one of my front speakers is blown. Looking for a straight replacement for radio and speakers. My only requirements are iPod compatibility and enough volume for driving with the top off? Can I get the volume I need without an amp? The factory system is only good up to about 40mph with the top off.

I searched this topic and found a couple of previous threads, mostly related to high-end stuff. Considering that I leave the top off for months on end and frequently park in public, I cannot see putting high quality audio components in my Defender. Thanks.
Old July 6th, 2007, 09:49 AM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Ariesblu
as for amp yes definitly need an amp if you wana hear anything on the freeway..
While I agree with most everything else you wrote, I totally disagree with this! If you _need_ an amp today, then I would say: get your hearing check asap. Furthermore, that also means that your hearing is going to get worst with that amp.
You definitely do not _need_ and amp on the freeway or not (high or low speed). Just get a high end unit that outputs a clear sounds at 3/4 of the max volume and excellent speakers the sound will be great. You will hear it on the freeway and that will be already way too much if you still want to be able to hear fairly well when you're 60-70 years old.
Again, if you _need_ an amp, you have or will have hearing problems (and I am not even considering the safety issue of you not being able to hear someone's honking signaling a problem ahead/on the side/....).
I am a big believer that people that are 35- today will have huge hearing problems in 25-30 years (or maybe earlier for some....).
Don't save money on the speakers....
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Old July 6th, 2007, 12:45 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonLand
While I agree with most everything else you wrote, I totally disagree with this! If you _need_ an amp today, then I would say: get your hearing check asap. Furthermore, that also means that your hearing is going to get worst with that amp.
You definitely do not _need_ and amp on the freeway or not (high or low speed). Just get a high end unit that outputs a clear sounds at 3/4 of the max volume and excellent speakers the sound will be great. You will hear it on the freeway and that will be already way too much if you still want to be able to hear fairly well when you're 60-70 years old.
Again, if you _need_ an amp, you have or will have hearing problems (and I am not even considering the safety issue of you not being able to hear someone's honking signaling a problem ahead/on the side/....).
I am a big believer that people that are 35- today will have huge hearing problems in 25-30 years (or maybe earlier for some....).
I completely disagreed with you! Implying that your hearing will get worse from using an amp is assenine. Are you some audiophile Otologist?

Adding an amp doesn't automatically mean that you have to crank the tunes to the point of it being deafening in your truck. Your statement assumes a person with an amp is moron and doesn't have a clue inregards to listen to music.

Most after-market radios (including high-end) can only pump out a MAX of 18 watts RMS. 18w of power will under power after-market speakers. If you want to be able to enjoy music with your top down, without having to turn the volume dial all the way, thus distorting the tunes, getting an amp is a must!

As already been stated, there are ways to make your truck appear stock. You can also have a perimeter alarm installed, if someone even sticks their hand inside the invisible zone of your truck, the alarm goes off.

Cheers!
Old July 6th, 2007, 01:03 PM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by themaxx
I completely disagreed with you!
+ 1

There are no head unit integrated amps (that I am aware of) that can provide enough clean power to high quality speakers to produce clean crisp sounds even at moderate levels, particularly with challenging music numbers. And I am cognizant of my hearing and damage to it. My wife makes fun of me for wearing ear plugs at concerts, but I completely disagree with your comments..

If you are that concerned about your hearing, you probably shouldn't even be driving around in a convertible at highway speeds..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 6th, 2007, 01:36 PM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

I agree with the two comments above about sound quality and loudness not being related. Extra watts make for cleaner music at low volume.

My father was a doctor, (now deceased) he was concerned about my hearing and had it tested several times through my childhood. It was OK I just don't listen very well.

He was adamant about me not causing damage to my hearing. He said that listening to loud music through loudspeakers at high volume can cause temporary hearing loss like when you go to a concert. He said that listening to loud music through headphones could cause permanent hearing damage. If I wanted to listen to music, turn up the stereo as loud as I wanted but not the earphones.

It is not the volume that does the damage but the intensity of the sound waves pointed at your eardrums. I offer to you the idea that your friendly little Ipod will do much more damage to your eardrums than a Fosgate will.
Old July 6th, 2007, 01:41 PM
Dreamline
Nate Keisling
94 D90 ST

Sound System

Ditto on those points above!

I installed my amp for clarity reasons, not so I could be heard bounding down the highway at a far away distance. I rarely need to even go past halfway on my volume to hear my system clearly even with the top off.

If you don't want to have to push your speakers/system to excess levels and don't want to deal with any distortion spend the little extra for the amp and decent speakers, if you are a music fan it will be well worth it.

-Nate
Old July 6th, 2007, 01:44 PM
D901619
oscar

has anyone tried using marine speakers?? (I have a soft top)
Old July 6th, 2007, 02:06 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by landrovered
Extra watts make for cleaner music at low volume.
We agree on that point: get a high end unit (i.e. a radio that integrates an amp of class A, not a class B or C). On low quality amps (like the one found in cheaper radios; typically class C amps), the sounds becomes very distorded once you reached 30-40% of the total possible output power of the amp.

I thought you guys meant that you needed high amps because otherwise you would not hear it (vs. hear it clearly).

So I guess we are saying the same thing:
- get a high end radio
- or get a regular radio and a nice amp

I'll go with the first option to avoid additional wiring.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Most after-market radios (including high-end) can only pump out a MAX of 18 watts RMS.
Then this is where I am wrong, I was under the impression that those units existed.....
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
Old July 6th, 2007, 02:06 PM
popeohana
Jeremy
94 Arles ST

Registry
Thanks for the info guys. It was not my intent to open a debate on radio volume and hearing damage, just wanted to find out what has worked for others.

As for hearing, I get checked annually as part of my employment physical and have never had a problem. I think part of the issue for me not being able to hear music well at highway speeds with the top off is that I am currently using an FM transmitter with my iPod. Even on the clearest frequency the signal is much weaker than a normal radio station. But, it is still better than listening to all the garbage on the radio.
Old July 6th, 2007, 02:08 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro

Registry
Quote:
Are you some audiophile Otologist?
No medical qualification whatsoever. But I used to build very nice amps a few years ago for a hobby (looking back with what you typically find at Best Buy nowdays, those would be very high end classic amps).

And I can tell you that high pitch sound bother me while my wife can not hear them. I assumed that her loss of hearing (while this is far from deaf) is due to her listening to (too) loud music in her car (I can get in when the radio is on) or other portable devices.
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
Old July 6th, 2007, 03:29 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by D901619
has anyone tried using marine speakers?? (I have a soft top)
Yes! I have JL Audio marine speakers and amp in my softtop. Awesome!

I chose JL Audio speakers because:
1.) They make quality high-end equipment
2.) The particular speakers I chose are in it's own enclosure, not requiring any specific depth. This is good since the door panels are the exact opposite of a good enclosure.

http://marine.jlaudio.com/jlaudio_pages.php?page_id=30

I had this initial crazy idea to attach speakers to the top of the roll cage. Similar to how some boats are setup:

http://www.boatupholstery.com.au/gra...s/01speakl.jpg

http://www.boatupholstery.com.au/gra...y/page1/1i.jpg

I know, I know, crazy and I'm glad I didn't.
Old July 6th, 2007, 03:49 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Bling!
Old July 6th, 2007, 03:50 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Quote:
No medical qualification whatsoever. But I used to build very nice amps a few years ago for a hobby (looking back with what you typically find at Best Buy nowdays, those would be very high end classic amps).
Tube amps?

Quote:
And I can tell you that high pitch sound bother me while my wife can not hear them. I assumed that her loss of hearing (while this is far from deaf) is due to her listening to (too) loud music in her car (I can get in when the radio is on) or other portable devices.
I can tell from this and your initial post, that this is a sensitve topic for you. My initial rant was due to hearing the same thing from my dad (doctor as well) all the time. As Scott stated, hearing loss generally happens due to continous direct abuse to the ears. Hearing loss can also be a hereditary condition called Presbycusis. 1 out 3 people over the age of 60 suffer from hearing loss in general.

Besides, it makes for a great excuse to the wife when you buy another Defender. "Huh? I thought you 'Okay' not 'noway'!"
Old July 6th, 2007, 05:50 PM
97Ariesblu
kyle scheppler
1997/D-90 Station Wagon

Quote:
making a clarity point not a volume point...but i do agree with the fact that if you listen to music too loud your hearing will progressively get worse but i meant loud enough to hear with good quality no scratching etc, and yes you need an amp without a top if you wana hear some good quality stuff no doubt about it...theres a difference between good quality and loud volume...
peace
-ky
Old July 6th, 2007, 06:36 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

Once getting on the interstate, I usually can't hear what's said from the front passenger seat, much less the radio. Above 70 its all just noise. LR should have offered as an option a headset similar to what pilots use.
Old July 6th, 2007, 06:37 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

I put amps in everything I own. It's just not a proper system without power! Heck even my factory DII has a biult in Harmon Kardon Amp underneath the seat. I like watching movies in it. Basic set up in my D is a custom cubby/subbox with an 8 inch JL sub. I have Alpine components front and rear, 2 Alpine amps with capacitors and an Alpine head unit with xm radio. Good stuff for cruising through the Hollywood Cemetary on movie night.

Robert Deniro
Old July 6th, 2007, 06:43 PM
Chaucer
Will
93 110 | 97 90

I used to be a "why do you need an amp" kind of guy until I installed my own system. I first tired it w/o the amp just to see what it was like. I had to crank it way up to hear anything. Then I installed the amp and it was a night-and-day difference. I don't want to hear it loud either, just full and clear even at low volumes.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
radio