Radio issues - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 23rd, 2012, 07:01 PM
Defender_90
Kevin Doonan
1999 RR HSE

Radio issues

Hello all,

I am currently having issues with the radio in my truck. When I purchased the truck there was already an after market radio installed. I ended up upgrading to a Sony Xplod unit that I installed myself. The unit worked perfect and never had any issues.

About two months ago I was driving to a friends house when the unit went dead. The unit would not turn on and I couldn't get anything. So logically I check the unit's fuse, check the fuses under the dash to see if any of the AUX or radio fuses had blown too. Non of these fuses were dead either.

So I than bought an voltage meeter and checked the power for both the truck on and the just having the key turned over. I was getting voltage of 15 v, on both which is recommend. It did sway up and down from about 12 to 15, but this seemed fine according to friends I have spoken with.

I ended up sending the unit back to Sony and they replaced the head unit with a new/refurbished unit. I just tried the unit and it did not work. I again tested the voltage and got the same results.

Does anyone have any insight into why I am still not able to get the head unit to turn on? Are there more fuses that I need to check that would prevent the unit from turning on?

Keep in mind that I used the ground connection to the head unit that I to test for voltage. I am going mad listening to the engine day in day out.

Any help is much appreciate.

Thanks,

Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 23rd, 2012, 07:28 PM
Raz
Leif
1994 90 ST #1589

Registry
Is it hooked up to an amp that may be to blame?

Never mind, I just saw that you are getting no lights or anything from the head unit.
Old August 23rd, 2012, 09:23 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

Most of the radios swill have both switched power and constant battery power along with the ground and speaker connections. Have you tested to make sure you have both the switched and constant power?
Advertisement

Old August 24th, 2012, 03:36 AM
Defender_90
Kevin Doonan
1999 RR HSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC22958 View Post
Most of the radios swill have both switched power and constant battery power along with the ground and speaker connections. Have you tested to make sure you have both the switched and constant power?
I have checked for both, thus i am perplexed........

should i try a new wiring harness?
Old August 24th, 2012, 06:29 AM
geoellis
George
1995 D90 #2904 - BB

Have you tried a different radio? Long shot, but no guaranty that Sony is actually fixed.
Old August 24th, 2012, 08:13 AM
Lemonhead
TB
1997 D90 SW

Harness? Are you plugging into factory wiring or has this been rewired?

Check the wires post the harness (close to radio). BTW, I use a test light, way easier - if it lights up, you have power.

Maybe another bad unit as suggested or maybe a bad harness.
Old August 24th, 2012, 08:55 AM
exmod110
Don Lang

just because you used a volt meter does not mean that the circuit can carry 12v @ 10+ amps.
a volt meter does not put a load on the circuit to check its integrity, a green or loose connection will give you 12v on the meter but not carry enough current to power anything. do a quick check with a test light ( or rig up a head light as a test light, they require more current then a test light.) on the 2 power wires to the unit, the light should be bright on the 2 power wires and try to use the ground wire to the radio for testing too. this will give you a better idea if sufficient power and ground are avail.

Does the radio work if you hot wire it to a battery? New or reconditioned does not mean that it act works... Parts can be bad out of the box too.
Old August 24th, 2012, 11:40 AM
Defender_90
Kevin Doonan
1999 RR HSE

Thanks everyone, I am going to take all of your advice. I will use a test light to make sure the power is flowing at least with 12v 10amps. I will also try hot wiring the radio to check that it works too. Hopefully I can get this resolved without having to take it in to a shop and let them handle this.

btw, the trucks radio was rewired and a done by what appears to be diy. but not positive.

Thanks again and I will let you all know what I end up finding out tonight.

Kevin
Old August 25th, 2012, 06:12 PM
Lemonhead
TB
1997 D90 SW

Be careful with PO DIY jobs - we are probably mostly DIY'ers on this board but at different levels. There are things I'm comfortable with and then there's the stuff I won't even consider.

A PO DIY'd a couple wires directly to my battery without a fuse near the battery, one snaked through a non-grommeted hole in the body and into the center console.

A couple weeks ago (I've had the truck a few months) I hit a speed bump and the wire in question shorted out and set to fire the rags and house insulation under my seat. Obviously not good and fortunately didn't effect any of the stock wiring. I rewired the entire battery box and every aftermarket wire in the truck so everything is good now.

Point being - don't take anything for granted (that it was done correctly). I never looked under my seat because I though all was good.

Good luck with your problem.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
radio