Radio install/wiring help needed. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 5th, 2007, 05:20 PM
Firefighter2904
jason
97 d-90

Exclamation Radio install/wiring help needed.

Hi Guys

I just spent tle last 5 hours reading old posts and searching the web for help. I think I am even more confused then when I started.

Here is my current situation. The PO had someone install a new alpine stereo. When he did, he cut the factory wiring all up, left one wire attached to the plug and left that mess there. The installer also ran new wires up the cubby out the bulkhead into the engine bay, from there to the doors. What he then did was cut/splice wires at factory wiring.

Also for some reason the factory amp is unplugged, I dont know why and I dont want to plug it in!

Here are my questions.

1. Any idea why installer would have cut out factory speaker wiring to front speakers, yet spliced in at the fire wall area. there are some wires not even attached.

2. any idea why amp is not plugged in? and is it a big deal to use this amp with after market radio ?

3. dosnt factory amp need to be plugged in to make ecu work or rewired/bypassed???

4. Can I just get the harness that goes from the factory radio plug back to where it goes into the ecu/amp area? id like to replace it so it looks factory and I can use a adaptor from cruthfield from my radio to factory plug.

5. I know I also read about grounding the radio and amp and ecu or ecu wont read. i am totally confused by this.

6. Should I just cut out all of the new speaker wire/ splice to factory wiring for front speakers and re do it with new stuff? or maybe get factory harness that goes to speakers? I just want it safe and clean looking.

7. any other major radio pitfalls i should look out for or previous install pitfalls, because the previous install burned some other wires up due to shitty splicing.

I am not a mechanic nor do I play one on TV, so I need idiot terms and instructions.

Thanx guys

Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 5th, 2007, 05:30 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Jason, I'm not sure how useful this will be, but on my old '93 lwb, I ran into a lot of problems trying to put a new headunit in. It turns out that the factory setup used some wierd grounding methodology whereby there was a universal ground for all of the speakers (or something like that). In any case, the easiest solution in the long term was to run new wires for everything and bypass the original amp. If I had to do it all over again, I'd just rip out the old stuff and start over -- you might consider doing the same. At least then you'll know it was done right and stereos aren't really that hard to wire up.
Old August 5th, 2007, 05:36 PM
Firefighter2904
jason
97 d-90

im all for ripping stuff out and replacing it. I just dont want any of the complications I read about. my damn head is spinning.

Espically with the ecu amp issue. I dont really understand it, thats my main confusion. and the fact I just want plug and play with factory harness.

Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 7th, 2007, 08:39 PM
needsaD110
Ben
97 D90 #1345

My 92' Classic had a bad factory head unit,blown sub,punctured speakers,etc...
So what I did was use the power wires and dimmer wires from the factory harness and spliced them into my JVC head unit. From there I knew that i couldn't use the factory AMP, so i stripped all the stuff out of it and put a 400watt 4channel amp were the fact. amp was.
I then ran the front speaker output of the amp to the front doors speakers and ran the new cable into the doors and hooked them up. I replaced every speaker in the car with POLK AUDIO DB-series while I was doing this. While i had everything out I spliced into the JVC rear speaker output and ran them to the back headliner speakers. Why I didn't run the rear speakers off the amp is I added a JL audio w1 12' and used the rear speaker outputs for that. This sounds great in the classic even with a straight pipe, If I was you I'd just re-do everything. It also only took me a day to do all this

My d90 has a JL audio amp in the passenger seat box, I can get a pic if you want
Old August 8th, 2007, 02:18 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Rip it out and start fresh. No telling what other kinds of hokey half-ass crap was done by that installer. You don't want a short or wiring problem biting you in the ass later on; might as well tear it out and do it right.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
Old August 8th, 2007, 09:39 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

Your factory amp will not put out the watts as a good aftermarket head unit and the splices may have been because of not having a good source for a wiring harness adapter at the time. Does the radio really affect the ecu? It would be new one for me. My Caddy would have onstar issues. It should be a basic rewire job that would take a few hours to do from fresh with limited stereo experience. All speakers to head unit will use the common ground from the head unit. All amplified speakers will use the common ground wherever the amp ground is connected. A real good friend is a pro and I could pass you his number if you have difficulties. He will talk you through it. Good luck.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
radio, wiring