Radio help - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old February 21st, 2009, 09:39 PM
Beluga '97 90
Radio help

I've got the stock Clarion in my 97. One day after replacing the battery the radio started to act weird. I tried to enter the security code and nothing happened. I just get the "----" line and the radio won't come on. I get back to the "code in" screen and try again. Same thing. Then I start pushing buttons to see if I can get it to come on. I found out that if I hold the "band" button down while turning the radio on, that it will come on. Not sure if this is some sort of bypass to the code but it works.

So with the radio on now, I hear a constant beeping in the background and then after about 10-15 mins the radio just cuts out and the "----" shows back up on the display.

My thought is that this radio is 12 years old and has just run out of life. But, I recently bought a replacement clarion from another member here and when I plugged the replacement in today it had a similar set of symptoms. Basically while it was on I hear beeping and then after a bit of time it cuts out. The seller and I couldn't get the code for the radio yet but again I was somehow able to hold down the "band" button while turning the radio on to get it to work.

So, anyone experience this before? Any thoughts on what's happening?

The truck sits a lot and I'm constantly having to buy new batteries but the truck only has 42K miles on it and doesn't see anything but paved streets. Could the wiring just have gone bad?

Thanks for any help!

Originally Posted by rijosho
-I need to figure out a cooler-looking way of getting into the driver's seat

Beluga 97 D-90
Chawton 04 DII SE
Tangiers 04 DII G4

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions