Radiator re-core in process - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 1st, 2013, 09:21 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Radiator re-core in process

Man, what a crappy week--- not just the rover, just one of those weeks. While I am checking and fixing some wiring on the rover waiting on parts, I decided to pull the radiator 'cause it had a small leak. Turns out I overpressurized my radiator at some point (they say my cap must have failed to relieve excess pressure to get pressure that high) and "bloated" the inlet side of the core. It's at the shop now getting an estimate. I had it recored previously many years ago at a shop no longer in existence and it was checked within the last 9 months with a clean bill of health.

Any advice on a recore? I have/had a 4-core in there from my last redo for more cooling, and I was going to ask for the same thing, but should I be asking for something in particular? I don't know crap about radiator technology. Any guesses on how much to expect? Thinking $400-600?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 1st, 2013, 09:50 PM
UnfrozenCaveman
Keith Armstrong
Various

PM sent.
Old May 2nd, 2013, 03:22 AM
Zooraya
Bani
1995 NAS D90

My radiator is at the shop getting recored at this very moment as well. I'm also getting a 4 core and although i was originally given an estimate of $340 I got a call back today stating that it's actually going to be $400. That's still about $300 less than the best price I could find for a new one.

Here is my understanding from my research before choosing to go this route. I discovered many people pointing out that aftermarket radiators aren't as "heavy duty" as factory recored ones. And when they talk about heavy duty they're really just talking about the material used on the radiator tanks (stainless vs aluminum). The core is almost always aluminum. Aluminum is lighter though, if that matters to you.

I did, however, ask to widen the core to the better fill the width of the radiator tanks/caps which is about 2-5/8" vs about 2". The idea is you're circulating more fluid, and more surface area for the fins to distribute the heat and thus provide better cooling.

Aside from that, there isn't much else to worry about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 2nd, 2013, 12:03 PM
61rover
John Crouse
'93 NAS D110 (#8) / '61 Series II

Registry
Check with Jeffco Radiator (Used to be Arvada Radiator). It's on Sheridan around 56th. They've done my Series radiator and heater core. I've been pretty pleased.
Old May 2nd, 2013, 01:06 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Sereck in Denver just quoted me $575 for a 4-core... seems friggin pricey to me. Thanks for the heads up on Arvada Radiator...
Old May 2nd, 2013, 02:05 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Genuine is 630 at rn. Personally I would never recore again. The price is too close to getting a new genuine one.

I went the four core route and had issues. I put a new genuine three core in and it has never run cooler.
Old May 2nd, 2013, 04:05 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Im gonna fuck myself but mine seems to be happy with a "Genuine" radiator from Willy T.
Old May 2nd, 2013, 11:29 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I went to a 4 core due to the 4.6 engine and off roading in the mountains of CO and Moab. The genuine wouldn't keep up on long up hills up here. I worry that a new genuine just wouldn't have the capacity for cooling. Maybe I'm mistaken on 4-core vs 3 core effectiveness, but it seemed to help a lot and the old 3 core was clean. But hey-- I fully admit to not knowing the ins/outs of radiators...
Old May 3rd, 2013, 12:25 AM
Zooraya
Bani
1995 NAS D90

I'll keep my fingers crossed. Hopefully the 4core will work well for me.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
radiator