Radiator Question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 8th, 2009, 10:52 PM
97-D90-736
Nick Vogel
1997 D-90 / 2012 LR4

Radiator Question

Bare with me here:

Replaced the oil cooler lines and the long power steering line lask week. Getting everything buttoned up and a screw driver slipped and nicked a fin on the radiator. Insert your favorite 4 letter word here. Had a reputable radiator shop in town patch it up new as well as a complete cleaning and fresh coat of paint. Put the radiator in and notice a very very slow drip. Cant see if coming from anywhere; fins, intake outlet, seems, etc. Drove it around and it stopped for 18 hours with nothing. Roughly hour 24 I am getting a really really slow drip (maybe 4 drops in 5 hours.

1) Thoughts? Leave it alone, run it a couple of heat cycles and see?
2) Dare I try some radiator stop leak? Never used it before I little concerned that it might stop the slow leak at the risk of obstructing a water jacket?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 8th, 2009, 11:25 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I would not try stop leak. Where is it leaking? It could just be an improperly fitted hose (somtimes junk/corrosion in the hose or on the aluminium mounting prevents it from sealing properly or it is improperly tightened) or perhaps a leak from the weap hole on the water pump.

Find the leak first and then figure it out from there.
Old June 8th, 2009, 11:38 PM
97-D90-736
Nick Vogel
1997 D-90 / 2012 LR4

The leak is coming from the bottom of the fins towards closer to the lower hole. I know its not leaking from the weap hole in the water pump nor the hose. When I say a drip it litterally the same as condensation of a glass of ice water in the summer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 8th, 2009, 11:41 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I think you are stuck taking it back to the rad shop or trying to boge a repair with some expoxy on the outside of the leak spot.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
radiator