Radiator protection armor - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 21st, 2006, 10:13 AM
Cyborg
Larry Walton
'97 D-90 ST #2066 UK 4X4

Radiator protection armor

Hey guys, I have a '97 ST and I am wanting to install some serious protection in the front of my radiator. I have the ARB winch bumper so that is a solid good start. But I am concerned about a stick poking through the grill damaging the radiators.

So I am considering installing a metal grid under the plastic louvered grill that is stock. I have some metal that I think will work well. I have a sheet of that steel that has essentially diamond shapes cut out of it. It is a really tough screen. I am wondering if anyone has done something similar and if there have been any overheating problems?

This will reduce airflow of course to some degree but I am hoping not too much. Any hidden dangers in this mod I should consider??
Advertisement

Old October 21st, 2006, 12:26 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Earlier this year a group of Rovers ran Hole in the Rock in Utah. It was pretty warm, highs in the mid 90's I think. We had Disco's, Rangies, and Defenders. All of the Defenders were running pretty hot, not boilover but for sure on the extreme high end of safe. The Disco's and Rangie were Ok even with AC running part of the time.

I would be afraid if I restricted airflow across my radiator with a protective grill small enough to stop sticks etc., it might do more harm than good.
Old October 21st, 2006, 12:42 PM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
You might want to consider attaching HD galvanized screening instead. They come in different weights. I would think that shoud suffice, combined with the original grille.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 22nd, 2006, 07:28 AM
Cyborg
Larry Walton
'97 D-90 ST #2066 UK 4X4

THX guys for the replies... i will have to re think this...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
radiator