radiator oil cooler threads - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 8th, 2010, 08:40 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

radiator oil cooler threads

I have fixed oil cooler line attachment threads at my radiator. I know they are odd-ball and I have read every thread I could find on cooler lines but still can't tell what the thread is for these. I know ECR sells adapters but does anyone know what the threads are? Tx.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 9th, 2010, 11:26 AM
Rocketman
Scott Y
95 D90 SW, 2003 Disco II, 93 D110

Try 1/2 inch BSP.
Old May 11th, 2010, 09:15 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Thanks, I will. I thought it was more odd-ball than that for some reason...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 11th, 2010, 10:40 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

It's not the threading that's odd, it's the sealing method with the tube and o-ring that makes it tricky.
Not sure where other than ECR to get something of that style.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old May 12th, 2010, 06:47 PM
Rocketman
Scott Y

I used 1/2inch BSP Female to AN fittings on my 95 D-90 SW (original radiator). This had o-ring inner seals and used Loctite 510 as a thread sealant, .Did this over a year ago with no issues (knock on wood). On my 93 D-110, which had its radiator replaced by the previous owner, it appears that I need to go to the same setup. I tried the ECR connector route, with the connectors for the fixed fittings, but they were too small for the connectors on the replacement radiator.

I just ordered another set of 1/2 inch BSP to AN from Peagasus Racing. I'll be installing this weekend.

FWIW, the inner o-ring seal may be over kill. Recall that these fittings see a max of about 80 psi, which is roughly the pressure in domestic home water supplies.
Old May 12th, 2010, 07:52 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
I tried the ECR connector route, with the connectors for the fixed fittings, but they were too small for the connectors on the replacement radiator.

FWIW, the inner o-ring seal may be over kill. Recall that these fittings see a max of about 80 psi, which is roughly the pressure in domestic home water supplies.

???
If our fixed fitting adapters didn't fit, that means that factory oil cooler lines would not fit either (as our fittings exactly match the factory set up), so that must have been one weird radiator, and you wouldn't have been able to fit the factory lines on that radiator either. That must have been one hell of a mess.

In developing the fixed fitting adapters we never found anything that lasted long term, and the O ring is certainly required to stop potential leaks. We tried lots of ways to get around it. I didn't want to have to make custom pieces, but it was the only way for a quality seal and a trouble free set up.... short of trying to cram stuff up with goop.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old May 12th, 2010, 10:06 PM
Rocketman
Scott Y

Hey its the Brits, what can I say, after all they drink warm beer, probably because of the refrigerant fittings in their coolers are non standard.

I'll send you the measurements when I get back from the East Coast tomorrow. I measured the external threads of the radiator fittings and the internal threads of oil lines I removed. Measurements check pretty darn close to standard BSP (parallel threads rather than tapered). The only explanation I could come up with -- at some point the oil lines were changed in addition to the new radiator in Nov 09. I figured the oil lines were original because they looked a bit raunchy, but maybe not??? It is one of those mysteries that I will not loose sleep over. Afterall, I don't think the 3.9 needs an oil cooler. In my D90 I checked cooler inlet temps and outlet temps after a drive in the AZ desert last May -- temp difference was 10-15 degrees. Hardly enough for the added operational risk of fittings, hoses, etc., that can break!
Old May 12th, 2010, 10:49 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Glad you won't loose sleep over it, but what you are saying is that the ECR adapters did not fit a Rover V8 radiator and I find that very hard to believe. I've never seen that happen and I have installed dozens and dozens of them and shipped out even more to DIY customers with no complaints.
I don't need the measurements. I've got them.

I'll pull your invoice in the morning and see what was going on. Did you return the parts? When did you purchase them?
I sure hope this doesn't come down to one of those things where I look in our customer data-base and find you have never ordered anything.

Brit bashing doesn't fly with me. Half my family is in the UK.

Old May 13th, 2010, 08:21 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Scott,
Checked your file.
If the adapters didn't work, why not send them back?
Happy to give full credit if they did not fit your oddball radiator.

Old May 13th, 2010, 10:09 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Thanks for all the info folks--I was wondering why there was so much confusion surrounding the fittings and now I understand-- I appreciate it.
Old May 16th, 2010, 02:00 PM
Rocketman
Scott Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR View Post
Scott,
Checked your file.
If the adapters didn't work, why not send them back?
Happy to give full credit if they did not fit your oddball radiator.
Mike,

Thanks for the offer. I just got a chance to hit the garage. I went to replace my oil lines last Sunday and then went out of town. Also, since I saved the old lines from the 95 D-90 SW, I did some checking and comparing. The 93 110 lines and the 95 90 lines both had the same size connecting "nut"; by checking the inside diameter with calibers. This is where the similarity ended. While the D90 lines had the o-ring internal interface, the D110 lines had a tapered end with no o-ring. Looks like the nut on the fitting holds the tapered internal fitting to provide the fluid seal.

Thanks. I'll ship the other fittings back, if I can find the paper work. No sense in letting all of that machining go to waste. They adapters you make are really nicely machined.

Scott
Old May 16th, 2010, 07:56 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
Mike,

Thanks for the offer. I just got a chance to hit the garage. I went to replace my oil lines last Sunday and then went out of town. Also, since I saved the old lines from the 95 D-90 SW, I did some checking and comparing. The 93 110 lines and the 95 90 lines both had the same size connecting "nut"; by checking the inside diameter with calibers. This is where the similarity ended. While the D90 lines had the o-ring internal interface, the D110 lines had a tapered end with no o-ring. Looks like the nut on the fitting holds the tapered internal fitting to provide the fluid seal.

Thanks. I'll ship the other fittings back, if I can find the paper work. No sense in letting all of that machining go to waste. They adapters you make are really nicely machined.

Scott
Your 93 had the removable fittings while your 95 had the fixed fittings.
93 needs no adapters. 95 does need our adapters.

You can see the differences on our web site in the oil cooler section.

In the 93 you remove the factory adapter from the radiator and just install threaded fittings.

In the 95 you add adapters (like ours) and then add your 8AN fittings.

Its explained on the site. The adapters are not wrong, you just didn't need them for your application.
Happy to take them back, no paperwork needed. Return them with a quick note and Holly will credit you.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
radiator