Radiator fins---- major corrosion - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 8th, 2006, 01:36 PM
bd90
Brian
94 Arles Blue #1644

Radiator fins---- major corrosion

94 78,000 miles. Have had coolant circulation issues. A LR mechanic suggested it might be a clogged radiator. Took radiator out and rinsed the fins off cause they looked to be plugged. The water spray knocked the fins off. Major corrosion going on here. This 90 spent most of its life in the NEast..... maybe NY. Could road salt cause this corrosion? And if the fins are gone is that a good sign of corrosion/pluggage on inside? Can a good radiator shop fix this or is it time for a new radiator. Suggestions on where to buy? I'm going to rad shop today but just wanted to get another opinion. Thanks, Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 8th, 2006, 02:54 PM
outfield
Steve
1995 D-90 SW #351

Registry
Hi Brian,

I just bought an east coast '95 D-90 with 137000 miles on it and the radiator was in the same condition. The fins in the original radiator turned to dust when you touched them, plus a lot of white gunk poored out when I drained it.I replaced the radiator my self and in 100 degree heat it stays cool.

Flush the engine, replace the radiator, thermostat and any hoses that look suspect and you'll be back on the road.
Old August 9th, 2006, 11:27 AM
bd90
Brian
94 Arles Blue #1644

Yeah thanks. I decided to have the rad shop recore the radiator. Should be as good as new and it's half the cost of a new radiator.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
radiator