Radiator Fan Disintegrated - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 8th, 2012, 03:09 PM
The Wizard
Douglas Wozny
1994/ Defender 90 #500

Radiator Fan Disintegrated

The fan disintegrating is no big deal. Things break and you get them fixed. But this incident brought up a question. Why does the radiator fan have a clutch? And how does it work? They say the clutch froze and this caused the fan to come apart. Can anyone explain to me why the clutch freezing would cause the fan to come apart?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 8th, 2012, 03:12 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

The fans are fragile and generally suck as they age. Having the clutch freeze should not cause the fan to explode, but 18 years of heat and cool cycles on not so great plastic and that is what happens. First they crack (everyone go check your fan for cracks) and then they let go. If your hood is not dented and your radiator not trashed, consider yourself lucky. With the clutch stuck on, the fan takes more stress.
Old October 8th, 2012, 03:32 PM
The Wizard
Douglas Wozny
1994/ Defender 90 #500

Hood is dented but no holes. The radiator has the holes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 8th, 2012, 03:38 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Well, that sucks. The new fans are supposed to be better and you were probably close to needing a radiator anyway. I would replace the water pump while I was at it as they are relatively cheap and you are probably due for a new one soon anyway.
Old October 8th, 2012, 04:01 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Irony here is I was poking around my truck last night as well. Found one of the fan blades broken off and lying down on the chassis. Just one blade...but I'm sure the others probably are due, and don't want to run it too long with a blade missing (since things can quickly get worse).

Though I don't think mine was age-related, but rather peer-pressure related (by my 3 year old son...who kept shouting "do it again!"). I'm pretty sure mine happened right about...HERE:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9480.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	180.8 KB
ID:	58726  
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old October 8th, 2012, 04:03 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Fix it now lest you have a dented hood and busted radiator.
Old October 8th, 2012, 04:07 PM
Reese_D90
Reese
97 D90 ST and 93 D110

Registry
Can just the plastic fan be replaced or do you need the unit? What's a good source?
NAS 1993 D110 CDN #11/25
1997 D90 ST #1953
2006 Range Rover
1997 D90 SW #701 (sold)
1995 D90 ST (sold)
Old October 8th, 2012, 04:08 PM
evilfij
evilfij

The fan is separate from the clutch. Not sure who has the best deal going. I have heard so some people using RRCs fans and some other solutions, but my stock one looks fine and I have a spare or two so I never figured it out.
Old October 8th, 2012, 04:14 PM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
I believe some of the NAS Defenders come with a 7 blade fan vice the Disco/RRC 11 blade setup; our (D1/RRC) fan moves a little more air. Fan clutch setup should go right in.

Not too hard to source an OE 11 blade from a pick n pull or what have you and then throw it on the fan clutch or put on an aftermarket (the Hayden 2626 is my current favorite as it is both cheap, and quiet).
r-
Ray
Old October 8th, 2012, 04:15 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reese_D90 View Post
Can just the plastic fan be replaced or do you need the unit? What's a good source?
Probably Justin @ Lucky8 I'd say...but I'm sure any of the usual suspects will carry it.

------ Follow up post added October 8th, 2012 04:16 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
Fix it now lest you have a dented hood and busted radiator.
You're right...ordering one now.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old October 8th, 2012, 04:17 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
Just few days ago Doug started a thread that explained how a replacement fan might be a good idea. I think he was suggesting one from a RRC.

I'm gonna check mine out
Old October 8th, 2012, 04:25 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Mine on the 90 is the 7-blade, have never had an issue with overheating/etc so probably would just stick with that since it's easier to slap on but I'll check out Doug's thread too.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old October 8th, 2012, 07:35 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
here is what he found

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=40242

tdi fan was what he says will work
Old October 8th, 2012, 07:54 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Disco 1 clutch and RRC 11 blade fan fit perfectly in v8 radiator shroud. That's what a few of us run.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old October 8th, 2012, 08:09 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
Disco 1 clutch and RRC 11 blade fan fit perfectly in v8 radiator shroud. That's what a few of us run.
So is the RRC 11-blade supposed to be more "stout" than the grenading 7-blade white fan? Will this fit with the existing clutch on a 3.9 V8? Or does it need to be swapped to the D1?

The above referenced Tdi fan I'm assuming likewise won't fit without swapping the clutch over as well?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old October 8th, 2012, 09:28 PM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
May want to check what kind of fan clutch you are running on your 3.9; i.e. if it's a 3 bolt setup for the fan clutch mating to the fan then the RRC fan should work, if it's a 4 bolt setup then you are talking a D1 11 blade fan.

Fairly certain the fan blade setup between the RRC and D1 is the same, just a matter of the bolt hole pattern.

My experience is with the D1 & the aftermarket fan clutch route, happy to reflect there if needed-pretty sure all would bolt up to your engine fine.
Old October 9th, 2012, 12:42 AM
1962siia88
Daniel Rogers
1962siia88

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wizard View Post
The fan disintegrating is no big deal. Things break and you get them fixed. But this incident brought up a question. Why does the radiator fan have a clutch? And how does it work? They say the clutch froze and this caused the fan to come apart. Can anyone explain to me why the clutch freezing would cause the fan to come apart?
I believe the fan clutch is an emissions related item. When the engine is cold the fan clutch slips more (ie-fan blades spin slower that the shaft that turns it) and allows the engine to come up to temperature faster(less emissions). Once the engine has fully warmed up the heat from the radiator causes some top secret voodoo that is beyond my technical comprehension to happen that locks up the fan clutch and the fan blades spin at the speed of the shaft that turns them. The plastic fans get brittle with age and a fan clutch that is locked up all the time would put more stress on the spinning fan than one working properly, but I doubt your fan clutch just froze instantly and caused your fan to grenade. Probably just a crusty old fan blade and a locked up fan clutch. I've mostly experienced fan clutches failing the other way where they dont lock up at all. On a 91 RRC I used to own I had it over heat on the way to the Grand Canyon (fully loaded inside and full roof rack towing tent trailer full of beer!). The fan clutch failed in the unlocked position. I pulled a sheet metal screw off the body somewhere and jammed it into the fan clutch between the body of the clutch and the nut that threads on to the water pump. It locked the clutch up and things were cool again after that. My fan didn't break. I did however replace it when I replaced the fan clutch after that trip and also recently replaced the one on my current RRC when I bought a new radiator for it.

Hope your repairs go smoothly.

Daniel
Old October 10th, 2012, 06:38 AM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

I believe there's an Imperial metal fan that will fit, or will fit with slight trimming of the blades.

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
fan, radiator