R380 Transmission breather pissing fluid - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 21st, 2013, 06:11 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
R380 Transmission breather pissing fluid

Did the clutch on my 90 ('94 NAS, R380). Had the trans/tcase down and out as entire unit using a lift and tranny jack. Trans/tcase stayed upright during entire time out of truck and on the trans jack (i.e. didn't get shuffled around or layed on it's side/etc).

Reinstalled everything, and had cleared/cleaned the breathers as well as the banjo fittings on the trans & tcase.

My trans breather is PISSING fluid out of the end of the breather...and I don't know why. Obviously it's over-pressurizing, and first thought was clogged breather - but then I realized it wouldn't be coming OUT of it was clogged.

It was hot today (90deg), and I was cruising down the highway probably doing 75-ish (which, keep in mind I'm running 4.7 gears so that's some high 3500rpms). However, nothing I haven't done before....or close to that speed towing a Sankey loaded with gear, and it's never done this before.

Thoughts?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 21st, 2013, 06:55 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Did you overfill the transmission?
Old August 21st, 2013, 07:56 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
Did you overfill the transmission?
No, I actually didnt even drain it...been running the same MTL since last year.

Best I can figure is maybe my breather was clogged before, and now it's opened up my high-speed highway run was a bit much on the trans and fluid? Seems odd, but about the only thing I can come up with.

Checked both fill plugs on trans & tcase - trans was down about 1/2 Qt, tcase where it usually is. Drained & refilled trans to see what happens.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 21st, 2013, 08:44 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
First of all, a lift? Are you holding out on us?

As for your issue, did you clear the breather after it was installed or before? If before, you could have got oil in while installing. Another potential is th seal between teh tranny and tcase is going out and pumping fluid from one to teh other.

-Jeff
Lift is in the family, not mine .

The trans fluid really didnt seem mixed, but I thought the same about the seal between the tcase & trans but really doesn't seem like it or itd be mixed fluid.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
r380, transmission