Defender Source Forum banner

R380 Transmission breather pissing fluid

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  nathanwind 
#1 · (Edited)
Did the clutch on my 90 ('94 NAS, R380). Had the trans/tcase down and out as entire unit using a lift and tranny jack. Trans/tcase stayed upright during entire time out of truck and on the trans jack (i.e. didn't get shuffled around or layed on it's side/etc).

Reinstalled everything, and had cleared/cleaned the breathers as well as the banjo fittings on the trans & tcase.

My trans breather is PISSING fluid out of the end of the breather...and I don't know why. Obviously it's over-pressurizing, and first thought was clogged breather - but then I realized it wouldn't be coming OUT of it was clogged.

It was hot today (90deg), and I was cruising down the highway probably doing 75-ish (which, keep in mind I'm running 4.7 gears so that's some high 3500rpms). However, nothing I haven't done before....or close to that speed towing a Sankey loaded with gear, and it's never done this before.

Thoughts?

#3 ·
No, I actually didnt even drain it...been running the same MTL since last year.

Best I can figure is maybe my breather was clogged before, and now it's opened up my high-speed highway run was a bit much on the trans and fluid? Seems odd, but about the only thing I can come up with.

Checked both fill plugs on trans & tcase - trans was down about 1/2 Qt, tcase where it usually is. Drained & refilled trans to see what happens.

This post has been deleted
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.