R380 Tranny rebuild - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 14th, 2014, 03:50 PM
woza
Manny Backman
'68 109 3 door S Wagon R/H drive

Registry
R380 Tranny rebuild

I am in the process of assembling my R380 tranny.
My questions are :-Why are the roll pins in the back of the main shaft only 10mm long?
I have use 2 pins and I assume the pins are there to keep the split thrust washer in place is this correct
What keeps the split thrust washer retaining ring from moving the inner race or outer race of the rear main shaft bearing..
I am using the workshop manual loaded off the web but it only shows 1 roll pin
I have added the photos of the main shaft with the roll pins in place and also the split thrust washer and retaining ring
Can somebody please let me know if inserting 2 pins is the correct way. I lost the other pin/pins in the mess in my garage so I am not sure if that is the correct way. The WS manual just says install the spring pin(roll pin)
Thanks in advance for your advice
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1007.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	108672   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1008.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	108673  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1009.JPG
Views:	197
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	108674  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 5th, 2015, 10:41 AM
woza
Manny Backman

Registry
Talking R380 is back together

Just a heads up on the R380 that I was working on. The roll pin in the main shaft Ashcroft say they don't install the roll pin. The pin does not really seem to hold anything in place Also make sure you put the selector fork interlock spools in the correct way or else you have to strip the gearbox to get them in correctly. I got the gearbox back together and it shifts into the correct gears. Stripping the gearbox without the correct tools in a PITA. Cost of the tools is almost the price of a gearbox from Ashcroft Transmissions. So if you are doing more gearboxes in the future that can pay for the tools buy them or else get a rebuilt gearbox shipped in.
Old January 5th, 2015, 01:44 PM
galen216
Galen Lentz
'98 D1

Registry
Those are the two exact same issues I ran into. I did unfortunately put the spools in incorrectly and had to redo the box. The manual for that particular sequence with the spools was terrible.

I bought a press to do the job and found most of it was easy once I had that. I never imagined how much I would use the press once I owned it. It has paid for itself many times over in just one year.
Advertisement

Old January 6th, 2015, 07:40 AM
woza
Manny Backman

Registry
Thumbs up R380 is back together

Yup Galen bought a 12 ton press and the tools. Stripping the box to put the spools in the correct way was a breeze. Pressing on the oil seal collar was a bit tough with the special tool but I did not want to use the press because I think it does put pressure on the internal bearings and that gearbox is heavy to lug around by hand by yourself in a 1car garage packed full of Land Rover and a lot of stuff with little place to move.
Old January 6th, 2015, 08:43 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
I'd love to see a full writeup of an r380 rebuild. what tools do you need on hand?

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old January 6th, 2015, 01:30 PM
woza
Manny Backman

Registry
Unhappy R380 rebuild

Sorry did not take step by step photos of the build But i can say taking it apart was PITA because I do not have access to a well equipped work shop with multiple pullers and slap hammers. All I have at home are 3 pullers a press and a garage filled with a 109 and a lot of other crap that I have to step over I trashed 3 taper bearings during the assembly, it is the bearing lives between the input shaft and the main-shaft. Getting that bearing off calls for a special tool. With out the tool the cage comes off with the rollers then the inner rave has minimum grip area for a puller. NO GAP behind the bearing inner race for a clam shell and the main-shaft But that is how it is designed. To put the taper bearings on the main shaft and on the input shaft I went and bought a 12 ton press from Harbour Freight.$129-00 I think. The special tools are hugely expensive.Better to order a re-built box from Ashcroft. The rebuild kit from with bearings, syncro baulkrings and seals is 190 UK pounds so it is not cheap.
Old January 11th, 2015, 06:07 PM
Arlo
Kurt Ohlendorf
1997/130CC

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by woza View Post
The special tools are hugely expensive.
That's right!

On the other hand you make them yourself?

Extractor to remove the bush of the out comming shaft of a LT77:

Well, it took some time but it works!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
r380, rebuild