R380 synchro question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 25th, 2010, 08:07 PM
mattm
Matthias Moran
1963 109

R380 synchro question

If you look at the attached photos you'll see two pictures, both of them are of a baulk ring held up against the 1st/2nd synchro hub of my R380 (on the 2nd gear side.) If you look closely you can see that the baulk ring is able to rotate significantly more in one direction than in the other. I've tried several different baulk rings (new and old) and they are all the same. If I try them against the other synchro hubs however, they can rotate about the same amount in each direction.

Is this the reason why the gearbox was grinding into second gear when I tried to shift from first to second ?
Or is it meant to be like this for some reason ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0248.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	24692   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0249.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	24693  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 25th, 2010, 10:29 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
you got an r380? or was this the one out of your 110? I feel like they all grind a bit if you don't shift right. How can it rotate more in one direction. isn't it really just a set number of degrees of free rotation? just a total amount since they generally float until they are pushed together? could it have to do with direction of rotation of the gears? anyway, I would inspect the engagement splines in the hub for wear and if they are at all worn, replace. put in new baulk rings and only use redline of the proper variety (is it MTL? I forget) or other D-90 source approved lube of your choosing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattm View Post
If you look at the attached photos you'll see two pictures, both of them are of a baulk ring held up against the 1st/2nd synchro hub of my R380 (on the 2nd gear side.) If you look closely you can see that the baulk ring is able to rotate significantly more in one direction than in the other. I've tried several different baulk rings (new and old) and they are all the same. If I try them against the other synchro hubs however, they can rotate about the same amount in each direction.

Is this the reason why the gearbox was grinding into second gear when I tried to shift from first to second ?
Or is it meant to be like this for some reason ?
Old January 26th, 2010, 10:40 AM
mattm
Matthias Moran
1963 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
How can it rotate more in one direction. isn't it really just a set number of degrees of free rotation? just a total amount since they generally float until they are pushed together?
I should explain a bit better...
If you look at the first picture you'll see that the baulk ring is rotated one way as far as it will go but the spikes on the baulk ring are still only slightly misaligned with the splines on the hub. My theory is that this is not properly preventing the synchro sleeve from sliding past the baulk ring and grinding on the second gear.

The second picture shows the baulk ring rotated the other way as far as it will go and you can see that the baulk ring spikes are much more misaligned with the hub splines. This possibly explains why, although the 1st to 2nd shift used to grind really badly (like no synchromesh at all), the 3rd to 2nd shift was ok (although maybe a bit slow.)

This gearbox is one that I took out of my 110 a couple of years ago. It's been previously rebuild (maybe several times.) Shortly after I bought the whole LT77 setup from Ren Ching, I discovered that Ashcroft had started to remanufacture the 200tdi short bellhousings for the r380 so decided to use this on my 109 instead of the LT77.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
r380