R380 source opinions - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 6th, 2005, 06:10 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

R380 source opinions

So my tranny is in dire need of replacement and I wanted to know where you guys think the best place / price to find an R380. I know George has some rebuilds for good prices but... no go there.
Do you guys think a rebuilt R380 is a bad idea?
Any good sources for low milage trannys?
Any other input would be great.

Thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 6th, 2005, 06:19 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Send yours to Rob D (roadsiderob) for a rebuild - he's supposedly all that and a bag of chips.
Old December 6th, 2005, 06:26 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

Steve,
Do you need an R380 for a V8 or 300Tdi? What is wrong with the one you have? Do you want to have yours rebuilt or do an exchange? What is the serial number on your transmission?...it is stamped on a boss on the casting just ahead of the drain plug. I'm not sure if you can get a new one at this point. I rebuild a lot of these and a well done rebuild is a good value. You can call me if you'd like and we can discuss this in more detail.

Thanks Jim!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 6th, 2005, 07:06 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
No problem Rob - I'm just buttering you up in case I need some work done
Old December 6th, 2005, 08:43 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

Sounds good Rob, I'll give you a call tomorrow.
Old December 6th, 2005, 08:48 PM
jaherring
Jason Herring
94 D90 ST #1253

In the continuing story of how I bought the junkiest D90 on the planet, I will probably need a rebuilt transmission also (according to the no-good-lying PO, it has a new trans in it - fat chance). I'm interested as well, but would want to do a 'swap', not tear mine out and wait for a rebuild. It's also a problem shipping, since I'm on the west coast (Los Angeles area).

I'm synchro-gnashing in 1st, 2nd and 3rd. If I shift slowly & wait for the thing to 'catch up' it shifts fine - but a fast-ish shift results in unpleasant grind-clunking.

Now I have a new noise, which I thought at first sounded very much like a piston pin problem (that deep rattle when under certain types of load - almost diesel-ish, not too loud, though). I can hear this when moving around in first gear and the engine-drivetrain sort of roll the 'load' back and forth...if you know what I'm talking about (accompanied by some mild lurching of the vehicle). What really threw me for a loop was that I was able to hear that engine-sounding noise when shoving the stick into 1st gear, clutch depressed, when slowing to a stop (so it's definitely trans-related). I've never heard a trans make that kind of noise before... don't know what could be wrong with it...
Old December 6th, 2005, 09:56 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

Jason,
Is it an R380 or LT77? Shipping is not a problem...I ship transmissions all over the country. In the interim, until you can have it replaced, try double clutching. Also, a switch to Royal Purple Synchromax transmission oil may help things live a bit longer.
Rob
Old December 6th, 2005, 10:15 PM
jaherring
Jason Herring
94 D90 ST #1253

It's an R380 on a 3.9L. I was talking about shipping being a concern to keep the price down, but then I've never shipped a transmission before, I assume it would be quite expensive due to the weight.

I already run a synthetic fluid in the trans - it's similar to the Redline, but a different manufacturer... I think it did come in a purple bottle, don't remember with certainty (it's been a year since I had the fluid changed).

I know you don't have much to go on, but any idea what that noise could be caused by? The synchros I understand, but that moderate load-rattling is one noise I've not heard a transmission make...I might not have done a good job describing it.

You can PM me any quotes, my zip is 90731 for shipping.
Old December 7th, 2005, 12:20 AM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

Quaffe 6-speed sequential. Bolts in, empties wallet, but I really want one.

DW
Old December 7th, 2005, 08:26 PM
Neo
Jeffrey Rosbrugh
95 D90 ST #2585

Jason, I have an extra R380 that needs a rebuild I can loan you till you get yours rebuilt and then you can send me yours that need rebuilt for me to put back in my "inventory of crap." That is the boss's (read wife) term, not mine, they are all treasures in my mind. I bought the tranny for this exact scenario cause I have a little no-load knock that Mike H and I surmised is the trasnfer case slop and pretty normal, but, I thought I needed a new tranny and figured I would buy this one and eventually (underscored) rebuild it as a spare for when the time comes. Shipping may be a pain, but if you are interested it is yours. On the other note, my lurching noise is kinda like yours it sounds, but not coming from the tranny. One thing Mike taught me to do was take the back cover off the transfer case and inspect the input gear / output (tranny) splines for wear. I also cut an oil hole in the gear while I was in there, and overfill the x-fer just cause I am paranoid about those splines. Good luck, let me know.
Old December 7th, 2005, 11:23 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

I always thought the output/input wear issue between the tranny and transfer case was with the LT77's. I also have a whole big supply of clunks, whirrrrrrs, and jingles somewhere in my drivetrain that drives me nuts, so I feel your pain.

Though, honestly, I'm more looking at possibly putting in a TH400 or T-5 instead of keeping with the Rover units should mine let go.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old December 8th, 2005, 10:54 AM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

The spline wear problem occurs with both LT77s and R380s. If memory serves correctly, the cross drilled input gears were introduced in late 1995. I believe that the 500 wagons had the drilled gears as they came out late in 1995. There was a product update campaign to fit the oiling plates to the prior production vehicles. If the damage was bad enough, the mainshaft was replaced, however, it was a judgement call. There is usually some amount of spline wear on 1994/1995 Defenders. Fitting the oiling plate generally stopped any minimal wear from getting much worse.
Old December 8th, 2005, 12:22 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

AHhhh, ok. Makes sense to me. I may also be in need of a new transmission as well in the near fute. When the time comes, I'll need to decide on keeping the LT-77 or swapping into an R380. But before I go around ordering one, I'll need to identify exactly what the problem is.

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
r380