R380 Kaput??? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 17th, 2017, 08:00 PM
ghfaris
Graham
1984 D-110

R380 Kaput???

Looking for advice on what to do about my transmission.

R380 behind a 4.6L. Very new drivetrain (about 2000miles). The only stress this drivetrain has seen is the hot temperatures here.

Started this morning fine but i had difficulty finding 5th and Reverse. When I got to work, reverse was even harder to find while parking. Upon leaving reverse was elusive again, but eventually worked and I got to leave. Once I reached the road I started to accelerate and couldn't get it into 3rd. I got it stuck in what I think was 4th gear and made it most of the way home using the one gear and the overdrive. I took it out of 4th and could not get it back. I got it in a lower gear(maybe 2nd) and made the last bit of the drive in that.

It won't index through the gears and the stick felt detached when in neutral. I took apart the shift mechanism and it looks ok but I cant get the linkage to move through its positions. Wont move over to 5th Reverse at all. I put it back together and I can go forward in one gear, which I can't get it out of now.

I did some googling and learned:
1) Possible layshaft failure?
2) or worse.

When it cools down I am going to drain the fluid to look for crunchy bits. Im kinda of pissed right now and don't want to get hot oil on me at the moment.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Graham

------ Follow up post added October 17th, 2017 07:08 PM ------

Drained it. No metal chunks and not much on the magnet.

???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 17th, 2017, 08:46 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

The selector on the shaft has come loose, held in place by a hex head screw.
Tighten it back up and use some lock tight.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old October 17th, 2017, 09:08 PM
ghfaris
Graham
1984 D-110

Going to check it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 17th, 2017, 09:23 PM
ghfaris
Graham
1984 D-110

I took apart the gear change housing and looked at the selector. The trunnion is tight on the selector shaft. I can get it to move freely from 3-4. It has no resistance, just slides back and forth. I can get it to lean left, but will not move into 5. I can get it to lean left and move rearwards into reverse position. I can not get it to lean right at all. It is stuck in a forward gear, I am not sure which one. At no time in moving the selector do feel like I am moving into or out of gear.

Any ideas?
Old October 18th, 2017, 12:06 AM
DiscoDavis
C Davis
1990 110, 1995 Disco

Clutch issue or selector fork?
Old October 20th, 2017, 11:36 AM
ghfaris
Graham
1984 D-110

Thanks to RDavisinVA and Dave Ashcroft (who replied to an inquiry through his website) I determined it was the Grub Screw at the back of the selector shaft that had come loose.
You have to take the tunnel off and you can barely get the cover off without lifting the seatbox. The screw had backed almost all the way out and was doing two things: 1) Not engaging the shaft, so no movement of linkages 2) Protruding far enough out to get stuck on the inhibitor cam on the side of the casing.
Through the clear lens of hindsight I determined that this problem had warnings signs. Sporadic difficulty in finding gears, sloppy feeling in stick shift. Now it is shifting like it should, BIG difference.
Old October 20th, 2017, 01:00 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Glad it had a happy ending.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
r380