R380 in an NAS 97 D90 Conversion? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 7th, 2008, 12:47 PM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

R380 in an NAS 97 D90 Conversion?

Has anyone ever heard of this being done? I searched and did not see anything on this particular subject.

Aside from the obvious cost, console differences and miscellaneous bits required to do this, is there anything specific to the NAS 97 D that would make this an absurdly impractical swap?

Specifically, I am wondering about:

1. Any interface issues with a 4.0 GEMS vs 3.9 14-CUX ?
2. ECU mapping ?
3. Wiring?
4. 97 AC issues?
5. Bulkhead / Transmission / Floor differences ? (any cutting required?)
6. Frame transmission mount differences?
7. Anything else you can think of?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 7th, 2008, 01:16 PM
WhiteD90
Johnathan Tisdale
93 110, 90 RockRR buggy

Tyler Wirken did this on his LE, he may have posted some info here.
Old May 7th, 2008, 02:04 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Just curious, why would you want too? My personal opinion is that the auto is better off-road, or at least on the rocks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 7th, 2008, 05:42 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
your bias. Why not just trade in on a 95 or 94?
Old May 7th, 2008, 05:47 PM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by woldd90
Just curious, why would you want too? My personal opinion is that the auto is better off-road, or at least on the rocks.
Fair question. A bit more power, and maybe a skosh better mileage - oh, and a spare R380 in the garage taunting me to do it....
Old May 7th, 2008, 08:07 PM
Tyler Wirken
Tyler Wirken
1997 Defender 90 LE

Hey Garth PM me and I can see what I remember about it. It was pretty straight forward to be honest. No tunnel issues, the carpet under the auto console is actually already trimmed out for the manual, I had to rewire the truck to make it think it was in park, and there is one sensor on the flywheel that had to me modified. But I can help you with the details if i can remember.

Reason I did it was I burned up the auto in Moab and it was a great excuse to do the conversion as I always wanted a 5 speed in that truck.

Where I come from we do alot of trail driving sometimes in pretty nasty wet conditions and I missed the downhill control of a manual. Plus I just enjoy driving it more. I seem to be able to get more performance out of it as I can push more out of each gear. I could be imagining this, but it just feels better.

Crawling in a manual is pretty fun anyway. More of a challenge but certainly do able.

Tyler
Old May 7th, 2008, 08:59 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
its the only way to have a Defender IMO.
Old May 7th, 2008, 09:38 PM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4
its the only way to have a Defender IMO.
you're bias!

Sound interesting. I think manuals are more fun to drive, autos are better for traffic, girlfriends/wives.

97 D90 SW
Old May 7th, 2008, 09:55 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by GYM
Has anyone ever heard of this being done? I searched and did not see anything on this particular subject.

Aside from the obvious cost, console differences and miscellaneous bits required to do this, is there anything specific to the NAS 97 D that would make this an absurdly impractical swap?

2. ECU mapping ?
3. Wiring?
4. 97 AC issues?

Thanks.
The Disco come with 5-spd and the same engine as the '97 D90, I don't see why this would not be possible.
I am partial to 5-spd, but then... I don't like rocks too much and like to push the pedals and move the stick!
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Old May 7th, 2008, 10:02 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Don't get me wrong, I too like a manual transmission, but just not off-road. Who would ever want an automatic sports car? Like an Automatic Ferrari?

Old May 7th, 2008, 10:05 PM
PCRover
Gary Young
'94 90ST -> SW

GYM, I am in the process of going the other way on my '94. Putting an auto in it and removing a good condition R380 (~30k miles on it). Contact me if you are interested in any of the parts I am removing. I might be able to some of your pieces if you decide to do it.

Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by GYM

2. ECU mapping ?
3. Wiring?
4. 97 AC issues?

Thanks.
Old May 7th, 2008, 10:16 PM
mpsteil
Michael Steil
NAS 110#23,97 ST#665

I will vouch for Gary's R380. I sold him the truck and the tranny was more than strong. I wanted it to put in my 110 to go back to manual but the wife shot it down. Very strong and smooth trans.
Old May 7th, 2008, 10:55 PM
Tyler Wirken
Tyler Wirken
1997 Defender 90 LE

Garth I would totally take Gary up on the offer. That is what I did. I did the swap with a guy in town that had a 94 90. That way we just swapped parts. Much easier. I actually ended doing most of the work on both trucks.

Going from a manual to an auto was much harder. If you wanted to retain all the safety features you had to really dive into the wiring and get creative on the manual to make it act like an auto. For example it will not start unless it is in park or neutral, can not shift to low range unless in park or neutral etc.........

But yeah just swap parts flywheels, and all.

Pretty interesting project though doing both sides.
Old May 8th, 2008, 07:00 PM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I appreciate it.
Tyler, I will contact you.

Garth
Old May 9th, 2008, 12:15 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
I wheel some of the toughest rock trails just about anywhere, and I love the stick. It's not nearly as easy, but the challenge of it, true gear selection, and controled decents are sweet. A perfect example was a waterfall in JV where you have to have big tire spin in order to go up the face. You can only back up about 3 feet once you get vertical to gain momentum. I was the only one in the group to make it. Not because I had the best truck, but because I was the only one with a manual. I was able to put it in third, redline the engine, and drop it. The auto guys could not get the torque converters to hook up fast enough to make it.

Of course, watching better trucks than you have get stiemied is always a good time.

Long winded, but the issue is certainly not black and white.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old May 9th, 2008, 06:24 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

you'll need a flywheel out of something with GEMS. Probably a Disco will work. Last time I did this I used (I think) the flywheel from a Euro spec Range Rover P38 manual.
Technically speaking there are some other things that should be done with the management auto vs. manual, but I'd not worry too much about it. It's worse going the other way (converting to auto).

new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old May 9th, 2008, 09:21 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
I wheel some of the toughest rock trails just about anywhere, and I love the stick. It's not nearly as easy, but the challenge of it, true gear selection, and controled decents are sweet. A perfect example was a waterfall in JV where you have to have big tire spin in order to go up the face. You can only back up about 3 feet once you get vertical to gain momentum. I was the only one in the group to make it. Not because I had the best truck, but because I was the only one with a manual. I was able to put it in third, redline the engine, and drop it. The auto guys could not get the torque converters to hook up fast enough to make it.

Of course, watching better trucks than you have get stiemied is always a good time.

Long winded, but the issue is certainly not black and white.
I will give you that... For those of us that know how to drive, I agree. But, I have seen a ton of guys try and navigate big V ditches, trenches and steep inclines that can't manage 3 pedels, the stick and the steering wheel.

Old May 9th, 2008, 11:40 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
I will give you that... For those of us that know how to drive, I agree. But, I have seen a ton of guys try and navigate big V ditches, trenches and steep inclines that can't manage 3 pedels, the stick and the steering wheel.
Truth! But there are trail tampons with autos too. Just opinion, there is no right and wrong.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old November 5th, 2008, 05:53 PM
Lriwater
Chuck Niskey
1994 D-90

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonLand
The Disco come with 5-spd and the same engine as the '97 D90, I don't see why this would not be possible.
I am partial to 5-spd, but then... I don't like rocks too much and like to push the pedals and move the stick!
I'm a Defender Newb...
From the above comment, would it be fairly straight forward to swap a disco engine and 5-spd tranny into a '97 D-90? Would the drive shafts need to be different lengths? Engine swaps don't scare me too much (but they should...). I just swapped a diesel / 5-speed into a gasser/auto LandCruiser.
Thanks.
Old November 5th, 2008, 07:21 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
Rear driveshaft needs in disco is longer than d90 (and uses a rotary coupler). Need to use a d90 driveshaft.
You'd likely keep the same transfer-case (high ratio is higher in a disco). Changing auto to 5 speed is interesting since folks tend to go the other way. I'd assume that the ECU would have to be swapped as well?
That's more the electronic part of it/details that worries me. The speedo of the D90 is different than the disco speedo, so I'd assume you'd have to make sure you get the right sender (again, might just want to keep the T/C from the D90?).

Anyway, no real life experience, so I'll let others that did it give you some hints.
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, 97, 97 d90, conversion, d90, nas, r380